Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear brakes making noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear brakes making noise

For a while now, every time I let off the brakes I hear a kind of squeaking noise that comes from one or both of the rear brakes when I let off the break pedal. I initially thought that it might be coming from the front brakes, but after doing some reading on here I read that if the noise happens when you release your parking brake that it's likely the rear brakes making the noise.

I'm planning on taking a look at the rear brakes soon and was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me. For instance, are there parts that I should grease or clean that might eliminate the squeaking sound?

Thanks for your help
Old 05-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear brakes making noise

Lube these points with a thick heavy lube that cannot melt or run to contaminate the important braking surfaces.

I like MoS2 paste (Moly grease) for this, I have tons of it laying around because all of Hondas brake pad sets comes with a packet of it.
Sil-Glide might be acceptable too.

If you are crafty like me, you may be able to sneak the lube in there without tearing down the brake shoes.

Or just ignore it until it is really time for a rear brake job, but that could be a lifetime. They take for-freekin-ever to wear out the rear shoes. Seems like at least 5 sets of front brakes to one set of rear shoes, if not even more.

HTH
Old 05-13-2012
Registered!!

Hi ezone, thanks for your reply!

Is the diagram saying to put the grease on the drum where the brake shoes make contact? Wouldn't that be a bad thing? I'm a little confused..

I couldn't find "Moly grease" at Advance Auto Parts, but the guy up front sold me a little green packet of "Ultra Disk Brake Lubricant" that he said should work. Is that OK?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 05-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ezone, thanks for your reply!

YW

Is the diagram saying to put the grease on the drum where the brake shoes make contact?

Yes.

Wouldn't that be a bad thing?

No.

I'm a little confused..

You are only to lubricate metal-to-metal contact points, not friction surfaces or material. Use only enough lube to cover each contact point. Any excess could get on the linings.

Grease, oil, brake fluid, and other petroleum products on the linings or friction surfaces is bad, very very bad.

This is why I said the grease needs to be thick, so it can't run off and get on friction surfaces.

Almost every drum brake setup on any car has those 6 points on the backing plates where the shoes make contact, and springs hold the shoes tight against the backing plate.

This stuff is all over the net.

If the backing plate pads are rusted, they may need cleaned....

I couldn't find "Moly grease" at Advance Auto Parts, but the guy up front sold me a little green packet of "Ultra Disk Brake Lubricant" that he said should work. Is that OK?

Should be fine.
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

ezone - you're my new hero, man! Thank you for the detailed description and pictures! I did as you said, and the sqeaking from the rear brakes is completely gone. Wonderful!

The front right brake seems to be making a slightly quieter squeak, one that I couldn't hear when the rear brakes were squeaking so loudly, but I think I need to replace my front pads and rotors soon anyway, so hopefully that will fix that.

Thanks again!