Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

power steering rattleing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bert296 is an unknown quantity at this point
power steering rattleing??

i have an 02 civic ex auto at low rpms it makes a annoying rattleing noise i belive is coming from the power steering pump i cant figure it out any one know what this is or have it happen to there car??
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: power steering rattleing??

Can't know without a sound bite or video but, it sounds like a bad bearing in the PS pump. Here's an exploded view: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/find-...%20-%20BRACKET Take the pump apart and look for bad bearing(s).

To pinpoint the noise CAREFULLY put the end of a screwdriver on the suspected part and your ear to the other end of the screwdriver. It should be obvious which part it is with your ear to the screwdriver.
Old 06-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Positive it's the PS?
I'd remove the PS belt real quick.
If the noise is gone, then you are in the right neighborhood. Spin the pump pulley with your fingers, feel for roughness or catching.
If the noise is still there, then it ain't the power steering. Keep looking.

Make sure both mounting bolts for the pump were tight too. A loose one sure could make it rattle.

Timing belt just done? Alternator tight?

That said, I haven't really seen any with a problem here.
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pmjr0987 will become famous soon enough

i have a problem with my pump too, low rpm stumbling, i have to have the car over 1k rpm for the steering to work when im stopped. if i dont blip the throttle, it studderes and shakes and i can feel it in the steering wheel not working. Fluids up to level too
Old 06-17-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pmjr0987
have to have the car over 1k rpm for the steering to work when im stopped.
This part sounds like a worn out pump, it can't build sufficient pressure at idle RPM for power assist.

We have a huge problem with Odyssey vans (05-10) doing just this right now.
Old 11-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coopab is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bert296
i have an 02 civic ex auto at low rpms it makes a annoying rattleing noise i belive is coming from the power steering pump i cant figure it out any one know what this is or have it happen to there car??
Did you solve the problem?
I have the same symptom, rattling noise that seems to be coming from the P/S pump. Did the screwdriver/stethoscope test and it seems pretty likely that the P/S pump is faulty. However, there is no apparent loss of power steering performance, fluid level is OK.
I wonder if a problem with the alternator or A/C compressor could cause the rattling sound since they are all mounted in the same area???
coopab
Old 11-05-2014

Originally Posted by coopab
Did you solve the problem?
I have the same symptom, rattling noise that seems to be coming from the P/S pump. Did the screwdriver/stethoscope test and it seems pretty likely that the P/S pump is faulty. However, there is no apparent loss of power steering performance, fluid level is OK.
I wonder if a problem with the alternator or A/C compressor could cause the rattling sound since they are all mounted in the same area???
coopab
Remove the belt from the PS pump, then run the engine. Is the noise still present?