Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Occasionally Sputters at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SkyhawkCaptain is an unknown quantity at this point
Occasionally Sputters at Idle

2001 Civic Sedan EX 5spd 130k miles

Car was running find back in June, one night it started to shake and cough violently right after start up. Seemed to happen when parked facing downhill on a slight incline. Mechanic said he found water in the tank, flushed the tank and cleaned the injectors.

Now the car will randomly sputter and occasionally die when coming to a stop. A few times it had cut out when coming off the highway or making a turn. If you tap the gas it will rev up and then settle back down and be good. Today on the way to work it started to cough and shake bad at the light (worse than usual), tapped the gas but it died on me. Never get a CEL, but the interval between maintenance periods is up and the maint reqd light blinks.

I've been told IACV needs to be cleaned, may need new plugs, even that the timing belt may need to be changed. Have been to three different mechanics and still have the same issue. This is my DD and I have a 60m commute so I can't afford for it to die on me.

Would anyone by chance have any suggestions? I do not consider myself to be a mechanic by any stretch of the definition but I can find my way around the engine bay alright.

I appreciate anyone that responds to this!

Last edited by SkyhawkCaptain; 03-09-2012 at 08:09 PM.