Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine tick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toucansam333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine tick?

I have a tick/tap sound which is hard to know where it is coming from due to only happening when the engine is under a load (in gear accelerating). Sounds like it probably is a lifter but not a 100% sure. It only happens when it is cold out and goes away completely when the car warms up. I am used to GM engines which are known to have lots of lifter noise when cold but they all do it when just idling as well which the Honda is not. I have a feeling i may have to check the clearance on them but just did the timing belt and don't want to have to go back in there. Wondering if any of you know if this is common on these engines? Thanks
Old 02-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Engine tick?

It's fairly common to tick when cold. I don't adjust the valve lash until it ticks when warm and idling. Usually between 40-60K miles. Honda recommends 100K but, very rarely do they last that long before starting to tick.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

How many miles are you at? Check your oil, you may need to adjust the valves like you already know.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toucansam333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links and info! It has 80k and i bought it from a 85 year old man with perfect records. It had motocraft oil its' whole life and i'm running mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic now. Well i will take your advice Lazlong and wait till the noise becomes prevalant when warm. My beat up GSX-R does the same now that is has 35k so i suppose it's normal; just never had a car make it that noticeable.