Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 civic A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blly8325 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post 01 civic A/C issues

Did a search w/o any solutions. Sorry if this is a dead thread. Recently purchased a 01 Civic. Had a bad A/C clutch so it had the no A/C belt installed. I purchased a bearing and installed it. Wasn't too bad w/ the right tools. Bunch of knuckle busting though. Did all the spec deflection as per the Honda Manual. The only thing I did not replace was the coil. It looked fine except for the resin epoxy coating was burnt out. Seems like the prev. owner ran that compressor till flames were shooting out cause the bearing was FUBARRED real bad didn't spin at all. Now the problem. The car will produce nice cold air but for only 3 min. then the Condenser fan fuse No.1 will blow. I have another coil. I do know fuses blow w/ current overload. But the coil is working activating the clutch. I'm thinking since the coil is not perfect maybe it's causing an overload. Checked all the A/c relays,all good. Any questions or input would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all. Oh if anyone has any questions in how I changed the bearing and clutch I will be glad to help.
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: 01 civic A/C issues

Im with ya, i bet the coil is screwed causing the load excess. Have any way to check amp draw? The actual LOAD part of the condensor fan relay goes through that fuse too. OHMS check them for a start.

I have a diagram of the circuit but I cant post it, got email?
Old 08-05-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Melted coil wiring = failed coil. DUH!!!!
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

Yeah kinda figured that, just was lazy to go to the autoparts store to get a bigger snap ring plier. Couldn't do it w/ the dinky one I have. Guess i'm gonna have to spring for one. Hoping I could save some time by leaving it alone......OH WELL!!!!!
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

Thanks John for the reply. Yeah I was hoping I could leave it in to save some time and some money. Gotta buy a bigger snap ring plier. If I would've had one at the time I would've changed that burnt coil,more knuckle busting for me is coming, SUX.... Anyways big KUDOS on your mechanic credentials, and the Medical field is big! They always need people in the Medical field. Good luck w/ that.
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

Re: 01 civic A/C issues UPDATE

So taking advice from Gearbox,Johndeere and Biscuit I broke down and bought a new larger snap ring plier. Un bolted the power steering, the alternator, and the plastic inner fender Once again. Took out my brand spankin new larger snap ring pliers and removed the beat up old coil. Re installed the newer one. Bolted her back up. Checked belt deflection. Put a brand new 20 amp fuse (slot No.1 cond. fan) started her up and had nice cool air while I was in the car. Stepped out to check the fuse/relay box and put my finger on fuse No.1 to see if it was getting hot then I felt click. I immediately went into beast mode and started cursing ***** F'er WTF is the prob? The click I thought was the fuse popping, but in all actuality it was the a/c relay telling the clutch on the compressor to disengage. I pulled the fuse it was fine, popped it back in sat in car for 10 min and was enjoying my A/C. So if you're planning to do a bearing repair change everything not just the bearing. It will save headaches. THANKS to all that helped me and thanks to the creators of this FORUM so much great knowledge and experience here. Now my butt does not have to bake this summer. !!!!!