Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

airbag light/code

Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luissolis1 is an unknown quantity at this point
airbag light/code

Hey everyone i have a 2001 honda civic lx that has the air bag light on i checked to see the code i think its a 10-1 (need to double check), if anyone can help me out explaining what the code is and how to fix it it would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: airbag light/code

Originally Posted by luissolis1
i think its a 10-1 (need to double check),
You need to double check that before anything else happens.

10-1 is a deployment code.
Why don't you tell us the rest of this story....?
Old 02-20-2014
Pusher Jets Rule!

crxmanpat has a spectacular aura aboutcrxmanpat has a spectacular aura about

SRS codes can deal with the airbags or the seatbelts. Mine keeps coming on in my 2003 Civic and I keep taking it to Honda to have them replace seatbelt parts under the lifetime safety equipment warranty.

This thread on ClubRSX has good info on how to read the code yourself, and what each code means.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707
Old 02-20-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You need to double check that before anything else happens.

10-1 is a deployment code.
Why don't you tell us the rest of this story....?
I dont know the full history or story behind the car so far that i know/ found out is this... 1. Car is my aunts im using to get me around while she's out of town 2. Me and my dad know that its a salvage and it was wrecked both air bags were deployed and we replaced both of them but when we did there was NO airbag in the passenger side at all, all the people did was get the cover and line the bottom with fiber glass, so thats about it we replaced the airbags and tried to reset the codes but still nothing im going to double check the codes this weekend, and thanks
Old 02-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luissolis1
I dont know the full history or story behind the car so far that i know/ found out is this..
Cool, this is enough to know what happened to it as far as the deployment:
its a salvage and it was wrecked both air bags were deployed and we replaced both of them
Ok....Salvage title cars can be cheap for a reason. Airbag stuff can be really expensive.
but when we did there was NO airbag in the passenger side at all, all the people did was get the cover and line the bottom with fiber glass,
'Round here, people tend to get lawsuit happy when they discover there are improper repairs to a critical safety system.

so thats about it we replaced the airbags and tried to reset the codes but still nothing im going to double check the codes this weekend, and thanks
Ok, the car needs the SRS control unit replaced. Period.
The deployment code cannot be erased, it is a 'latched code'.

Here is a copy of Hondas list of stuff to inspect or replace after any deployment event:

2001 CIVIC - Component Replacement/Inspection After SRS Deployment

Before doing any SRS repairs, use the HDS SRS menu method to check for DTCs; refer to the DTC Troubleshooting Index for the less obvious deployed parts (seat belt tensioners, front sensor, side airbag sensors, etc.).

After a collision where the seat belt tensioners deployed, replace these items:
  • Seat belt tensioners
  • Seat belt buckle tensioners
  • SRS unit
  • Front impact sensors
After a collision where the front airbag(s) deployed, replace these items:
  • SRS unit
  • Deployed airbag(s)
  • Seat belt tensioners
  • Seat belt buckle tensioners
  • Front impact sensors
After a collision where the side airbag(s) deployed, replace these items:
  • SRS unit
  • Deployed side airbag(s)
  • Side impact sensor(s) for side(s) deployed
During the repair process, inspect these areas:
  • Inspect all the SRS wire harnesses. Replace, don't repair, any damaged harnesses.
  • Inspect the cable reel for heat damage. If there is any damage, replace the cable reel.
After the vehicle is completely repaired, turn the ignition switch ON (II). If the SRS indicator comes on for about 6 seconds and then goes off, the SRS airbag system is OK. If the indicator does not function properly, use the HDS SRS Menu Method to read the DTC. If this doesn't retrieve any codes, use the HDS SCS menu method. If you still cannot retrieve a code, go to SRS Indicator Circuit Troubleshooting.

(HDS is the computer scantool the dealers use)

You went to the trouble of replacing the airbags properly, right? Don't stop there, do this properly too.

There are places on the web that claim they can 'reset' the deployment code(s), but this is absolutely not approved by the manufacturer. Do you want to put your life in Joe Blows hands, or do you want to put your life in the hands of the company that designed the system?

---

So after the SRS control unit is replaced, (and programmed or initialized for the OPDS if equipped with side airbags in the seats) you need to recheck for new codes.
My experience has been that a unit with deployment codes cannot be trusted to display other faults, it is unreliable.
New fault codes may be found once a working control unit is connected. Diagnose and repair those as necessary if you find any.

---
Also, there have been a few recalls on the airbags on that year Civic. I'm not sure how that plays out since yours has a salvage title, but it's certainly worth asking about it at your dealer.
==

HTH
Old 02-23-2014
Registered!!

Awsome thanks its been driving me insane and my inspection sticker is almost up and cant pass with it on thank you so much