Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic Si AC Compressor

Old 12-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pukas808 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic Si AC Compressor

So I have a 2002 Civic Si. AC was only blowing warm air, and couple weeks ago the serpentine belt broke. Replaced the belt today started engine but heard some knocking noise and sparks coming from the AC Compressor Clutch. I figured the AC Comprssor froze and broke the belt. How hard is it to replace the compressor and is there anything else that needs to be replaced with the compressor? Or do you think just the clutch needs to be rebuilt? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-08-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2002 Civic Si AC Compressor

Bam. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...essor-diy.html
It looks like it takes some doing, like removing the power steering pump and bumper but not THAT bad. You should try out the search button :-)
Old 12-08-2013
Registered!!

kdliberty is an unknown quantity at this point

water pump. It run off that belt. always replace together..
Old 12-08-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Bam. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...essor-diy.html
It looks like it takes some doing, like removing the power steering pump and bumper but not THAT bad. You should try out the search button :-)
I saw that thread but my compressor is on the passenger side not the driver's side. It looks like it has two belts not a serpentine belt like my Si.
Old 12-08-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by ezone; 12-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Honda sells the clutch set (plate and pulley) and field coil separately from the compressor, if that's what you need.
Old 12-08-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Honda sells the clutch set (plate and pulley) and field coil separately from the compressor, if that's what you need.
The clutch set I found on ebay for about $90.00. Remanufactured compressor from O'reilly about $200.00. Do you think my clutch is messed up or compressor? There were some sparks coming out from the clutch side of the compressor. I would hate to change out the clutch and thats not the problem and spend another $200.00 to buy compressor.

Has anyone got a shorter belt and bypassed the compressor. Someone mentioned the shorted belt size in an earlier thread but there was no reply if it worked or not.
Old 12-08-2013

Typical problem is the bearing for the pulley fails, that lets the pulley wobble and contact the body of the compressor.
Remove the belt, grab the compressor pulley and wiggle it. Then spin it. It should be obvious if that's the problem, play and bearing noise.

Then try to spin the clutch hub: it should turn, but with some resistance.

If I see these, and there is refrigerant in the system, I'd just put a pulley and clutch (and coil if necessary) on it.

I'd rather not toss any aftermarket reman compressor at anything if I can avoid it. Super high failure rate, you may be replacing it every year from here on out. Or replacing the entire AC system if a compressor blows up internally.

Without being able to see the engine in question, I'll guess that it is not possible to bypass the compressor due to the locations and layout of the other drive pulleys. And I really doubt the aftermarket has a bypass dummy pulley available for this.

HTH
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

So if I can spin the pulley can I assume the compressor is still good? If the clutch is bad can I take it off, and still drive the car while I wait for the new one to come in? Would a bad clutch cause the serpentine belt to break? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for all your help.
Old 12-14-2013

Originally Posted by pukas808
So if I can spin the pulley can I assume the compressor is still good?
No.

The pulley spins independently of the compressor shaft, you can't tell if the compressor is any good only by spinning the pulley.

The pulley is the wheel that the belt rides on. It has its own bearing and it is supposed to spin freely.

This is the setup on any typical AC compressor:

The pulley is free to spin with the belt driving it, the clutch plate is bolted directly to the shaft of the compressor.

When the compressor is needed, the electromagnet is powered on to pull the clutch plate against the pulley and 'lock' them together.

If the clutch is bad can I take it off, and still drive the car while I wait for the new one to come in? Would a bad clutch cause the serpentine belt to break? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for all your help.
I can't really answer that, because I can't see what part failed on your car.
I can only guess that the pulley bearing is bad, and removing the clutch plate cannot help your situation.

HTH
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

Thank you "Ezone" so if I spin the pulley and it doesn't spin freely its probably the bearing right, or I am hoping that's the problem.
Old 12-14-2013

Well, if the clutch hub is dragging against the pulley it won't be free to spin, right? So make sure that isn't an issue first.

Remove the serpentine belt.
Grab the pulley and wiggle it. If the pulley is free to wobble side to side (axial play, radial play, lateral play, etc.) it's a problem.
Spin the pulley, if the bearing is bad it will be noisy. A good bearing is tight and quiet.

Noisy bearing, and the guy seems to like playing with it LOL

The pulley in this one spins super free (and makes dry clicking noises), BUT the pulley can wobble side to side

Then spin the clutch hub part of the compressor..... see if it is locked up, spins freely, or turns with a little resistance. Then decide if the compressor is likely to be good.

See, most people would just chuck an entire compressor at the problem.
I personally feel much better finding and fixing the source of the problem, without resorting to a cheapo complete unit that is usually of low quality and a potential (definite) comeback job. Nobody is happy when that happens. I can usually replace the pulley and clutch without having to discharge and recharge the freon. (Not always, but usually. Depends on the amount of room I can make near it.)

Hondas compressors (all except for some CRVs IMO) have been reliable enough that I feel quite comfortable putting a pulley or clutch set on one, keeping the original compressor going for as long as possible.
Old 12-15-2013

Hey, this dude found an AC elimination kit (basically a pulley mounted to a bracket) for his K24 engine swap. I have no idea if it would fit a K20 or if it is available for the K20.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...er-k-swap.html

Name:  IMAG0674_zps942dc4ba.jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  83.1 KB

Ya know what.....Looking at that setup there makes me think it might be possible to simply use a shorter belt to bypass the compressor.....but this pic is missing the PS and alternator.

Experiment?
Old 12-22-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Hey, this dude found an AC elimination kit (basically a pulley mounted to a bracket) for his K24 engine swap. I have no idea if it would fit a K20 or if it is available for the K20.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...er-k-swap.html

Ya know what.....Looking at that setup there makes me think it might be possible to simply use a shorter belt to bypass the compressor.....but this pic is missing the PS and alternator.

Experiment?
I was thinking a shorter belt would work but I was reading one thread, I am not sure where, but it said they were experimenting with different belt sizes and couldn't find one that fit.

Anyways I had time to check the pulley and I couldn't turn it by hand. I am not familiar with A/C compressors, could the pulley bearing be frozen not allowing the pulley to turn, but the clutch be able to turn? I was not able to turn the clutch either by hand. Once again thank you for all your folks help.
Old 12-22-2013

I had time to check the pulley and I couldn't turn it by hand.
Not good
could the pulley bearing be frozen not allowing the pulley to turn, but the clutch be able to turn?
Yes

I was not able to turn the clutch either by hand.
Not good....I'd probably remove the clutch plate to see if the compressor shaft itself will turn, because if the pulley is stuck in a position that has it crooked and wedged against the clutch plate, that would give the appearance of both being stuck.

I am not familiar with A/C compressors,
You checked out the videos I posted?
Old 01-21-2014
Registered!!

Ezone, just wondering can you take off the clutch with out the special tool, like wedging a screw driver or something? I think I read somewhere where someone did that.
Old 01-21-2014

Air impact gun! Just pull the trigger and ZIP it's apart.

You could probably hold the clutch plate from spinning with a large pair of channel locks? I can't see what you have to work with.