Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Door Lock Cylinder Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keystroke13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Door Lock Cylinder Replacement Problem

I purchased two door lock cylinder kits P/N 06721-S73-A01 and 06725-S73-A01. One for the driver and passenger side front doors. After my purchase I found service bulletin 03-068 and had no issues removing the old cylinders from the doors. However, this same bulletin list a Door Inner Cylinder P/N 74844-S5A-305.

As I started to reassemble I noticed the new parts don't look the same. The cylinder is keyed differently and the outer housing has a slightly different mold. I tried re-installing the sublock into cavity "A" and it was nearly impossible. I also triple checked to make sure I was using the top side which is solid. I used Honda Parts Now and I'm thinking these are the incorrect P/N's. My key is also thicker than the hinged opening and cannot insert it.

Is P/N 74844-S5A-305 the part I needed? I cannot find any pictures online and don't know what this part even looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2246.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	82907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2247.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	82908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2248.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	82909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2249.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	82910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2250.jpg
Views:	13114
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	82911  

Last edited by keystroke13; 03-25-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-03-2012
Registered!!

Re: Door Lock Cylinder Replacement Problem

If anyone comes across this post save yourself some time and purchase the Honda Genuine Parts from the dealer. The original part numbers listed are incorrect.

The correct door lock cylinder kit part numbers are:
Left Door - 72146-S0X-A51
Right Door - 72145-S0X-A51

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

nexy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the updated part numbers. i have a 2003 civic lx and have "rebuilt" the driver's side door lock twice now. and when i say "rebuilt", i mean i removed the lock cylinder, disassembled it, cleaned it, and put it back together without the most worn tumblers reinstalled. each rebuild lasted a couple of years.

since the last time i only had 2 working tumblers left, i bought a new door lock from tna auto parts:

https://www.tnaautoparts.com/2003-ho...r-p-54080.html

while the lock fits, and works, it is different from the factory unit. they supply keys, which are different than the factory, so it can't be re-keyed to fit my existing ignition key. that was disappointing.

i'll see how long it lasts, but i may just buy the factory replacement kit and re-key it now, so it will be ready - assuming the tna kit fails in a couple of years, which i fully expect. the metal from which it is made seems lower quality than the factory as well, which is somewhat concerning.

Last edited by nexy; 05-19-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling error correction
Old 05-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nexy
so it can't be re-keyed to fit my existing ignition key.
Wrong. A good dealer will have the tumbler kit to re-key the sidewinder locks.
Even the dealer I work at has the kit, and it seems like all I do are the ignition cylinders for worn out tumbler wafers.

HTH
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

ezone is correct. The Honda dealership that I bought the kit from offered to rekey my kit for $180.00 ($90/hr for 2 hours). After I declined we negotiated a price for new tumblers and springs and I rebuilt it myself. If you know your key code and sequence the dealer should sell you new tumblers so you can use your existing keys.
Old 02-23-2014
Registered!!

edgenet should not be trustededgenet should not be trusted

Originally Posted by keystroke13
ezone is correct. The Honda dealership that I bought the kit from offered to rekey my kit for $180.00 ($90/hr for 2 hours). After I declined we negotiated a price for new tumblers and springs and I rebuilt it myself. If you know your key code and sequence the dealer should sell you new tumblers so you can use your existing keys.
Question Can I just remove the tumblers and reinstall as is that way I do not have to worry a bought messing with the door lock again. I am aware that any key will open it. What are the odds that a crook would know this.
Old 02-23-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edgenet
Question Can I just remove the tumblers and reinstall as is that way I do not have to worry a bought messing with the door lock again.
Yes, you can do that if you wish. (make sure the tiny spring under each tumbler comes out too.)

That's how our local lock shop was "fixing" these, remove the offending tumbler(s) until it works again. They can only remove so many tumblers LOL....

I finally paid them a visit to let them know we do have the correct tumblers for Hondas sidewinder locks, and I do fix these problems, even though our price is higher than theirs. They have sent me work.

I am aware that any key will open it. What are the odds that a crook would know this.
You know the risks, you assume the responsibility for this.

HTH
Old 02-23-2014
Pusher Jets Rule!

crxmanpat has a spectacular aura aboutcrxmanpat has a spectacular aura about

Instead of removing all the tumbler pins, just remove the worn ones that are causing the problem. Nine times out of ten it's only one or two of the 8 pins causing the issue. You can determine which ones they are by disassembling the lock core up to the point of removing the cylinder from the housing (with the key still in the lock).

When you pull the cylinder out of the housing, see which pins are not seating properly and just remove those. That way you won't have a lock that any key will open.
Old 02-23-2014
Registered!!

Great when it gets warmer I will give it a try.
Old 02-23-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the info, seems like a great Idea. If I were to do this will I have problems down the road with the old ones that are left in. I do not want to repeat the proses in the near future my knees are not as good as they used to be. Later
Old 02-23-2014
Registered!!

Ezone looking at your avatar always a big argument with the wife in the house. I do not like the way the roll is positioned I like it opposite to yours I like the paper on top of the roll the wife seems to get wrong all the time she now leaves roll on the floor so I can install it. Little things in life do make a big difference.

Last edited by edgenet; 02-24-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2014

Originally Posted by edgenet
Ezone looking at your avatar always a big argument with the wife in the house. I do not like the way the roll is positioned I like it opposite to yours I like the paper on top of the roll the wife seems to get wrong all the time
AAAHAHAROFLOLMAO
I actually have to leave my TP that direction, I have a cat that loves to unroll it and run full speed throughout the house with it if it is installed the other way.

So know she leaves roll on the floor so I can install it. Little things in life do make a big difference.
Get a vertical mount..Problem solved?

That might still be a source of argument though.

Ever have days like this?