Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP! 2004 Civic SI

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012
Trying to get this 2004 si on the road!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertBaldwin is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP! 2004 Civic SI

I have a 2004 Civic SI and the ignition locked up. Wheel wont turn, key wont turn just completely locked up. I called around for ignitions but they are running for $400 to $700! Is there any way for me to bypass the ignition? maybe with a push button or something. I think if a break the wheel free though it will go into theft mode I heard and even with a new ignition honda said I would have to get the key for the new ignition programed for it to work. Any Tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Try keeping an ear out for an ignition too
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

309antonios will become famous soon enough309antonios will become famous soon enough
Re: HELP! 2004 Civic SI

You just have to jiggle the key and the wheel at the same time. Your Ignition tumblers actuate a little lock that pops into a slot on the steering column. If your steering wheel is stuffed up against the side of that slot and the pressure of how the wheels are pushing the steering whee will really jam it in there.

Just jiggle them both at the same time!

Best,
Antonio
Old 04-19-2012

I was hoping that would work, I tried for a long time yesterday. I just bought the car and the guy said he had tried it too and it's been sitting for 3 months because he couldn't get the key to turn. :/
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

309antonios will become famous soon enough309antonios will become famous soon enough

Ohhh No! Turn the car on it's side and dump in some graphite lube! Heh. Maybe get the front wheels of the ground and try it, that's kind of random, but worth a shot. Try to get some lube in there though!

Alas, you can take the steering wheel of with only 5 bolts, 4 keep the steering column up and 1 attaches it to the ujoint to the steering rack. Take it off and frig with it!
Old 04-19-2012

alright, sounds good. I'll try messing with that today than and see if I can get it unlocked. Is there anything I need to do to not set off the airbag? I've always worked on 88-91's lol never had airbags to worry about
Old 04-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If turning the steering wheel doesn't get the lock to release, then the tumblers in the lock cylinder are probably worn and the key has jammed.

I can remove the column lock assembly.
I can rebuild and retumble the lock cylinder so the key works again, if that is the problem.
I'm too far away to help though.

If you can figure out how to remove your column lock as a complete unit, a SMART dealer tech may be able to help, or a locksmith (they may just remove tumblers until it works again though).
The sidewinder keys are rather unique, very likely a smith isn't going to have tumblers to rebuild. A dealer should have tumblers, but finding someone capable of the work there will be your problem.

If you decide to replace stuff, the car will still need towed to a dealer to program the immobilizer keys.
If the original lock gets rebuilt, no programming is necessary.
A center punch and hammer are what I use to remove the anti-tamper (breakaway) bolts that secure the column lock assembly to the column tube.

Locksmiths make housecalls here too.

HTH
Old 04-19-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertBaldwin
alright, sounds good. I'll try messing with that today than and see if I can get it unlocked. Is there anything I need to do to not set off the airbag? I've always worked on 88-91's lol never had airbags to worry about
I never touch the airbags for this work.
I don't worry about them unless I am actually working on the SRS system or I am hammering near an impact sensor.
Old 04-19-2012

So there shouldn't be anything to set it off when taking off the steering wheel? Thanks
Old 04-19-2012

I called the Dealer earlier and mentioned to them about the reprograming of the key. I specifically asked him if I needed to bring in the car and the key or just the key and he said he would need just the key to reprogram somehow. weird magic it sounds like lol I am going to try unlocking it some more today and if not see if I can't take it all off to get a better look I guess. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012

So there shouldn't be anything to set it off when taking off the steering wheel? Thanks
Don't take off the steering wheel.
That will not help your situation at all.
(This seems like removing the trunk lid to get the hood open!)
You need to remove the column lock to release the column to steer the car.

Column covers come off first. See what you need to work with before trying to yank the wheel off.

You could decide to remove the steering wheel for more room to get the column lock off though, but I have never had to remove a wheel to do this job.

