Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic -Clunk in Front End- How to check upper strut mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shawnmd is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic -Clunk in Front End- How to check upper strut mounts?

As the title mentions, I have a 2002 Honda Civic 2 door, and there is a bad clunk sound coming from the front end whenever I go over a bump. It does sound like the passenger side but I occasionally hear it from the driver side too. I have been underneath the card a few times and the tie rods, balljoints and lower control arm bushings all seem tight and in good repair. However, I do not know how I can check the upper strut mount and bearing, as I have read that this is a common issue. How can I verify if the upper strut mount or bearing is bad?
Old 04-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road
Re: 2002 Civic -Clunk in Front End- How to check upper strut mounts?

See if you can replicate the sound with the hood open and pushing down hard on the rad support on the passenger side. Do you hear any squeaks or groans from the mount when the wheel is turned from side to side?

There really is no way to tell apart from taking the strut apart and looking at it.

I would suspect the sway bar links first though. If you can easily swivel them from side to side then rest assured they're clunking against the control arm when you drive.

I had clunks too and I narrowed it down to the sway bar links. They looked good so I didn't think they would need replacing. Until I disconnected them entirely and the clunking immediately stopped. Problem solved.

Also check the rubber bump stops on the struts. If you can grab them and easily slide them up and down on the strut, then they're probably clunking. The bump stops are the rubber accordian like sleeves on the shiny strut rod.

Next check for spider cracks in the front control arm bushings. If you see any, the bushings are probably allowing play for the control arm to clunk.

Lastly check engine mounts. Grab the top of the motor with both hands on the valve cover (not the plastic part) and use your full weight to lean on the motor and see if you can rock it back and forth. If you hear clunks it's one of the mounts.
Old 04-30-2012
Registered!!

shawnmd is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried to replicate the issue by pushing on the front of car, rocking motor back and forth etc. but can't hear it at all. I checked everything and it all seems tight. The front lower control arm bushing does have spider cracks, and can be pry'ed up and down very easily, but it doesn't seem to be hitting the frame.
Old 05-04-2012
Registered!!

CIVIC05EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shawnmd
As the title mentions, I have a 2002 Honda Civic 2 door, and there is a bad clunk sound coming from the front end whenever I go over a bump. It does sound like the passenger side but I occasionally hear it from the driver side too. I have been underneath the card a few times and the tie rods, balljoints and lower control arm bushings all seem tight and in good repair. However, I do not know how I can check the upper strut mount and bearing, as I have read that this is a common issue. How can I verify if the upper strut mount or bearing is bad?
How to figure our if it was engine mount?
I'm getting that clunk sound in slow speeds, when i pull over into shopping complex and looking for a parking spot, hear that noise "CLUNK"... i'm not turning yet, hear it in straight driving...
Same thing happens when trying to get back on the road, slow speeds, i think the car is getting ready to change the gears (AT) just then it comes "clunk" .... not always, but quite often to worry
Not getting this sound when turning the wheels, cv boots appear (looked) to be good ...
please help me... don't want to get in to dealer to pay a whole lot $$...