Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Ticking - Manifold or Valve Adjustment? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/350501-ticking-manifold-valve-adjustment.html)

Cabbio 07-30-2012 06:41 PM

Ticking - Manifold or Valve Adjustment?

My 03 LX produces a constant ticking noise upon a cold startup and the ticking becomes faster as I accelerate the car. After about 2-3 minutes of driving, the ticking completely disappears but the problem comes back again after every cold startups.

I've poked around the forums and got hints that it might be a cracked exhaust manifold or I might need a valve adjustment. Can anyone else offer any more info./advice?

I really appreciate this. Thanks!

Aetoc 07-31-2012 09:11 AM

Re: Ticking - Manifold or Valve Adjustment?

It's likely valves if it goes away as the engine heats up and parts expand...but then again, it could also be the injectors...they can get pretty loud on a cold start.

scooty 07-31-2012 11:00 PM

Most likely it's the manifold. They're known to crack. Look very carefully for cracks. Remove the heat shield to get a better look. Place your fingers very carefully just under the manifold tubes for each cylinder with the engine running and you'll probably feel puffs of exhaust leaking out. Don't do this if you have unsteady hands or you will get badly burned.

If the leak is bad enough you will probably smell exhaust around the front of the engine if you get your head right up there near the manifold. Don't asphyxiate!

Biscuit 08-01-2012 04:37 AM

Mine does exactly the same thing and I know the problem is the manifold gasket on the head.
Just stick your head under the hood and use your right hand to actuate the throttle while you listen for the noise.
If you want to get more specific you can take a long screwdriver and snugly place the handle to your ear and the other end to different parts of the engine to isolate where the noise is originating. Where the noise is loudest is likely the area of failure.

Cabbio 08-01-2012 09:21 AM

Thanks, I will check around the manifold today. Time to get dirty.

Cabbio 09-21-2012 08:24 PM

Update:

It was a cracked exhaust manifold in two areas; one around the weld area near the head and another one creeping around my o2 sensor. I had so much bad luck with this one. All of the mounting bolts were so corroded and "soft" so I ended up stripping three of the hex nuts. So I took a really sharp flathead screw driver and chiseled the damn things off of the stud. Surprisingly, the stud didn't snap and threads were still in excellent condition. It took a good 3 hours but worth the effort. Car is running great now; exhaust-wise.

Thanks again!

M00n3at3r 10-25-2012 11:44 AM

I am having a simular issue, except it sounds like a bearing on a belt is bad or something because it ticks with the spin of one of my belts. I've tries turning on and off the a/c but that doesnt do a thing. I can't hear it when I drive, but it bugs me when I sit and oogle my engine xDD

Hope I'm not hijacking your post!!!

scooty 10-27-2012 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by M00n3at3r (Post 4622099)
I am having a simular issue, except it sounds like a bearing on a belt is bad or something because it ticks with the spin of one of my belts. I've tries turning on and off the a/c but that doesnt do a thing. I can't hear it when I drive, but it bugs me when I sit and oogle my engine xDD

Hope I'm not hijacking your post!!!

Remove power steering belt and start up. If the noise is still there, then remove alternator belt and start up. If the noise is still there then its not the belts. Clean and dry the pulleys with break cleaner while the belts are off.

Wildcat445 02-10-2015 11:15 AM

I found this thread via a search, and I'm hoping the cracked exhaust manifold gasket is the cure. Aside from the ticking, would you also hear a light "popping" type of sound in the exhaust on the other end of the car?

This is a 2004 Civic LX. One thing I noticed yesterday morning (in single digit temps) is that while I stood alongside the car, near the driver's door, it almost sounded like an exhaust leak. So I am hoping the fix is this simple!

I only ask since I had a '92 Civic ages ago with a similar problem. But, it was visibly burning oil (that blue cloud behind me during acceleration was perhaps a small clue, no? :D ). Similar ticking from the valvetrain, and a similar popping in the exhaust. Someone mentioned to me it was an exhaust valve seal, which made sense. I never got a chance to find out, because my ex got rear-ended in it at about 50mph (and shoved under an Aerostar) and pretty much ended its life.

I see no blue smoke, but I do notice some oil loss. However, the cam plug is leaking a bit so I know that needs attention.

What I do notice is a bit of a "diesel" smell when it's cold. Not sure if it's related (gases leaking out of the cracked gasket), or if something else is going on. Just bought this car back in October (to temporarily replace an Acura lost in the floods in August), so I have no clue as to maintenance other than what was on the Carfax report.

Reverb2005 02-10-2015 03:54 PM

The "popping" could just be a reverberation of the leak upstream. If you are smelling (hopefully NOT diesel!!) a gas smell near the front end of your car, you likely have a leak before the cat.

Open the hood and get your ears in there to see if the noise is coming from your valves or from under the car/near the exhaust manifold.