Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Mounting front license plate on 01 EX

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vilago is an unknown quantity at this point
Mounting front license plate on 01 EX

First time post.
Trying like hell to figure out how to mount the license plate, this is seriously driving me nuts . we've had the car for 5 years and didn't need a front plate until now. I ddidn't think it would be this hard but after looking at a couple other civics in the parking lot, I feel that something is wrong with the front bumper. maybe it's from a different car, I dunno. previous owner was clearly a toolbag that much is clear.... But take a look at the pictures... You can see that the holes for the bracket aren't even close to lining up (i thought license plate hole spacing was standard??) and inside those holes there is absolutely nothing to screw into. no grommet, no threads nothing. I already got a stupid ticket from a DC POS parking enforcement asswipe so I will resort to a getto phab if needed but i'd like to get this thing put on right. can someone with an '01 show me how the plate is attached?
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fwazxvf99...Lpv3veFF4dc-ba
Old 11-14-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Mounting front license plate on 01 EX

mine screwed directly to the bumper, drill it and use a screw that holds into it.
Old 11-14-2014
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
mine screwed directly to the bumper, drill it and use a screw that holds into it.
If a car went to a state that does not need a front plate, it did not get the bumper attachment for a plate. The dealer has one for about $35. He gave me one since it's not a normally stocked item. Click on below for a thread for a newer car.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-holes.html
Old 11-14-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
If a car went to a state that does not need a front plate, it did not get the bumper attachment for a plate. The dealer has one for about $35. He gave me one since it's not a normally stocked item. Click on below for a thread for a newer car.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-holes.html
why are there already holes in it then? I'm confused how this bracket is different than the one i already have. i already bought a second one thinking it would be different or the bracket i had was wrong and ended up getting the same thing again. can you give me a part number and a picture so i can see what this thing is?
Old 11-15-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by vilago
why are there already holes in it then? I'm confused how this bracket is different than the one i already have. i already bought a second one thinking it would be different or the bracket i had was wrong and ended up getting the same thing again. can you give me a part number and a picture so i can see what this thing is?
DID YOU CLICK ON https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-holes.html
Sure the part man at the Honda dealer can sort it out. The two upper holes you see in the bumper may be for the bracket that you are missing. I know on mine, it did not have these holes and the lower area where the bracket actually attached hat two square windows that the fingers of the bracket snapped in. You could just drill two more holes in the bumper about 3/16" (look up behind it first and only go thru the plastic bumper) Then you could get two SS 5/16 sheet metal screws and bolt it on the top two. However then the bottom floats and if you ever went thru a car wash with a big brush, it could make a mess of it with no lower support.
Old 11-15-2014
Registered!!

DID YOU CLICK ON https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-holes.html
Sure the part man at the Honda dealer can sort it out. The two upper holes you see in the bumper may be for the bracket that you are missing. I know on mine, it did not have these holes and the lower area where the bracket actually attached hat two square windows that the fingers of the bracket snapped in. You could just drill two more holes in the bumper about 3/16" (look up behind it first and only go thru the plastic bumper) Then you could get two SS 5/16 sheet metal screws and bolt it on the top two. However then the bottom floats and if you ever went thru a car wash with a big brush, it could make a mess of it with no lower support.
I don't know that there is a missing bracket. the only bracket i saw on the parts fiche is what I ordered (see pic in first post) and as you can see, no way is that going to attach. i don't understand what the holes are for if there are no threads and nothing for a screw to go into as they are about 1/4" in diameter, much too large for a screw
Old 11-15-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by vilago
I don't know that there is a missing bracket. the only bracket i saw on the parts fiche is what I ordered (see pic in first post) and as you can see, no way is that going to attach. i don't understand what the holes are for if there are no threads and nothing for a screw to go into as they are about 1/4" in diameter, much too large for a screw
i assume you are referring to the bracket I see around your plate. What does the bracket look like on the back side? Just looking at the fish, I assume it's flat. The bolt call out is self tapping. So I assume, you put the plate in the bracket and shoot the bolt bolts thru the plat,bracket and into the plastic bumper. Someone must have obviously had some odd ball plate on there before you got car.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 11-15-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2014
Registered!!

i assume you are referring to the bracket I see around your plate. What does the bracket look like on the back side? Just looking at the fish, I assume it's flat. The bolt call out is self tapping. So I assume, you put the plate in the bracket and shoot the bolt bolts thru the plat,bracket and into the plastic bumper. Someone must have obviously had some odd ball plate on there before you got car.
yep that is what I am going to assume at this point, that the PO had some international plate on there or something. the holes in the OEM flat bracket are oblong to allow for some lateral movement and cradle the plate but that's it. I also bought the honda "self tapping" screws just in case but are essentially just as you described, like large sheet metal screws. looks like i'm going to have to resort to ghetto phab at this point. thanks for helping to clear this up, at least i know i'm not going crazy trying to figure this out