Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PacosTacos88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel pump?

Ran my civic out of gas the other day.Got some more gas right away but it's been running like crap ever since.

It will start, but if it needs any more gas than idle, it wants to die. It's a 2001 civic ex with 262,000 miles.

when I try to give it a lot of gas, the engine gets really loud and tinny sounding. Not sure if I cracked the exhaust too? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fuel pump?

Got a scanner that will display a data list? See if the front O2 reads super lean when it stumbles.

Will it act up just sitting still and revving the engine?
If so, then I'd grab a spray can of something flammable (carb and throttle cleaner) and shoot some onto the throttle while it is stumbling.
If it revs up better then you know it's starving for fuel for SOME reason, so then continue testing causes related to fuel system.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and do some fuel pressure testing.
I bet DangerZoo can set you up with a gauge and some adapters to test with.

If it does not lose fuel pressure when it acts bad, then the pump is not the problem and would be a waste of valuable money.

Fuel filter clogged? Built in to the top of the pump module in the tank. When watching a pressure gauge, it could act very similar to a weak pump, but can be far cheaper.

Injector screens clogged?
Cat clogged?
Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

running out of fuel = misfiring

misfiring = cat killer

my money is on the cat
Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1

misfiring = cat killer

my money is on the cat
Would this cause the engine running so loud?
Old 03-10-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1

misfiring = cat killer

FYI mikey1, it's not actually the misfires that kill a cat.

It's excess and/or unburned fuel that kills it.

Here's why:
The cats' main purpose is to finish burning leftover fuel that didn't get burned inside the engine.
Ignition misfire equals raw, unburned fuel that the cat now has to burn since it didn't burn in the combustion chamber.
Too much raw fuel and the cat overheats, the substrate (guts) melts or breaks. This is what kills it.

If the engine is starving (LACK of fuel)l, then the resulting misfires from this particular condition are much less likely to damage the cat IMHO. IF it is really lacking fuel. We don't know this for sure yet.

/nit pick
Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Can I remove the 02 sensors ahead of the Cat to see if it's blown?

Or just do a cat delete instead of buying a new one. Here in South Dakota, they're not really too stringent on EPA emissions...
Old 03-10-2013

Originally Posted by PacosTacos88
Can I remove the 02 sensors ahead of the Cat to see if it's blown?
Yes, that opens up an 18mm hole in the pipe so the engine can breathe that much more.
If you gained ANY performance by doing that, then you are probably on the right track. Unbolt the pipe ahead of the cat and see if it will run around the block now.

Or just do a cat delete instead of buying a new one. Here in South Dakota, they're not really too stringent on EPA emissions...
You will set P0420 code.

Any muffler or exhaust shop probably won't touch it without installing a cat in it.

*hugs a tree*
Old 03-11-2013
Registered!!

I just ran the codes at Auto Zone. They said it was the MAP sensor. Replaced her today, she still wants to die after coming to stop and trying to idle.

I replaced my a o2 sensor last year and it needed some time to adjust. Does the MAP sensor too? Or do I still have more problems?
Old 03-11-2013

What was the code number?
A code does not automatically mean to replace parts.

A MAP code could be just a symptom, not the cause.
Old 03-13-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What was the code number?
A code does not automatically mean to replace parts.

A MAP code could be just a symptom, not the cause.
Name:  sTf0AiP.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  29.8 KB
Old 03-13-2013

P1129, MAP higher than expected.
Fail threshold says 37 kPa (277 mmHg, 11.0 in.Hg) or more for at least 2 seconds.

1) Have you checked for wiring problems? Loose terminals, chewed wires, connector loose at the PCM or between harnesses (in front of the PCM area behind the glovebox)

2) Poor engine running condition;
didn't I already say that could cause a MAP code? (already suggested that it could be a symptom of the problem, not the actual cause of the problem).

3) You already replaced the sensor, let's hope it was a good one.

It would be nice to know what the MAP value displays as on a scanner datalist.

After clearing the code, Does it reset the code again immediately without having to start the engine?
Old 03-14-2013
Registered!!

After clearing the code, Does it reset the code again immediately without having to start the engine?
Before I replaced it, the Map Sensor came up 4 times after clearing it every time. Now that I replaced it, there's no CEL any more.
Old 03-14-2013

So then I'm assuming it must run and drive fairly decent now, just won't idle at a stop?

Could be several different things, such as needing the throttle body cleaned, sticking IAC valve, idle relearn needing done.
Old 03-14-2013
Registered!!

So then I'm assuming it must run and drive fairly decent now, just won't idle at a stop?

Could be several different things, such as needing the throttle body cleaned, sticking IAC valve, idle relearn needing done.
Cleaned the throttle body and the IAC valve and reset the idle. There was a good bit of gunk in around the throttle body valve. This fixed my idling issues, but when I took it for a spin, something smelled like burning paper and it wanted to die when I started climbing the hill near my house...
Old 03-14-2013

Sounds like it's time to start over and figure out what's going on:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4634811<--clicky
Old 03-21-2013
Registered!!

Did as much as I could. Finally took it in. Looks like my timing belt slipped a few notches. For a troubleshooting, a new belt, water pump and TDC sensor, it looks like it's gonna run me about 900 bucks after all is said and done.