Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My Cruise Control isnt working HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TouringCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
My Cruise Control isnt working HELP

Ok so i just recently purchased a 2001 Honda Civic Sedan 1.7L SOHC Engine non-V-tec , automatic Transmission (i know whats the point,but i got a good deal on it, anyway).

I was on the highway yesterday and figured it was a good time to test out the cruise control. Maybe i didnt do it right but heres the steps i took.

1) Pushed the Cruise Control Button on the left side of the steering wheel.
2) Accelerated to the desired speed.
3) Pushed the Set button located on the steering wheel

After this the speed just kept going down no matter how many times i pressed the set button.

So i read around the forum and saw a thread on fixing the CC, something to do with soldering a resister on the board but that was only if you installed LEDs on the tails which i haven't.

Is there an easy fix for this or am i just doing it wrong?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Cruise Control isnt working HELP

Try stick your foot under the brake pedal and lift up on the brake pedal with your foot and work the cruise.
I have seen the brake switch be bad, and the cruise would only work if you hold the pedal up.

Otherwise, break out a voltmeter and a service manual.
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Try stick your foot under the brake pedal and lift up on the brake pedal with your foot and work the cruise.
I have seen the brake switch be bad, and the cruise would only work if you hold the pedal up.

Otherwise, break out a voltmeter and a service manual.
thanks ezone ill try it
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

check fuses too I know there is something that has to do with the cruise in the under dash fuse box...There is also a button on the side of the dash, between the steering wheel and the door (it says "cruise")
Old 02-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You will get a "Cruise Control" on the dash if its working as well. Just figured I would let you know so its easier for you to test instead of waiting to see if it works as you do 40 on the highway lol.
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
You will get a "Cruise Control" on the dash if its working as well. Just figured I would let you know so its easier for you to test instead of waiting to see if it works as you do 40 on the highway lol.
well i pressed the button the says "cruise" and a green indicator on the dash said "cruise Control" meaning it is activated however once i set the speed it doesn't work, i also tried the break peddle still nothing i will check the fuse box again.
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

If you see the green light, it probably isn't a fuse (but check any way)....Open your hood. If you are facing the car to your left up on the fire wall is a box with a cable coming out of it (that is your cruise control box) Make sure that cable is going to your Throttle body....and that it is mounted correctly...On the back of your throttle body, there should be cables, one is throttle, the other is your CC...
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I believe if the green "cruise" text is coming on on the dash then its not the fuse.

Perhaps your cruise control button on the steering wheel is disconnected or the button is broken.

Edit: it wouldnt be disconnected if your able to get the cruise. Perhaps just that side of the swicth is bad.

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 02-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

those are both good suggestions thanks for the tips guys ill check all that this weekend
Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

djoxide is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I've got the same issue on my 02 LX, cruise light BUTTON comes on and dash lights up with CRUISE CONTROL green light, but I don't feel it pull the accelerator when I release it and it just decelerates and actually drops gears (up to 6k rpm on a downshift and kinda scared me), do you have that happening to you too? If I leave it on it drops gears and then I have to turn off whole system.

I'm doubting that it's a matter of the actuator/servo that does the actual throttle cable controlling, but rather the A3 "Auto Cruise Module" that is located on the left side under the steering wheel...any info?
Old 12-09-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You can try jumping the switch to be sure, but if you go to push the cruise buttons on your steering wheel and the indicator light illuminates, I'd be willing to bet that the cruise on/off button (to which you are referring) is working just fine.
Old 12-17-2014
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear nizzles,

If you have LED tails then the cruise won't work right until you solder a resister up in that bitch.

Peace.
Old 03-14-2015
Registered!!

I just ran a check through my system, if the right side switch lights up you're good there, if the dash light comes on at the speed you want it's not the brake pedal switch, and if your throttle cable is properly connected to the servo and tight then it has to be a problem with the servo/regulator itself, clearly the little motor in there fails and cannot pull on the throttle to control your speed, it definitely wont be a relay/fuse/pedal failure!

Can get a servo for around 50$ online!
Old 03-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

You might check the cruise and throttle cables to be sure that they are snug not sagging, they stretch over time.
Old 03-27-2015
Registered!!

Ripped a new servo/actuator from a scrapped car at the junk yard, works like a charm!
Old 11-23-2017
Registered!!

DavidKing is an unknown quantity at this point

check cable has not come loose at the throttle plate.

When you engage the cruise control on steering wheel, do you hear a clicking noise?

If yes, then the cable has come off. It's a simple fix, takes about 30 seconds or less. Cable may have come off, if mounts were removed.
Old 03-14-2018
Registered!!

SpeedReeeser516 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2004 started doing this exact thing yesterday. The crazy downshifting had me thinking the computer was going/shot. I see now that only happens when the computer sees the cruise as on, I'm assuming it downshifts to try to regain the lost speed/rpm's since it thinks it is accelerating. The only difference is my cruise off/on light does not light up, the cruise control indicator on the instrument panel does come on, so I'm guessing the on/off light is just burnt out and I hadn't noticed it before now. After reading this I'm going to order a servo (used) and hope it resolves the problem. Doesn't seem to be a very common problem, glad it happened enough to find some info on it.

Last edited by SpeedReeeser516; 03-14-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2018
Registered!!

SpeedReeeser516 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2004 started doing this exact thing yesterday. The crazy downshifting had me thinking the computer was going/shot. I see now that only happens when the computer sees the cruise as on, I'm assuming it downshifts to try to regain the lost speed/rpm's since it thinks it is accelerating. The only difference is my cruise off/on light does not light up, the cruise control indicator on the instrument panel does come on, so I'm guessing the on/off light is just burnt out and I hadn't noticed it before now. After reading this I'm going to order a servo (used) and hope it resolves the problem. Doesn't seem to be a very common problem, glad it happened enough to find some info on it.
Old 10-21-2022
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cali2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point

SOLVED!!!!!!!!

It was the little rubber bumper that sits on the brake pedal. It worked well enough to keep the brake lights off, but there was an indentation in it. The plunger on the brake sensor seemed to be pressed but probably needed a tiny bit more pressure.

Basically, I temporarily taped a dime to the rubber bumper on the brake pedal and the cruise control works again!
The following users liked this post:
xRiCeBoYx (10-21-2022)