Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tie rod question

Old 06-14-2012
ES1 parts you don't need? I will buy them for free!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H82001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tie rod question

So i got an alignment a few weeks ago after i put my Megan coilovers on to get rid of the 4.2" of toe i had afterwards then about a week later i Autox'd it for the first time at Tanacross(which was awesome fyi) and after THAT, my steering wheel is off and i pull to the left a bit. Obviously i need another alignment but if 2 days of running a track messed it up this much, something is probably worn out so my question is, what should i replace? >I< don't think it is the outer rod ends because if it were, I think it would have a little more drastic effect on the performance, plus i would notice it when i inspected it if they slipped a few threads(i did inspect it). So i'm looking for some input before i go throwing parts at it. How can i test the inners to make sure it is them? Should I get oem replacements or are there any better options i should look at instead? Should i just replace the entire tie rod and ends? Or is everything fine and something just came loose and the shop needs to re-fix it? Thanks in advance, and if anything does need to be replaced, i will probably make a DIY cuz i couldn't find jack on here about tie rods/problems with them.
Old 06-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tie rod question

Tie rod ends: Jack the wheels off the ground, grab the tire at 3 and 9 oclock, shake lightly. You shouldn't be able to feel any free play. If you feel free play, then you get under there and figure out where the play is.

Steering off center and pulls now (thinking of stock suspension, since I really don't know what all has been touched and changed on your car, so...) In general:
Something moved. Like a strut moved on the knuckle (the 2 big bolts), if it now pulls.
Or got tweaked or bent. Did you bump anything solid? It doesn't take much.

If you know what the alignment WAS, take an alignment reading NOW and compare with what it was, you should be able to tell where to look. What changed since the last time?
NOTE: Camber changes when the knuckle and strut moved will also cause toe to change.

HTH
Old 06-14-2012

Thanks boss i will start shaking things right away after work tomorrow. I didn't hit anything during the race but it was a little bumpy if that would bend anything. Nothing seemed like it was more than a car could normally take. As for things moving, that seems likely because the Megan coilover's camber adjustment is just 4 set screws on the top of the unit so that may have moved. I don't know how sturdy those things hold.
Old 06-14-2012

Actually i'll go do it now cuz tomorrow's friday and i pcs in 17 days so screw alaska.
Old 06-15-2012

camber was off. re-centered everything and its 99% better. I'll go talk to the shop tomorrow and see if i can get a free alignment out of them since they apparently don't have allen wrenches to tighten the bolts.
Old 06-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear it wasn't huge.
Wonder where it went wrong....

You don't have stock suspension.
Did a knuckle dragger do the alignment?
The machine doesn't say that is an adjustment point, so therefore.....it is unpossible.

/wish I was kidding