Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacement trunk lid not sitting right

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fusion158 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement trunk lid not sitting right

A few years ago, before I moved over to US, my wife managed to reverse into a metal bollard in a car park and it dented the trunk lid as you can see here.

I finally got sick of looking at it so I managed to get a replacement from an auto dismantlers that was in great condition and matching color. The problem I have is it doesn't sit exactly the way it should. These pictures should explain it all.

Left Side View:

Right Side View:

The gap between the lid and just above the top of the lights is smaller on the left than on the right.

Overall rear view:

I am guessing that the hinge mechanism also got bent and deformed a little but wanted to get some opinions before I spend cash on a new hinges. Would you guys agree with me or could it be something else?
Old 10-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacement trunk lid not sitting right

Your trunk lid needs an alignment. I'm not totally sure how to do this on the civics but there is definitely a way.
Old 10-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this in my travels:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hood...oo-212388.html
Old 10-21-2013
Registered!!

I was thinking of something like that so I will keep that as an option now that I know it's been done before
Old 10-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

It's worth a shot... I don't know if there is another way to align the trunk lid (I'm not a body guy by any means). If the front/back alignment is correct this might be the way to go.
Old 10-21-2013
Registered!!

The front back seems to be fine, its the way its sits as seen in the pics and the left right is slightly out. If they little piece of metal doesn't solve it fully do you think new hinges would be a good option?
Old 10-22-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I don't know. Maybe go grab the hinges from the same car that you got the trunk lid from.
Old 10-22-2013
Registered!!

Unfortunately, they don't have it any more, I bought the trunk lid a few months ago and only got around to trying to get it sitting better now