Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

heating/antifreeze problem - confused

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ccarbo is an unknown quantity at this point
heating/antifreeze problem - confused

Hello, I have a 2002 Civic EX with 195,000 miles on it. I take good care of it but now for the last year when it is when the heater is on and I am driving with RPMs it is blow nice heat, then when I come to idle it blow cold air. I had my mechanic clean/blow out heater core and that is good. Well my alternator went out and got that fixed, I also had the O2 sensor go out so I replaced both and that helped alot.... then the catalatic convertor burned out, it had a hole clean through it. SO, tried a leak test and did not show anything, my mechanic put a T in the line just past the heater core and did find air and after revving it up then it pushed out and heated well, for about 2 weeks and is now acting up. The expansion tank is full of anti freeze so I sucked some out to the MAX line and put that back into the radiator because I could not see any fluid. Now after driving it another week the expansion tank is full to the cap again! Heat issue is not as bad as it was but something is definitely wrong. I done some reading on the site and sounds like head gasket but not sure. It has NEVER overheated either, always heats up to the same level every time. To all the Gurus - help a brother out...... I don't want to put a pile of money into tests and still have to change the Head gasket. Please help. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: heating/antifreeze problem - confused

Originally Posted by ezone
Good numbers. Well under 10% variation too.

Stick the reservoir hose in a container of water set up where you can see it, watch for bubbles coming up while you let it run?
All you need is a way to see the coolant level change or air bubbles coming up through it. I mentioned the funnel because that is what I use, most convenient for me.

Some of them don't want to leak much until the engine has a load on it, and pressure in the radiator reduces how much gets past the head gasket.
It's like $32, and damn handy if you do any regular work on cars. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Sp.../dp/B001A4EAV0
Too many will pass this test, yet still have a head gasket problem. Not reliable enough for me.
Correct.
Originally Posted by scooty
So blown head gasket it is then

I attached some rubber tubing to where the overflow reservoir hose attaches to the radiator filler neck and immersed the other end in an open container full of coolant. Please see attached video to the see the bubbles:

http://youtu.be/QQQ9NjCgGm0

There are no bubbles at idle but you can clearly see a stream of bubbles when I rev it up.

Is this enough confirmation of a blown HG to warrant removing the head and replacing the gasket?
Old 12-12-2013
Registered!!

Hey thanks for the info.... I will try that. Can I use the hose that goes into the expansion tank or another piece? What size is it? Thanks much! I will report back. Any other suggestions or what you think it is please post. thanks! I can't do the job but a few buddies of mine can, what is cost usually of this?

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Old 12-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded.

Originally Posted by ccarbo
Hey thanks for the info.... I will try that. Can I use the hose that goes into the expansion tank or another piece?
Sure, whatever you need to make it work.

What size is it?
IDK. Take a look at the one on your car and.....

I can't do the job but a few buddies of mine can,
Maybe they can do that check in the video.
what is cost usually of this?
Depends.™
Old 12-13-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what is cost usually of this?
?

depend, how fancy a bucket do you plan on using to check for the air bubbling out?
or the hoses?
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

HI guys, well I did the test in the bucket...... I sure thought it was going to bubble but NO dice..... I revved it up many times, for like 20 minutes and could not get one bubble out of it. I had to ciphon that expansion tank and it was full of anti-freeze so I have it right in the middle of max and min levels. Any other suggestions? I am stumped..... thanks!
Old 12-14-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was the radiator completely full when you tried it?

Sometimes it takes a long time to prove using that method, because of the pressure cap and the volume of leakage needed to make the test effective.
Also, free revving the engine isn't really placing any significant load on it.
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

yes it was full, what I did was take the extra that was in the expansion tank and topped off the radiator, once filled I put the cap back on and put some clear plastic tubing on it and set that in the water bucket. i thought it may leak more when cold then when the motor got hot.... I turned on the heat and also the A/C to try to put some load on the motor..... what else can do to figure this out?? I really thought this would have given me the proof..... crazy thing is too is this coolant issue has been going on for a year or a bit more. I would think if it is leaking it would just get worse and worse..... the temp gauge has never went hotter then where it always goes to (like half way). I do have 196,000 miles so from everything I've read it seems like it could be the HG. Just want to make sure before I take it in to someone? Is there any testing I can do of the antifreeze to see if it has contaminants from the cylinder in it or is that a test only a dealer can do? I sure appreciate all the help, this site has saved my alot of money in my day. thanks!

Was the radiator completely full when you tried it?

Sometimes it takes a long time to prove using that method, because of the pressure cap and the volume of leakage needed to make the test effective.
Also, free revving the engine isn't really placing any significant load on it.
Old 12-14-2013

Got an air compressor?

Search here for my method of proving a head gasket is bad.
Wait a sec...here's a good part of it: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4649516

Then check out this thread https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

Yes I do have an air compressor..... I will read these.

Got an air compressor? I will also read the 2nd one but it has never overheated ever since I have had since 2005. I love the car and is still in great shape even for being in northern WIS were salt gets at it.... not ready to retire the girl yet.

