Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS light persistently coming on, unable to reset light.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike408 is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS light persistently coming on, unable to reset light.

Hey guys, so I've had this problem with my SRS light coming on my 2002 honda civic coupe and it's been this way for months. I'm sure its my seat belt and not my actual airbags and in the past my dad would spray cleaner in the buckle and we would reset the SRS light by opening the panel and using a bent paperclip as seen in this youtube video. I've reset my SRS light numerous times in the past whenever it came on, but that only seemed to mask the problem. Now I'm getting employment based on my vehicle reliability (delivering pizza) and I want to pass my inspection without having to explain this SRS light and get bitched at by my boss.

I tried resetting the SRS light today, and it comes on I plug in the paperclip, it goes off for a few seconds (unplug) , turns back on (plug back in), turns off (unplug) and anything after that will get no response. I dont get the 2 blinks and bye bye SRS anymore, it just stays. I know this problem is under recall but I dont know how long that will take to fix.

I also saw that my check engine light flashed 5 or 6 times after I did this. I'm not sure if this is a troubleshoot code for my problem, but thats something I examined. Can anyone please help me out?

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=636&t ransactionid=1342681931-6624521758&posted_by=Mike408_www.civicforums.com&y outube_video_id=4t4ds8ae9tM[/autostream]
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Mike408 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SRS light persistently coming on, unable to reset light.

Am I just not doing it right?
Edit: I sat in my passenger door with the driver door closed, buckled in my seatbelt so its secure and did everything like before and it WORKED. Looks like I'm passing inspection, just gotta take this in to recall the faulty seatbelt at the dealership when I got a weekend off.

Last edited by Mike408; 07-19-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Anytime my SRS light comes on, i diagnose what it is and then just take it to the dealership, they replace parts for free since most srs parts have a "lifetime warranty" (unless your car is a salvage)

Heres how to diagnose the problem- http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707

And as far as how you're resetting the light, just follow this step by step-
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ght-video.html
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Drock22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike I had the same problem with my 02 coupe. If your car hasn't been in an accident, or you unplugged your seat belt buckle sensors to thoroughly clean your seats, then it is one of the seat belt buckles that need to be replaced and like what Jones said above they are life time warranty so just bring it into the dealership.
Old 07-20-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

when mine came up, i checked the code and unfortunately it was not belts, it was the siemens unit.
so take to the dealer or use the above mentioned method and read the code. if situation changed, something else might be the cause.