Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer needle

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough
Speedometer needle

Hi All,

I just bought a 2001 ex two door coupe with the VTEC. Trying to fix a few bugs and appreciate all the help so far. I thought I would start a new thread on this issue. The speedometer does not go to zero when stopped or with the ignition off. It shows about 15 mph when stopped or off. It does work though and seems to be over 15 through out its range. We have a radar sign near work that tells you your speed and around 40mph it was reading 55mph. Is there a way to pull the needle off and move it a little to make it closer to actual speed? Thanks for the help.

Ed
Old 09-17-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Speedometer needle

Not sure if it can fixed, but you can do the below instrument panel test to see if it tries to sweep to zero.

Press and hold odometer button, turn parking lights on, turn ignition to ON, turn parking lights OFF, ON, OFF, then press odometer button 3 times. You can start the engine in the mode but gauges will not work. Shut off ignition to cancel this mode.

Old 09-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone put a gauge face kit in it? Maybe someone took the needles off and just got that one back on in the wrong spot.

It's worth a try, pull the needle off and set it back in the right spot, double check it before you button it back up. The next choice is probably replacing the cluster.
Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did someone put a gauge face kit in it? Maybe someone took the needles off and just got that one back on in the wrong spot.

It's worth a try, pull the needle off and set it back in the right spot, double check it before you button it back up. The next choice is probably replacing the cluster.
I really don't know too much of the history of the car. I will see if I can get more info from the seller. The Tach and the speedometer needles are about an equal distance off of zero with the ignition off. Makes me think someone has been in to it. It has a grey color to the face of the dials. I started getting more concerned about if the temp guage was reading properly. I hooked up my OBD reader and drove around the block after driving home from work. Speedometer reads 15 mph faster than what the cpu reads. tach reads 2200 at idle, OBD reads around 900rpm. Temp guage reads almost in the mid range but OBD reads 204 to 210 in the driveway, which I think is too high. I waited for it to cool down and radiator was a little low but there was still coolant in the overflow bottle. Hope that was the only problem. Both fans work. This car is starting to make me think I got a lemon but I really like it so I will get it right one way or another. If I have to get another cluster will it automatically set the mileage or does that have to be programmed by the dealer? I also have a 2001 Civic lx with 40,000 miles that never gives me any trouble. Thanks again for all the help.

Ed
Old 09-17-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, you might try a gauge reset. Make sure you know your radio code!
Disconnect the battery cables and hold (connect) the ends together for at least one minute. (This supposedly is to dump memory and discharge capacitors.) Reconnect the cables (positive first, negative last) see if anything changed.
If no joy, well, you didn't lose any money. Carry on.

I found this info, but this says for DX and VP. You have an EX so it shouldn't apply, but worth a look anyway. (C&P from the Honda site)
Got a 01-05 Civic DX or VP in your shop with a
speedometer needle that sticks or won't go back
to zero? A warped plastic facing on the gauge
assembly could be the culprit. When the
headlights and instrument panel lights are turned
on, heat from the gauge bulbs can soften the
plastic facing, causing it to warp and block the
needles path. To fix this problem, replace the
gauge assembly.

It has a grey color to the face of the dials.
Gray like in that video above?
I was thinking it should be black, but I suffer from CRS. See if anyone else chimes in.

Temp guage reads almost in the mid range but OBD reads 204 to 210 in the driveway, which I think is too high.
Those temps are fine.

Temp ga reading is buffered. Center of the gauge can be anywhere from (SWAG)170-220 real temp, with almost no needle movement. It's like a glorified idiot light ---- until the temp goes screaming high.

Running down the highway steady 65 MPH or so, with your scanner, operating temp should stay near 180f (thermostat rating).
Stop and let the radiator fan come on, temp on the scanner will probably be around 212-218. (Fan switch is 203F, but it is on the lower rad hose. ECT and temps in the head can be quite a bit higher than 203 before the fan comes on.)

If I have to get another cluster will it automatically set the mileage or does that have to be programmed by the dealer?
If you swap a cluster, you will lose your correct mileage.
Odometer mileage is retained within the gauge cluster, not the other control units on the car.
A dealer cannot change the mileage on these, we have to send the cluster to a speedo shop. (We use Palo Alto Speedometer http://www.paspeedo.com/)

This car is starting to make me think I got a lemon
It's just a used car, not a lemon. You don't know anything about its history, and it doesn't take long for some people to completely ruin a car.

I also have a 2001 Civic lx with 40,000 miles that never gives me any trouble.
Wow, low mileage, no wonder it hasn't given you trouble. Hasn't blown the head gasket yet I bet.
You could probably swap this cluster in as a test if you wanted to.