Wait a sec...here's a good part of it: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4649516

Then check out this thread https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 12-15-2013
Registered!!

ezone, what else besides my air compressor do I need to pressurize a cylinder? I took out the excess anti freeze out of the resivor and put it in the middle of max and min, I drove it about 20 miles nice and easy and came back and checked the tank and it was right at the middle of min/max like before, I let it idle for 20 minutes and same thing, so I think it is only leaking under load of the engine. Easy driving didn't do anything.
Either way it has to be a HG leak and will probably get it done.

Got an air compressor?

Old 12-15-2013

what else besides my air compressor do I need to pressurize a cylinder?

I use the short hose for my compression tester (my kit has a few different styles in it).

I remove the Schrader valve core (important!) and set it in the tester box. Then screw the hose in to the first cylinder.

The other end of the hose, the quick coupler fitting just happens to be compatible with all the air hoses in the shop so I simply couple the air line to the compression tester hose, thereby applying air to the cylinder with whatever is in the shop air system (170 PSI here).
As long as the valves are closed, and the piston (stays) at TDC, the air will pressurize that cylinder.

HTH
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

HI, hey I had a good friend that is a 20+ year mechanic. He did a leak down on the motor for couple hours and it held perfect. he also tested the cooling system and no leaks. He did test the radiator cap and that just "barely" passed. NOW it is not a OE radiator cap, another mechanic I had changed it because I was having these issues. After these tests he puts the blame on my radiator cap and not working like it should and it sucking coolant back into the system, so every time it heats up it keeps putting coolant into the tank and never taking it back in. SO I am going to replace the cap..... WHERE and what should I get? I seen on honddiscountparts.com a STANT OE radiator cap, is that original equipment? I just want to get the correct cap for it and hopes that fixes this issue. thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2014

Original factory cap was probably made by DENSO.
What did your mechanic suggest?

If you have the original radiator, get a cap listed for your car.

Replacement radiator might not be the same as original, so if you don't have the original radiator, get a cap that fits your current radiator. Some aftermarket radiators really suck, nothing fits quite like it should.

There's only 2 major types of small radiator caps, and they are somewhat similar but very different and not interchangeable. Regardless of brand. You can probably find pressure ranges from 13-16 PSI too.

Old 04-04-2014
Registered!!

Interesting, I have the original radiator. I did find a Denso OE replacement cap and ordered it. when I get it my plan is to remove the excess coolant from the expansion tank and get that to the full mark. Then top off my radiator to make sure it is full. Should I run it while I am topping to off to make sure of no air and it gets completely full? I sure hope this is the issue.... from my buddy he is 99.9% there is no head gasket issues. Like I said, he does know his stuff too so I trust his word. Thanks for the help too!

Original factory cap was probably made by DENSO.
What did your mechanic suggest?

If you have the original radiator, get a cap listed for your car.

Replacement radiator might not be the same as original, so if you don't have the original radiator, get a cap that fits your current radiator. Some aftermarket radiators really suck, nothing fits quite like it should.

There's only 2 major types of small radiator caps, and they are somewhat similar but very different and not interchangeable. Regardless of brand. You can probably find pressure ranges from 13-16 PSI too.

Old 04-22-2014
Registered!!

Exclamation Re: heating/antifreeze problem - confused

Ezone and all, well I got my replacement cap (which looks like type B below) I got it from Hondapartsunlimited.com - Denso 19045-PAA-A01, well I took the excess AF from tank and filled the radiator, I had a 250 mile appt for work so it was a good test on a new radiator cap. Well after that run I let it cool down and checked the reservoir and it is plum full of coolant, so it did not suck any back into the radiator? What the hell is wrong? I had to mechanics check my motor and they say it is tight, the last one did a test of the coolant for carbons and tested clean. what can I check next? Replace Lines on the expansion tank? PLEASE, I am at a loss as to what the hell is going on. It is running great, I pushed over 250 miles on half tank of gas...... anyone have a clue.?? Thanks !

Interesting, I have the original radiator. I did find a Denso OE replacement cap and ordered it. when I get it my plan is to remove the excess coolant from the expansion tank and get that to the full mark. Then top off my radiator to make sure it is full. Should I run it while I am topping to off to make sure of no air and it gets completely full? I sure hope this is the issue.... from my buddy he is 99.9% there is no head gasket issues. Like I said, he does know his stuff too so I trust his word. Thanks for the help too!
Old 04-22-2014

Head gasket.

I'd do my standard test for a blown head gasket.
Old 04-22-2014
Registered!!

What /Where can I find on that on here? I tried the resivoir tube in pail of water and rev the motor, no bubbles..... the last mechanic did not find any carbons in the coolant so wouldn't that be a tell tale sign? This is nuts...
Old 04-22-2014

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4649516

Let it open up before you scroll, the info is in post #15
Old 04-22-2014

Actually, read the entire thread, there's a lot of info.
Old 04-22-2014
Registered!!

Well Ezone, I am not doubting you by any means..... I will have my buddy do your specific test and see if we can get a head to leak. It is so damn frustrating!!! Thanks for the help so far!