Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 DX doesn't start, even after jump!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shiredan2 is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 DX doesn't start, even after jump!

Hey guys, first time posting, but been getting advice from you guys for a while. Would love some help!

My 2003 DX 1.7 manual trans is not starting this morning, electrical system (dash, radio, cabin light) turns on with key fine. But when I turn the ignition to start position the engine does not turn over, doesnt make a sound. I thought it was a weak battery but hooked it up to a jump starter, no luck, same thing. The engine makes not a peep when i turn the ignition to start, it usually would at least give me a couple of weak turns but it wont even make noise.

Any ideas? Quick fixes?

Last edited by shiredan2; 09-17-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-17-2014
Zed
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2003 DX doesn't start, even after jump!

Give the starting motor a couple taps with a spanner or wrench...light forceful taps, not dent inducing taps and try starting it again.
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

the first thing to do is disconnect your battery, clean the battery terminals and the connectors using a clean rag and a mixture of water and baking soda,

use a wire brush if nessessary, and concentrate on the INSIDE of the battery loops where the make contact with the battery posts,

poor battery connections can cause this problem even with a strong battery or jump,

also check the ground points/straps between the battery and frame, frame and engine, etc, make sure they are tight and clean
Old 09-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

it usually would at least give me a couple of weak turns
but it wont even make noise.
So it's been slowly dying but you ignored it, and now it's completely dead?