Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
codyhazzard is an unknown quantity at this point
Catalytic Converter

Does anyone know of somewhere I can get the manifold catalytic converter for my 2001 civic lx for cheap? I dont have 200-300 to blow on one but the dude I got the car from broke off one of the bolts and it sounds like *** so i really need to get another one any help would be great
Old 05-01-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Catalytic Converter

200-300 is cheap! Try a local junkyard.
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

well i dont have that lol and yea thats what i was gonna do i just wasnt sure if there was a website where i could get them cheaper, im new to the import car game
Old 05-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

broke off one of the bolts
So fix just that.
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

he also hollowed out the cat and i bought the car for mileage and i dont want my mileage going to ****
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

you get what you pay for,

if you do not have 200-300 saved up for car repairs, then you should not have a car at all, when you buy a car that is 12 years old you should be expecting to spend quite a bit of money on maintanance and repairs
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

chill out there hoss, i got other stuff to fix first it was just a question, sorry if i dont find it sensible to pay that much for a cat, i realize they are expensive im just trying to find a less expensive one if you dont have constructive or helpful things to say get a life and dont reply to my thread
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by codyhazzard
chii realize they are expensive im just trying to find a less expensive one if you dont have constructive or helpful things to say get a life and dont reply to my thread
if you dont want other peoples opinions, then dont ask for other peoples opinions on a public webforum, you asked the question and i answered, dont get mad because you dont like the answer that was given, if you realize they are expensive then why are you asking this question?
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

you didnt give me an answer, you criticized me for not wanting to blow 300 on a cat, i asked the question on this forum because i figured someone on here would know where i could get a cheaper one, im in college and need to save all the money i can, didnt know it was a crime to be broke. so am i just supposed to blow all the money possible and pay full blown retail on everything for the car? no like a smart person i ask around and find one at a good price that i can realistically afford. we cant all be as rich as you apparently. do you always go to peoples threads and tell them to spend all their money? i mean ive seen posts asking about where to get cheap HID's, have you had a chance to go on there and tell them they shouldnt have cars cause they cant afford expensive lights? i would hope not, i asked a simple question, your unnecessary input telling me to blow all my money was not why i posted on said PUBLIC FORUM does that clear things up for you a little?
Old 05-01-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want CHEAP, or do you want a cat that works properly and will work for a long time?

You can't have both.

If you want the absolute cheapest repair, just fix whatever you said the broken bolt is, and ignore the rest.
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

how cheap are we talking?
i just want one that wont mess up my o2 sensors
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

well the hollowed cat will mess up my o2s and mess with my gas mileage thats all i care about otherwise i would just fix the bolt
Old 05-01-2013

i just want one that wont mess up my o2 sensors
What's that got to do with your main complaint?

Your concern again was:
the dude I got the car from broke off one of the bolts and it sounds like ***
So fix the broken bolt, whatever that is. Cheap and easy.
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

you didnt give me an answer, you criticized me for not wanting to blow 300 on a cat, i asked the question on this forum because i figured someone on here would know where i could get a cheaper one, im in college and need to save all the money i can, didnt know it was a crime to be broke. so am i just supposed to blow all the money possible and pay full blown retail on everything for the car? no like a smart person i ask around and find one at a good price that i can realistically afford. we cant all be as rich as you apparently. do you always go to peoples threads and tell them to spend all their money? i mean ive seen posts asking about where to get cheap HID's, have you had a chance to go on there and tell them they shouldnt have cars cause they cant afford expensive lights? i would hope not, i asked a simple question, your unnecessary input telling me to blow all my money was not why i posted on said PUBLIC FORUM does that clear things up for you a little?
anybody who buys a 12 year old car should know it will need work/repairs....if you dont even have 300 bucks saved up you shouldnt be driving,

anybody who buys a honda should know the parts are not cheap, sounds like you didnt educate yourself enough before making this purchase,

you want a cheap cat that will set off your CEL every day then go buy one....you either want the repair done properly, or you want it done cheap, which is it? you cant have both,
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

well the noise is the annoying part but i really dont want my gas mileage to get messed up cause its hollowed out, i drive 260 miles home and back to school often so i really need all the mileage i can get im just trying to see if i can get a cheap cat so my mileage doesnt get messed up
Old 05-01-2013

well the hollowed cat will mess up my o2s
No, but the CEL will stay on for a cat code P0420 and you will not ever know if some new problem comes up unless it causes the car to run bad.
and mess with my gas mileage
Can't tell you for sure. Maybe, maybe not. You can buy an awful lot of gas for the price of a cat.
thats all i care about otherwise i would just fix the bolt
Fix it and see what happpens.
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

