Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Screeching noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rahway09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Screeching noise

hey guys so my car(02 honda civic ex) 4dr sedan is making this screeching noise coming from the hood and my friend says it was an easy fix something to do with some belts the noise happens pretty much every time i turn the car on. can anyone help and tell me how to fix this? please and thanks
Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Screeching noise

first you can check to make sure the belts are tight....

if they are, it is most likely your alternator, power steering pump, or a/c compressor

remove the belts and see how well the pulleys turn

start the car with the power steering belt removed, does the noise disappear?

next do the same thing with the alt belt removed, does the noise disappear?
Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

i had a friend look at the car and the noise is intermittently but he says the belts are good that its just dust or something of the sort!
Old 03-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it screeches when you start the car-- then it quits screeching after a little bit, tighten the alternator belt.
Old 03-12-2013
Registered!!

does anyone have a tutorial on how to do it ? please and thanks also does anyone know how i can fix this like thudding it gets when it rains it sounds like theres water in the wheel well on the passenger side. when my mechanic last tried to fix it he used a ziptide
Old 03-12-2013
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rahway09
does anyone have a tutorial on how to do it ? please and thanks also does anyone know how i can fix this like thudding it gets when it rains it sounds like theres water in the wheel well on the passenger side. when my mechanic last tried to fix it he used a ziptide
Woah, slow down there buddy.

Jack the car up and use jack stands.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-upgrade.html

Step 6, 7, 8 and 9 show you where you need to adjust.
Old 03-12-2013
Registered!!

that seems really complicated ! lol
Old 03-13-2013
Registered!!

Scourge of Ages is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it looks complicated, but it's actually pretty simple, once you get into it. Just make sure you have the wrenches, and jack it up right.

My car was doing this, and it ended up being the AC compressor / Alternator belt. It wasn't because of the compressor, but the belt is shared three ways, and it was loose.

As for the thumping noise when wet, mine is currently doing that... I'll be interested to see what you get.

Last edited by Scourge of Ages; 03-14-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: fixed derpyness
Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

so i took it to the mechanic and he says the belts are fine and tightened but its still making the screeching noise
Old 04-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

so i took it to the mechanic and he says the belts are fine and tightened but its still making the screeching noise
its probably one of your pulleys then....power steering, alternator, or A/C compressor
Old 04-22-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

But no answer as to why there is still a drastically wrong noise?

Your mechanic is broken. Replace him.
The following users liked this post:
srhxking (01-18-2022)
Old 05-01-2013
Registered!!

so the noise wasnt happening when i took it to him and he was like he needs to hear the noise to further diagnose it but i havent gone back. but i have found that the noise happens more when the ac or heat is on and then when i turn it off the noise stops does that help anyone?
Old 05-01-2013

so the noise wasnt happening when i took it to him and he was like he needs to hear the noise to further diagnose it
That's a given. Gotta verify the complaint for ourselves.

However, if you give enough information (which you already have done) one can take an educated guess as to what the most likely cause is:
but i have found that the noise happens more when the ac or heat is on and then when i turn it off the noise stops does that help anyone?
I still stand by my first reply (clicky): https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...407-post4.html

(Alternator and AC share the same belt.)