Did you jack up the front wheels off the ground yet to make sure pressure isn't holding the lock from turning?
Old 04-19-2012

I called the Dealer earlier and mentioned to them about the reprograming of the key. I specifically asked him if I needed to bring in the car and the key or just the key and he said he would need just the key to reprogram somehow. weird magic it sounds like lol I am going to try unlocking it some more today and if not see if I can't take it all off to get a better look I guess. Thanks!
Whomever you talked to has no clue about what really gets done, nor what you are about to do.
And it wouldn't matter that you didn't adequately describe your particular situation to someone that actually does the work. They heard "program key" and rattled off their usual answer.

If you try to replace the steering column lock assembly with a new unit (has a new immobi receiver and new keys), the car WILL go to the dealer to get everything programmed.

Like I said earlier: If the original parts are rebuilt, no programming will be necessary

HTH
Old 04-19-2012

Originally Posted by ezone
Don't take off the steering wheel.
That will not help your situation at all.
(This seems like removing the trunk lid to get the hood open!)
You need to remove the column lock to release the column to steer the car.

Column covers come off first. See what you need to work with before trying to yank the wheel off.

You could decide to remove the steering wheel for more room to get the column lock off though, but I have never had to remove a wheel to do this job.

Did you jack up the front wheels off the ground yet to make sure pressure isn't holding the lock from turning?
Ok thanks for saving me the hassle on the wheel than! I had it towed yesterday from the guys house to mine and tried when I got it back here so I dont think the pressure to the wheels fixed it.
Old 04-19-2012

Whomever you talked to has no clue about what really gets done, nor what you are about to do.
And it wouldn't matter that you didn't adequately describe your particular situation to someone that actually does the work. They heard "program key" and rattled off their usual answer.

If you try to replace the steering column lock assembly with a new unit (has a new immobi receiver and new keys), the car WILL go to the dealer to get everything programmed.

Like I said earlier: If the original parts are rebuilt, no programming will be necessary

HTH

kk, I thought he had no idea when I was on the phone with him. I heard him calling out and asking someone else lol. Well, I'm gonna run out there and mess with it some. The plastics around the column are all off. If I cant lube it or get it free i'll start pulling it off. Is it all just regular bolts or is it going to be a big pain? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks so much for the help though!
Old 04-19-2012

Alternate method: You could use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to grind a slot in the bolts, then use a screwdriver. They are kind of tight though.

Google, google images, and youtube: how to remove breakaway bolts

HTH
Old 04-19-2012

2 bolts hold it to the column. No hex on the bolts, they look like small cones. The hex heads are broken off during assembly (tamper resistant).

Generic Honda column lock assembly, not quite like yours, but similar. (Upside down too.)

You should see this clamp holding it to the column.

HTH
Old 04-19-2012

2 bolts hold it to the column. No hex on the bolts, they look like small cones. The hex heads are broken off during assembly (tamper resistant).

Generic Honda column lock assembly, not quite like yours, but similar. (Upside down too.)

You should see this clamp holding it to the column.

HTH
Ok yeah, I see Those two bolts on the top of the column
Old 04-19-2012

is it just those 2 bolts and a few electrical clips than? I dont really see anything else I dont think. Those look like a pain in the *** already though lol
Old 04-19-2012

is it just those 2 bolts and a few electrical clips than? I dont really see anything else I dont think. Those look like a pain in the *** already though lol

That should be it. Yeah, they can be a pain if it is your first time.

If the ignition switch (heavy duty wires) has its harness made into the switch, unscrew and remove the switch.
If it just unplugs, then unplug it.

Kind of rare for me to do one on that car, this process isn't exactly burned into my memory.
Old 04-19-2012

Name:  KGrHqNi0E8W5vGi9BPRtfc2w60_12.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  KGrHqFrcE88g9cKRSBPRtjndfw60_12.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  16.6 KB
Old 04-19-2012

That should be it. Yeah, they can be a pain if it is your first time.

If the ignition switch (heavy duty wires) has its harness made into the switch, unscrew and remove the switch.
If it just unplugs, then unplug it.

Kind of rare for me to do one on that car, this process isn't exactly burned into my memory.
Hey, Even if you've NEVER done it on this car your advice if definitely gonna help me. I appreciate it. When I youtube how to take off a Breakaway bolt all the vids were how to take out a Broken bolt? same difference or is it a different process. I'm going to try picking up a disk for my rotozip tomorrow and hope that works.
Old 04-19-2012

You did NOT just get that off of there while I was in the McDs drive thru, did you?

