Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Key Won't Turn in '04 VP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaxwellT is an unknown quantity at this point
Key Won't Turn in '04 VP

The drivers side door key will not turn on my 2004 Civic VP. I can put it in ok but it will not turn. I can operate the manual lock from inside the car. Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Key Won't Turn in '04 VP

replace the whole door latch assembly. about $50 from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com its a very common problem and only seems to happen to the driver side. if you do not have power locks, the part is even cheaper (without the actuator motor). you will not need new keys, the part only replaces the lock rods and the latch mechanism.
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaxwellT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
replace the whole door latch assembly. about $50 from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com its a very common problem and only seems to happen to the driver side. if you do not have power locks, the part is even cheaper (without the actuator motor). you will not need new keys, the part only replaces the lock rods and the latch mechanism.
Thanks. I do not have power locks. Do you have any basic instructions that I could follow?
Old 11-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it is super easy. remove the door panel cover, there is a diy here i will look for (if you have manual windows, you need that handle popper tool to get the roller off). then with the panel off, you will see the latch inside towards the edge of the door. the latch is visible from outside the metal door frame where it locks into the hook when closing the door. there are some large screws holding it so remove those, then the assembly should be loose. the last part is disconnecting all the metal lock rods from the old assembly so you can pull it out. just remove it so it looks like the new part you have. i think the new part comes with some of the lock rods already on it. pull out the old part and swap in the new one. reconnect the lock rods and put the screws back. check to be sure the door closes properly and the key and lock work. then put the panel back on. its about a 15 min job and very easy with a screwdriver and few other tools.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...l-removal.html