Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

MPG issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yanksrox2 is an unknown quantity at this point
MPG issue?

I drive an automatic 2004 honda civic coupe ex and i am not a mechanical person at all. well i always drive city and always average 23-25 mpg. i see people who seem to get like mid 30 and like 400+ miles on a tank. i get like 250 if im lucky. Is this normal or do i have a problem.
Old 01-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MPG issue?

Originally Posted by Yanksrox2
Is this normal or do i have a problem.
Could be either.

Depends on fuel.
Depends on weather.
Depends on how you drive.
Depends on the condition of the car.

Any time the engine is running and you aren't moving, your calculated mileage goes DOWN.

The window sticker says "Your mileage may vary" for a reason.

I can make my Civic get 15 if I really try, and I have made it get 50 on the highway. Those are extremes though, and not my normal driving habits.
Old 01-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

23-25 is perfectly normal for city driving. I average 33-37 ALL highway. I can do better but I have a lead foot. ^I'd love to see my civic get 50. I'm running a trial right now going to speed limit to see what I get, I bet you I won't ever see much higher than 42. I don't understand how people claim to get 50mpg unless the car is completly gutted and a **** ton lighter than stock. Enlighten me to your secrets lol.
Old 01-29-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. That city MPG seems about right. That's where hybrids shine. Ezone made some very good points. If you're romping on the car, don't expect phenomenal numbers by any means. Also take into consideration your tire pressure. My numbers jumped when I actually put in the right amount of air compared to my previous work week.
Old 01-29-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I don't understand how people claim to get 50mpg unless the car is completly gutted and a **** ton lighter than stock. Enlighten me to your secrets lol.
My sister lives an hour away from me, so I make this drive on a semi regular basis. About 50 miles of the trip each way is highway.
Bone stock '12 Civic LX, plus some extra floormats for weight LOL.
Tires somewhere around 38-40 PSI (I never let the air out when I did the PDI).
Top off the tank on the outside edge of town.
Hit the highway immediately upon exiting the gas station driveway.
Rock steady 55 MPH, no faster.
52.3 showed on the little mileage meter on one trip.
As soon as I hit traffic or slow down for a town, it drops like a rock.

I'd love to see how far I could get on a tank if I could do this all the time.

Real highway speeds of 70-75, about 37.x MPG.
Old 01-29-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^I'm in the midst of trying this now so Ill see what I get. I have a feeling my 05 wont do as well as your 12 though.
Old 01-29-2012

City mileage has dropped from almost 28ish to 25ish since the weather got cold, and may drop even more if it gets any colder. My daily work commute is only 5.6 miles each way if I don't take any side trips. I've been getting about 280-300 per tank before the idiot light comes on.
Old 01-30-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Nice... I'm doing about.. 100 miles per day in my civic. Averaging around ... I'd say 330 miles per tank. I work with kilometers, so I drive 160kms per day and get 520ish kms per tank before the light comes on.. Those are real time numbers, the miles/gallons was just a guess.
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

05 Civic LX

My habits vary, but I can expect a tank of fuel to take me anywhere between 400-475 mi. before my light comes on.

A lot of city driving for the post office, taking overnights and split routes out to carriers. Not too much freeway driving since it's dealing with deliveries within certain zip codes, so I hit all the stop signs, red lights, traffic, etc. That tank goes about 420 mil. Weight is not too heavy most of the time.

Other times I carry a route myself. Stop and go driving between each mailbox, and that route averages 30-35 miles. I'm out there about 6-8 hrs depending on the load. The starting weight is pretty heavy, as that's mail for the entire route, packages, etc. My light turned on today on my way home, measured just over 400 mi.