okay what college student has 300 saved up to blow on cats? and lol you dont know expensive, my last car was expensive, this car is the cheapest thing ive ever driven by a long shot, i did plenty of research before i got this the cat isnt that big of a deal i just had a question and didnt realize it would be made this big of a deal over a cat
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

well i know eventually it will do in my o2's i plan on fixing the bolt i just wanted to know if anyone knew where i could get a cheap one just as a reference cause i know there are a lot of places to get foreign car parts that i dont know about because I am new to the foreign car game
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

my last car was expensive, this car is the cheapest thing ive ever driven by a long shot, i did plenty of research before i got this the cat isnt that big of a deal
then stop complaining!

go buy a new cat!
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

or i could wait for someone who is actually helpful and may know where i could get a cheap one which is what i wanted, not to waste my time arguing with someone who apparently is rich enough to thow 300 on something you could probably get cheaper
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

or i could wait for someone who is actually helpful and may know where i could get a cheap one which is what i wanted,
go back and read my very first reply,

"you get what you pay for"
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

and i really dont care if its good or not, its a cat, if it doesnt screw up my o2's i dont care as i think ive said multiple times now
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

and i really dont care if its good or not, its a cat, if it doesnt screw up my o2's i dont care as i think ive said multiple times now
go back and read my replies again,

i believe i said a cheap cat will set off your CEL, which will affect your O2's....are you taking english in school? you dont seem to be reading too well
Old 05-01-2013

well i know eventually it will do in my o2's
How so?
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

beaver75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Environment aside, your cat and o2 sensors serve a purpose. Working together, the sensor data is used to trim the air/fuel ratio.

So if you don't care about the cat, then you probably don't need to care about the sensors either, right? Am I missing something?

I suggest you buy a replacement. I looked where I get them, www.ecatalytic.com and they have a Catco unit for just over $300. Catco is pretty good, in my opinion, and worth that money
Old 05-01-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Alright OP, since you decided to report the post, it came to moderator attention, and now I'm gonna step in, after having read this.. exchange.

1) yes, 200-300 is cheap as hell when it comes to catalytic converters. Well, ones that will actually do their job, as opposed to a "test pipe," or, in the case of the dx/lx, a cat-less exhaust manifold/header. Retail on those things is at the very least $500, just to put things in perspective. Also, I did not see mikey's response out of line. Well, maybe the "shouldn't have a car" part, but even then, when buying an "older" car, it's safe to assume that there will be unforseen costs when it comes to repairs and maintenance, so technically, he was not wrong. If you think that was rude criticism, then you're probably gonna be floored when it happens in the real world.

2) The cheapest option for your original issue has been posted. Ezone works at a Honda dealership and knows his **** pretty well. Having worked on my 2002 civic over the course of the last decade, fixing the bolt, be it replacing the bolt itself or helicoling the head so it'll accept a bolt, will be your cheapest option for the ORIGINAL problem at hand. As far as your hollowed out cat goes, you're gonna need to replace that. Regarding your O2 sensor "damage" issues with an aftermarket cat, your hollowed out cat is doing far worse (if anything at all) to your O2 sensors. Fix the problem proper, and you'll avoid any extra work you have to put in.

3) I've seen "you get what you pay for" posted by mikey more than once. He's actually given you some sound advice. So, say you find a "cat" for $100. It works for a while, then it ***** itself. You buy another $100 cat. Works for a while, then it ***** itself, once again. Do that a few times before you realize, "holy crap, I should just shell out the money up front so I don't have to do this again." Shell out the extra dough, problem free. The way I look at it, Mikey's helping you cut out the "guess and check" aspect of being frugal, with regards to engine repair. Sure, you pay more money up front, but it'll be cheaper in the long run. That's the same advice I give any person looking to mod their cars for the first time.

tl;dr
Your best options have already been put out there. It's up to you whether or not you want to look past criticism and listen to what folks have to say.
Old 05-01-2013

Originally Posted by xriceboyx
alright op, since you decided to report the post
Um, P.S.S.?
Old 05-02-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
So, say you find a "cat" for $100. It works for a while, then it ***** itself. You buy another $100 cat. Works for a while, then it ***** itself, once again. Do that a few times before you realize, "holy crap, I should just shell out the money up front so I don't have to do this again."
there is a saying that i always go by.....

the cheapest option is normally the most expensive one to begin with