Last edited by ezone; 09-17-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2013
Registered!!

Ok, you might try a gauge reset. Make sure you know your radio code!
Disconnect the battery cables and hold (connect) the ends together for at least one minute. (This supposedly is to dump memory and discharge capacitors.) Reconnect the cables (positive first, negative last) see if anything changed.
If no joy, well, you didn't lose any money. Carry on.

I found this info, but this says for DX and VP. You have an EX so it shouldn't apply, but worth a look anyway. (C&P from the Honda site)
Got a 01-05 Civic DX or VP in your shop with a
speedometer needle that sticks or won't go back
to zero? A warped plastic facing on the gauge
assembly could be the culprit. When the
headlights and instrument panel lights are turned
on, heat from the gauge bulbs can soften the
plastic facing, causing it to warp and block the
needles path. To fix this problem, replace the
gauge assembly.

Gray like in that video above?
I was thinking it should be black, but I suffer from CRS. See if anyone else chimes in.

Those temps are fine.

Temp ga reading is buffered. Center of the gauge can be anywhere from (SWAG)170-220 real temp, with almost no needle movement. It's like a glorified idiot light ---- until the temp goes screaming high.

Running down the highway steady 65 MPH or so, with your scanner, operating temp should stay near 180f (thermostat rating).
Stop and let the radiator fan come on, temp on the scanner will probably be around 212-218. (Fan switch is 203F, but it is on the lower rad hose. ECT and temps in the head can be quite a bit higher than 203 before the fan comes on.)

If you swap a cluster, you will lose your correct mileage.
Odometer mileage is retained within the gauge cluster, not the other control units on the car.
A dealer cannot change the mileage on these, we have to send the cluster to a speedo shop. (We use Palo Alto Speedometer http://www.paspeedo.com/)

It's just a used car, not a lemon. You don't know anything about its history, and it doesn't take long for some people to completely ruin a car.

Wow, low mileage, no wonder it hasn't given you trouble. Hasn't blown the head gasket yet I bet.
You could probably swap this cluster in as a test if you wanted to.
Ezone,

I appreciate all the help and I am overall happy with the car. You put my mind at ease on the temp gauge issue. Those values are spot on with what I am getting on my scanner. One thing though, I checked both my cars this morning after sitting all night. My wife's car read 81 on the scanner and my new used car read 101. It is like every guage is reading high. 81 seemed about right this morning. I think I will change the sensor that feeds the CPU and see if it changes. My number one thing to fix is the drivers power window. I will take care of the others as I can. I like to tinker so it gives me some projects but I like things to work like they are supposed to. That part about the bezel touching the needles doesnt apply in my case. The needle move but read too high.

About my wifes car, it is the true little old lady car. I bought it two years ago with 14000 miles on it. Garage kept, every service record, absolutely like brand new. Elder lady just drove it to doctor and grocery store. Great find.

Have a good one and thanks again.

Ed
Old 09-18-2013

wife's car read 81 on the scanner and my new used car read 101. It is like every guage is reading high.
After sitting overnight (and before the sun can warm anything up),
the ECT (engine coolant temp) and IAT (intake air temp) temps should read within just a couple degrees of each other. That's just a quick check to see if one or the other is screwy.

Info for the temp gauge and the tach come directly from the PCM through data communication line. So yeah, if the PCM is seeing incorrect info, the gauge can display the same incorrect info. (GIGO)
Old 09-18-2013
Registered!!

the ECT (engine coolant temp) and IAT (intake air temp) temps should read within just a couple degrees of each other. That's just a quick check to see if one or the other is screwy.

Info for the temp gauge and the tach come directly from the PCM through data communication line. So yeah, if the PCM is seeing incorrect info, the gauge can display the same incorrect info. (GIGO)
When it rains it pours, Son's alternator went out on his explorer. $139.00 later all is good.

My EX has gray faceplates on the guages. My wifes stock LX has black faceplate, If that tells anything. Tomorrow is another day.

Ed
Old 09-19-2013
Registered!!

First thing this morning, before starting the car IAT and ETC read 80/81 on my scanner, so it looks like all data going the the PCM is correct. It is just my TACH and Speedometer on the dash that are way off. I am stating to think someone replaced the faceplate and didn't put the needles on right. I will try the mentioned guage reset procedures before doing anything else. I have eased my mind about critical items like engine temp are working so my priority right now is getting the drivers window working. I picked up a set of trim tools last night so I can get the door panel off without damaging it.

Ed