Driving highway to the rural station, about 22 miles both ways, but only using my car for highway travel to get there if they're giving me a vehicle, I hit upwards of 475 to 500. I'm using a manual transmission, highway speeds are about 60-70 depending on traffic. Usually there's not much else in the car besides some tools/tire, maybe 30 lbs besides me in the car.
Old 02-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

"I'm using a manual transmission"

That is key, on any vehicle. That alone is usually good for a mpg or two. Auto trans have more parasitic loss. I average 100 miles a day. Have an 01 ex w/ a BMXA, am not easy on it by any means, like romp on it daily to get up to highway speeds when getting on the highway etc. (it is a Civic, I don't want to get ran over in rush hour!, plus I'm a power junky too, 130 hp isn't much, but its still fun!). I used to get 29 mpg. Respectable. That was on 5 20 dino. I am not a oil guru and don't sling synthetics on anyone, but the last change NAPA had synthetic oil on sale for close to the same price as dino, (Napa's house brand is made by Ashland Oil Co., the same as Valvoline), at 4 qts it made only a couple dollars difference so I put it in the last change. It has been 1500 miles, and like 5 tanks of fuel and I have consistently gotten 32-34 mpg since. I am not one to push that you have to have 20 dollar a quart oil in your daily driver, but that was less than 4 dollars per quart. At 4 bucks a gallon a few more miles per tank adds up. 100 dollar oil changes don't pay off, but that will....

Synthetics are a part of life in turbo apps, racing apps etc. Never been sold on them for daily drivers until now, but they do work.
Old 02-25-2012
Gangsta Sexy

FordSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I turn about 42-44 MPG on mine, but i drive about sixty, and never take off from stops fast, and drive all highway.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

POQbum can only hope to improve

05 Civic LX too, but I have an auto tranny. I get about the same mileage, and city driving is sometimes better than interstate as long as I don't push too hard on the gas.

My overall average for city/hwy is 38-42, but I've gotten as high as 48 before on a 80 mile highway trip.

Also my car is a coupe, so that probably affects a lot of mileage as well.
Old 02-25-2012
Whachya lookin at?

^ Where are you located? Are you using the US MPG calculation or the UK one? The UK one always comes out much higher than the US. That being said, I downloaded an MPG calculator on my phone that was saying i was getting 41+mpg, then I discovered it was a UK one and I was actually only getting 34MPG. That was going no faster than 60 and not revving higher than 3000 RPMS between shifts. In a manual. 36 was the highest I've ever hit, and I absolutely don't see getting any more at this point.

The US calculation is the standard that everyone should be using, however I think a lot of people getting 40+ are using the UK one.
Old 02-25-2012

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I discovered it was a UK one

The US calculation is the standard that everyone should be using, however I think a lot of people getting 40+ are using the UK one.
Do they have shorter miles, or bigger gallons over there? What's the difference?
No, I didn't bother to look it up.
Old 02-25-2012
Whachya lookin at?

UK Gallons are bigger

1 UK gallon = 4.55 liters
1 US gallon = 3.79

So if you use the UK one you will naturally get more MPG
Old 02-25-2012

Oh ok, it's the Imperial Gallon, 5 US quarts?
I thought that was a Canadian thing.

No, I don't have gallon envy.
Old 02-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

It's not just us Canadians that are wonky
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

POQbum can only hope to improve

? I use the trip meter at after filling up, then I drive until I fill up again. I divide the miles by gallons used and that's how I calculate it.

I just did one last night and got a lowly 32mpg :/
I've been using the heat at full power a lot lately so that might be why

and I'm in VA, USA
Old 02-26-2012

Originally Posted by POQbum

I just did one last night and got a lowly 32mpg :/

My overall average for city/hwy is 38-42, but I've gotten as high as 48 before on a 80 mile highway trip.
You are crying about this? That's better than my 12.
My best mileage seems to come in at a steady speed 40-55 mph. Anything over or under that drops mileage. A lot.

I've been using the heat at full power a lot lately so that might be why
Running the heat has nothing to do with mileage.
Running the defrost CAN, since the AC is enabled to operate if conditions allow it.
Running the AC is an extra load on the engine.