Remove the black things at the end by the key. Reconnect them to the car. Stick your key through the hole and let it dangle there. This lets the immobilizer read the key.

Remove the ignition switch from the opposite end. Plug it in to the car.
Use a screwdriver to twist it to start the car.

Drive to the dealer or a lock shop.

You will need new screws or adapt something else to reassemble the mess to the column.

HTH
Old 04-19-2012

Hey, Even if you've NEVER done it on this car your advice if definitely gonna help me. I appreciate it. When I youtube how to take off a Breakaway bolt all the vids were how to take out a Broken bolt? same difference or is it a different process. I'm going to try picking up a disk for my rotozip tomorrow and hope that works.
I didn't check youtube for vids, sorry.
Different methods, as far as I'm concerned. Broken off hardware is a different situation.

You just have to unscrew 2 bolts that don't have the normal hex everyone is used to seeing. Learn a couple methods, use whatever works in the situation you have.

I use a center punch and hammer to drive the bolts counterclockwise to remove them. My preferred method.
The other popular method is cutting the slot for a screwdriver, if there is room to do it.

There was an interlock recall on older Accords (and a few others) that involved doing all this work, I got real fast at those.

HTH
Old 04-19-2012

You did NOT just get that off of there while I was in the McDs drive thru, did you?

Remove the black things at the end by the key. Reconnect them to the car. Stick your key through the hole and let it dangle there. This lets the immobilizer read the key.

You will need new screws or adapt something else to reassemble the mess to the column.

HTH
LOL. No, not yet. I just got a pic of one so I could see it all when it's out. I think I need to wait til tomorrow to pick up the disk for my rotozip. Unless I can drill the bolts out? I have to read about those a bit more. I'll time myself though. Lol. Shouldn't be too bad with just the 2 bolts and a few clips
Old 04-19-2012

I wouldn't drill. Metal shavings and wiring don't mix.

Probably isn't room for a Dewalt up there anyway. LOL
Old 04-19-2012

well, I ordered an ignition switch. It's the exact one in those pictures I posted. I'll be taking the broken one off tomorrow. They will be able to program it even though it's a used one, right? I really hope so
Old 04-19-2012

HTH
Tomorrow i'll be trying this. If I can get it to run with the screwdriver than I can drive it to the dealer, put the new ignition on and have them program it. should be good to go at that point. That would be perfect. Off to work for today. Hope it goes good tomorrow
Old 04-19-2012

A used unit can be programmed. I hope you got plenty of keys with it.

Did you check the fee for programming at your dealer?
Old 04-19-2012

A used unit can be programmed. I hope you got plenty of keys with it.

Did you check the fee for programming at your dealer?
They said it was $50 to reprogram. I think the ignition is only coming with one key :/ I'll have to see how much the dealer will charge for an extra
Old 04-19-2012

Only $50 to do the programming?
Wow, that's reasonable.
I expected to hear double that, at least.

I see $46 list price for a black headed key (master).

$18 list each for a gray valet key (this is all you need since these keys will ONLY be used in your ignition, don't waste coin for an unnecessary master key that can't fit any other locks in the car).
Part# 35114-S9A-A01

Call ahead, they may need to order valet keys since most people want master keys. Order the blanks ahead of time if necessary.

No idea if there would be a fee for cutting them. We don't charge to cut them if you buy them here.
The new ignition key cannot be cut by the VIN of your car though (Honda keeps records of this)
You REALLY want to obtain the VIN from the car this used part came from for your records (if you lose the keys!!) And sometimes it makes cutting fresh keys easier since there is wear on the original keys.
Cutting by code can be better than duplicating a worn key.

Program them all at the same time, fee should be the same regardless of the number of keys.
If the guys have to connect the scanner a second time, there are usually more fees.

HTH
Old 04-19-2012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncut-Remote...ht_2476wt_1226

Well I found these on ebay. I might order one or two and have them programed with the initial one as well. I'm sure these will ship faster than the ignition so I should get them around the same time. Going to attempt taking it out in the morning after researching breakaway bolts tonight.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2004 Civic SI