Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kpmilke is an unknown quantity at this point
Cruise Control Issue

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX. Recently I have been having some issues with my cruise control not wanting to turn on and not wanting to stay on. I will have the master cruise control switch turned on while driving and I will hit the set cruise control button. Sometimes the cruise control will turn on. Other times it will not set, even if I hit the button 50 times. However, even if it does finally decide to set after pressing it a bunch it wont always stay on. Sometimes it will shut off immediately, other times it will stay on for a minute and then shut off. I haven't noticed any sort of patterns with this issue. I took it to the dealer and they said that my Electric Load Detector (ELD) in the under the hood fuse box had failed and that was causing the issue. I replaced the part myself seeing as it was cheaper and fairly easy to replace. It did not solve the problem. I am hoping that someone can help me pin point the issue because I do not want to spend hundreds of more dollars taking it to the dealer just for them to not solve the issue.
Old 06-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cruise Control Issue

ELD has nothing to do with the cruise.

You seemed to describe a failing control unit.
I'd try to rule out the brake switch first though.

HTH
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
konradlisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cruise Control Issue

It might be a chip on your cruise control module overheating. The module is inside a black plastic case about the size of a cigarette case. it is mounted to the underside of the dash near your steering column. Remove the front bottom dash panel and look up for a box. It is mounted with one bolt. I think 8 or10mm. Remove the bolt then open up the black case holding the module. remove the circuit board from the case, this is your module. Next leave it connected and just hanging by your leg. Turn on your a/c and adjust your vent so a/c comes out dash and floor. Test drive your car with the cruise on. When and if your cruise kicks off by itself again then feel the module, in my case one of the chips, cpu's? was very warm. When it cooled off the cruise would work for a longer time than usual.
I fixed mine for less than $10.
1 I bought a 12v mini cooling computer fan - small 40mm x 10mm on ebay for less than $6
2 I drilled a 1" hole in the black case that holds the module on the opposite side of the chip that was overheating
3 I drilled several 3/8" holes in the other side ofthe black case and also drilled holes in the edges
4 I mounted the fan on the case with 4 small screws i had in a junk drawer
5 I made the power wire 8" longer by splicing and ran that to a fuse on the fuseblock (there is one right of your module 10" or so) that is off when the key is off and on when the key is on. I hooked the ground wire to the mounting bolt for the black case.
6 I put module back in case hooked up wires remounted black case and verified fan on when ignition on and off when ignition off.

This solved my problem. In the summer I keep my ac directed to dah/floor position. I have driven 1 1/2 hours without my cruise kicking off. Hope this helps some others as I really missed not having cruise control.......well besides the 2 to 8 minutes I might get in the winter.