Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ticking - Manifold or Valve Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Ticking - Manifold or Valve Adjustment?

My 03 LX produces a constant ticking noise upon a cold startup and the ticking becomes faster as I accelerate the car. After about 2-3 minutes of driving, the ticking completely disappears but the problem comes back again after every cold startups.

I've poked around the forums and got hints that it might be a cracked exhaust manifold or I might need a valve adjustment. Can anyone else offer any more info./advice?

I really appreciate this. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough
Re: Ticking - Manifold or Valve Adjustment?

It's likely valves if it goes away as the engine heats up and parts expand...but then again, it could also be the injectors...they can get pretty loud on a cold start.
Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Most likely it's the manifold. They're known to crack. Look very carefully for cracks. Remove the heat shield to get a better look. Place your fingers very carefully just under the manifold tubes for each cylinder with the engine running and you'll probably feel puffs of exhaust leaking out. Don't do this if you have unsteady hands or you will get badly burned.

If the leak is bad enough you will probably smell exhaust around the front of the engine if you get your head right up there near the manifold. Don't asphyxiate!
Old 08-01-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Mine does exactly the same thing and I know the problem is the manifold gasket on the head.
Just stick your head under the hood and use your right hand to actuate the throttle while you listen for the noise.
If you want to get more specific you can take a long screwdriver and snugly place the handle to your ear and the other end to different parts of the engine to isolate where the noise is originating. Where the noise is loudest is likely the area of failure.
Old 08-01-2012
Registered!!

Thanks, I will check around the manifold today. Time to get dirty.
Old 09-21-2012
Registered!!

Update:

It was a cracked exhaust manifold in two areas; one around the weld area near the head and another one creeping around my o2 sensor. I had so much bad luck with this one. All of the mounting bolts were so corroded and "soft" so I ended up stripping three of the hex nuts. So I took a really sharp flathead screw driver and chiseled the damn things off of the stud. Surprisingly, the stud didn't snap and threads were still in excellent condition. It took a good 3 hours but worth the effort. Car is running great now; exhaust-wise.

Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

M00n3at3r is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having a simular issue, except it sounds like a bearing on a belt is bad or something because it ticks with the spin of one of my belts. I've tries turning on and off the a/c but that doesnt do a thing. I can't hear it when I drive, but it bugs me when I sit and oogle my engine xDD

Hope I'm not hijacking your post!!!
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by M00n3at3r
I am having a simular issue, except it sounds like a bearing on a belt is bad or something because it ticks with the spin of one of my belts. I've tries turning on and off the a/c but that doesnt do a thing. I can't hear it when I drive, but it bugs me when I sit and oogle my engine xDD

Hope I'm not hijacking your post!!!
Remove power steering belt and start up. If the noise is still there, then remove alternator belt and start up. If the noise is still there then its not the belts. Clean and dry the pulleys with break cleaner while the belts are off.
Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wildcat445 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found this thread via a search, and I'm hoping the cracked exhaust manifold gasket is the cure. Aside from the ticking, would you also hear a light "popping" type of sound in the exhaust on the other end of the car?

This is a 2004 Civic LX. One thing I noticed yesterday morning (in single digit temps) is that while I stood alongside the car, near the driver's door, it almost sounded like an exhaust leak. So I am hoping the fix is this simple!

I only ask since I had a '92 Civic ages ago with a similar problem. But, it was visibly burning oil (that blue cloud behind me during acceleration was perhaps a small clue, no? ). Similar ticking from the valvetrain, and a similar popping in the exhaust. Someone mentioned to me it was an exhaust valve seal, which made sense. I never got a chance to find out, because my ex got rear-ended in it at about 50mph (and shoved under an Aerostar) and pretty much ended its life.

I see no blue smoke, but I do notice some oil loss. However, the cam plug is leaking a bit so I know that needs attention.

What I do notice is a bit of a "diesel" smell when it's cold. Not sure if it's related (gases leaking out of the cracked gasket), or if something else is going on. Just bought this car back in October (to temporarily replace an Acura lost in the floods in August), so I have no clue as to maintenance other than what was on the Carfax report.
Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

The "popping" could just be a reverberation of the leak upstream. If you are smelling (hopefully NOT diesel!!) a gas smell near the front end of your car, you likely have a leak before the cat.

Open the hood and get your ears in there to see if the noise is coming from your valves or from under the car/near the exhaust manifold.