Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Windows are broken

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flomasta100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Windows are broken

Hey guys I hope you can help me. I looked in some of the other threads and didn't see anything on this, hopefully I didn't miss it.

About 6 months ago my driver's side window broke and then a week later the other one did. I took the door panel off and found what the problem was. I'm sure most of you know what it looks like in there. The window sits in a mount thing and the mount slides up and down a track. There is a cable that attaches to the top and the bottom that pull the window up or down. There is a small metal ball attached to both ends so that it catches in that little mount. The cable goes into the motor and the motor turns it.

To me it looks like the metal ball on the top side has popped off. The cable is really loose. The motor still sounds like it runs fine so I think they are ok. My question is can you buy new cables and install them back into the motor or could I tie a knot in the end that has no metal ball? There may not be enough slack to do that. I really don't want to have to pay someone to do it or pay to replace my motor and everything. Right now I have pieces of wood holding them up.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also is this a common problem?

Thanks!
Mitchell
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Windows are broken

Its probably best to buy a whole new regulator. I am pretty sure you can find them without the motor and just use your old motor.
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flomasta100
The window sits in a mount thing and the mount slides up and down a track. There is a cable that attaches to the top and the bottom that pull the window up or down. There is a small metal ball attached to both ends so that it catches in that little mount. The cable goes into the motor and the motor turns it.

To me it looks like the metal ball on the top side has popped off. The cable is really loose. The motor still sounds like it runs fine so I think they are ok. My question is can you buy new cables and install them back into the motor or could I tie a knot in the end that has no metal ball? There may not be enough slack to do that.
If you managed to pull off the door panel and figure out how all this works, I bet you'll be able to successfully fix this yourself.

+1 on replacing the whole regulator. However, when I recently took my windows apart for cleaning, etc (they were running very sloooowly), I wasn't able to see a way to separate the motor from the regulator (the part the window rides up & down on, including cables).

I know there are lots of used parts on eBay (you takes your chances), but you can get new OEM parts pretty reasonably priced online at Majestic (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp). If you know your VIN number, it's pretty easy to find the right part on their website.

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

I have been looking at pricing and I could get a regulator with the motor for both sides for $100. The cheapest regulators I have found are at this site for $10 a piece:

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...0-%20Clearance

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...a-_Driver_Side

I'm not sure of those links are going to work but what do y'all think about that website? Will the quality be ok? Also will I need anything else? I've seen window regulator clips, tape, and rivets.

Does anyone know how to take the regulator off of the motor?

Thanks again!
Old 02-29-2012
Registered!!

I ordered one for each side and they both have motors. The links I posted did not fit my car. I watched some videos on how to do it, so I should be set. This cost me $65 and the mechanic told me it would cost around $300.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-09-2012
Registered!!

Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Bumping this up... just wondered if the OP took this on and how it went.