Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedo issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CorruptFile is an unknown quantity at this point
Speedo issue

Hey all, new here!

Here is a bit of background 'bout me. I come from a family of Honda owners... We had a 86 Civic, 92 Civic, 97 Civic, 04 CRV, and I also have a 88 CBR600. So yeah, you can tell where my allegiance lies.

My girlfriend is looking to get her first car. Obviously you know what I want to get... We are looking at a 2001 Civic. It has about 247000 km's on it, which I though it pretty fair for the age of the car. The body is in pretty good shape, the engine purrs, no ticking, no clunking from the slush box (i know, she wants a autobox )

There always belies a hitch, though. The speedo doesn't work. When you turn the ignition on, the needle sweeps to 240 kph and stays there during driving. Every other gauge seems to work. Here is the weird part - the odometer seems to work fine. When driving, the odometer seems to record the correct mileage (it doesn't go up as if we were going +200 kph). At first I though VSS, but wouldn't the odometer reflect this? Bad cluster? Wiring? I really want to have an idea before I make an offer, as the owner says he will negotiate the price on the repair. The other thing is the radio (aftermarket) doesn't work. I know on some cars, electrical problems like this can be related.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Speedo issue

Sounds like a bad cluster. You can do the following. Video included.

Press and hold odometer/trip/reset button, turn parking lights ON, turn ignition to ON(position II), turn parking lights OFF, ON, OFF, then press odometer button 4 times.

And video:

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1347& transactionid=1354504997-758515094&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_v ideo_id=cvgaAKP0Ga4[/autostream]

Last edited by Matt_75; 12-02-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CorruptFile is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good. Glad I came here
Thanks, I suppose if its a cluster problem, the speedo will not go back down. I doubt its necessary to even do it, because the speedo sweeps all the way up even before the car is turned on.

I will start looking for a new cluster - which leads me to the next question. Are these new electronic odo's setable? Like will I be able to flash the 'correct' mileage into the 'new' cluster?
Old 12-02-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

It can and would have to be flashed and AFAIK a dealer is the only one that can do it. I guess there could be a local mechanic with the equipment, but I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by Matt_75; 12-02-2012 at 10:48 PM.