Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

VTEC wont work

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prestond17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: VTEC wont work

Well I'm almost 100% sure they were connected to the right plugs......... BUT i did buy the sensor (from pull N pay) that plugs into the VTEC and cut my old one off and spliced the new one in because mine was damaged and it only had one wire in it and i figured it was supposed to have 2 wires since the one i got from Pull n pay has 2 wires, the one i put on has a blue wire and a black wire, why does it have a black wire? Ground?... That shouldn't be a problem right?

Also that thing that doesn't have anything plugged into it is exactly where it says knock sensor on that pic you just sent... So am i missing something? And if so what's that mean? Please let me no ASAP, I'm trying to fix as much as i can right now
Old 05-25-2014
Registered!!

Exclamation Re: VTEC wont work

So your saying the oil light issue has nothing to do with the VTEC not working? If not I'll worry about that after i fix my VTEC. And yea i bought a honda book but i dont fully understand how to read wire diagrams... I guess i can figure that out on YouTube tho, why do you ask? I looked in it a little and i couldn't find anything to help with my problem.

Also i forgot i had someone tell me my car was in "LIMP MODE" do you no anything about that? Ever heard of it?
Old 05-25-2014
Registered!!

Re: VTEC wont work

My oil pressure switch wire goes up to the left tho not to the right like in the picture, someone must have just put it on the wrong bracket at some point. Idk
Old 05-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prestond17
Well I'm almost 100% sure they were connected to the right plugs......... BUT i did buy the sensor (from pull N pay) that plugs into the VTEC and cut my old one off and spliced the new one in because mine was damaged and it only had one wire in it and i figured it was supposed to have 2 wires since the one i got from
Did you pay money for the dealer to not see any of this?

Pull n pay has 2 wires, the one i put on has a blue wire and a black wire, why does it have a black wire? Ground?... That shouldn't be a problem right?
The wire (engine harness) colors going to the switch should be brn/yel and blu/blk

Also that thing that doesn't have anything plugged into it is exactly where it says knock sensor on that pic you just sent... So am i missing something? And if so what's that mean? Please let me no ASAP, I'm trying to fix as much as i can right now
Yep, it sounds like you must be missing something. A 3 wire connector. And you should have a knock sensor code if it is unplugged.

So your saying the oil light issue has nothing to do with the VTEC not working?
Can't say it for sure yet, not until one figures it all out.

I think the oil pressure light is not caused by low oil pressure, but rather caused by something else grounding the yellow/red wire. Now if someone plugged THAT wire into the gray connector on the VTEC, then that would make it a related problem.

If not I'll worry about that after i fix my VTEC. And yea i bought a honda book but i dont fully understand how to read wire diagrams... I guess i can figure that out on YouTube tho, why do you ask? I looked in it a little and i couldn't find anything to help with my problem.
You wanted to know how to get the cluster out.

Plus, it should have troubleshooting procedures so you can figure out your VTEC code problem.
Also i forgot i had someone tell me my car was in "LIMP MODE" do you no anything about that? Ever heard of it?
That's the rev limiter after it sets the code for VTEC not working right.

My oil pressure switch wire goes up to the left tho not to the right like in the picture, someone must have just put it on the wrong bracket at some point. Idk
So what's it connected to?
Old 05-26-2014
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

OP, take your oil cap off and shine a light inside your valve cover. Do you see any sludge build up? Any chunks of oil covering stuff inside the valve cover?
Old 05-26-2014
Registered!!

Ha no i didnt pay them to not say anything they just did a half *** job prolly cause they didnt think id be able to pay them right when really i would have paid just as easy as anyone else... But that just may have been a dumb tech like you said.

If allowed the wire (and i lied i thought it went left it does go right) and i didnt have time to get into the cluster but i didnt find any shorts or grounded spots so idk i am going to get the volt tester thing and oil pressure tester and go from there i guess
Old 05-30-2014
Registered!!

That last post was supposed to say i followed the wire, not "if allowed" ha sorry. And i will be working on it all tomorrow sorry i havent updated in a while. Ill post everything when i get into it asap