Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Defrost A/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdaugh7261 is an unknown quantity at this point
Defrost A/C

Every time I go to defrost my window and turn the **** to Defrost the damn A/C turns on and i can't turn it off, This is annoying and unnecessary especially in winter.

Also I live in Tacoma, WA, Does anyone know a place that replaces headliners that won't cost $300

Last edited by sdaugh7261; 12-18-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Defrost A/C

You can make a programming change that will allow you to release the compressor.

Search disable A/C through site search.

Headliner... could be a fair amount of labor involved.
Edit: crash parts list shows 2.0hrs for headliner replacement.

Last edited by CraigW; 12-18-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sdaugh7261
Every time I go to defrost my window and turn the **** to Defrost the damn A/C turns on and i can't turn it off, This is annoying and unnecessary especially in winter.

Also I live in Tacoma, WA, Does anyone know a place that replaces headliners that won't cost $300

Don't disable it. It isn't for the air conditioning effect, it is for the drying effect. Defrost works much better with it. My last Jeep had a softtop and a/c, trust me, drive a vehicle with no a/c and the defroster will work 1/2 as good....

Warm dry air works much better to remove the moisture from your windows than warm humid air..... I will spare the scientific reasoning, but it does make sense too...
Old 12-18-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Don't disable it. It isn't for the air conditioning effect, it is for the drying effect. Defrost works much better with it. My last Jeep had a softtop and a/c, trust me, drive a vehicle with no a/c and the defroster will work 1/2 as good....

Warm dry air works much better to remove the moisture from your windows than warm humid air..... I will spare the scientific reasoning, but it does make sense too...
This. You WANT the A/C on. A/C is often associated only with cooling the air. This is partially incorrect. A/C is used to alter temperature AND humidity. Ever notice water dripping from you car when running the A/C.

Anyway, you want dry air when running the defroster. Think of a cold soda on a hot summer day. Inside of car is warm, outside cold, any moisture in the air will condense on windows, etc.
Old 12-18-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It helps to turn off the AC if your trying to melt ice off the windshield. I programed mine to turn off for the winter. The AC does help defog the windows.
Old 12-19-2012
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure about the Civic but I have heard that most systems don't turn on the compressor when the outside temperature is below a certain temp such as 40 degrees. The reason is that at cooler temperatures the relative humidity is low so there is no reason to dry the air further.
Old 12-19-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the link to reprogram the defroster:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ogramming.html
It doesn't disable the AC on defrost when you follow this procedure, it only gives you the option of turning the AC off. As programmed at the factory the AC is on automatically and you have no option to deactivate it. Once you reprogram the AC will still kick on automatically when you turn on the defroster, but the button will now activate (indicate AC on) allowing you to turn it off if you wish.
Old 12-19-2012
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dubtee1480
This is the link to reprogram the defroster:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ogramming.html
It doesn't disable the AC on defrost when you follow this procedure, it only gives you the option of turning the AC off. As programmed at the factory the AC is on automatically and you have no option to deactivate it. Once you reprogram the AC will still kick on automatically when you turn on the defroster, but the button will now activate (indicate AC on) allowing you to turn it off if you wish.
That is how mine has always been for the couple years I've had it. Guess little sis could've had it reprogrammed when she was taking it to the dealer for her maintenance though.
Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

I had to reprogram my car so I could turn off the A/C when defrosting, its a simple procedure.

A/C does help defrost for sure but if you live in the north you really don't need it to defrost when it's cold, heat will do just fine. Just make sure the recycle air button is OFF. The humidity is so low on cold days the air doesn't need dried (dehumidified).