Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC belt squeals. need some solid answers please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raymondxcho is an unknown quantity at this point
AC belt squeals. need some solid answers please

I've looked around everywhere to figure out why and how to fix my A/C belt squealing. (7thgenhonda, clubcivic, here) The most I find is vague short answers.

My 01 Civic's AC works fine. It just squeals like a there's no tomorrow only when my car is cold. And it lasts for ~20 seconds (I play with my clutch to sort of shut it up (doesn't really work)). I hear chirps every now and then but that's really about it.

I want to fix this problem while the problem is still small and I have very little knowledge when it comes to belts. I have learned that the A/C belt is shared with other components like the alternator so I'm a little worried that my alternator might get affected too.

I know where the alternator is but not the A/C stuff. I don't know where the belt is either.

The car also squeals when the AC is not on but only when the car is cold if that says anything. But this happens a lot less often. The AC squealing happens almost every time the car is cold.

Please help a guy out I'd love to be informed about this stuff so I can take care of future problems myself.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: AC belt squeals. need some solid answers please

Belts probably a little loose. Deflection on the belt should be 1/8th an inch.
Old 07-21-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah or old. mine does it too and i get some short chirps when at idle with a/c. sometimes i get the nasty squeals for 5-10 secs. easiest solution is replace the belt, or spray some dressing to hold it over. im waiting couple more yrs til i get the timing belt done to do the acc belts.
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Can you tell me where the belt is? I can't seem to locate it.

And also, how do I tighten it?
I've read different answers. Some say twist a wing nut somewhere near the alternator, others say loosen three bolts and then twist the wing nut.
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

You have to loosen 2 bolts first, then move the wingnut clockwise to tighten the belt. One bolt is at the top of the alternator, a long bolt. The other you will have to take the LF tire off, remove a few clips to get the splash guard out of the way. At least that's how I do it.

I'm not even sure it's possible to tighten the belt without removing the P.S. pump.

Has the timing belt been done?
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

Yup the previous owner did the timing belt at 100k, i'm at 116k right now.

I guess he didn't change the ac belt while he was at it.

Where exactly is the second bolt? I want to get this done but I just need a bit more specifics bc I don't want to be in the middle of the process and be unsure of something.

And after tightening the wing nut, do I tighten the two bolts back up?
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

http://adambovie.com/images/civic/alternator1.jpg

It's the one circled in green.

I couldn't find a pic of it in the car. You'll see it when you get the splash guard out, it's directly above the A/C compressor.

I would be shocked if he didn't replace the belt but some people are cheap like that. I would replace it either way, damage is done when they squeal like that. To change it you just have to turn the wingnut counter-clockwise until you can slip the belt off. It's really not that much extra work.

Yes tighten the bolts after you are done.
Old 07-22-2012
Registered!!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The belt can be tightened without removing the PS pump.