DIY: sedan door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow DIY: sedan door panel removal

Here it is, as requested. This is for the front door, but all four should be the same. Only difference is an extra plug for the door lock switch.

1) Carefully stick a flat screwdriver in the top of the plastic rectangle cover and pop it off. There are two screws behind that. Take them off.

2) The handle is connected to a latch that opens the door. You have to pivot the brown plastic piece to the right so that the latch can be lifted out of the hole. Now you can pull out the door handle. The drivers side only will have another plug that you take off for the power lock switch.

3) Take a screwdriver to the spot shown and try to pry off the plastic cover on the power window switch.

4) Once the plastic piece pops off, you need to look for two screws a few inches inside. They are not on the outside, and it's too dark to see in the pics. They are recessed into the holes. Unplug the window switch in green as well. May take a screwdriver to push in the tabs and remove it.

5) Remove the tweeter panel by pulling it out from the top of the pod.

So now you've removed the door handle, the two screws holding the window switches, and the tweeter pod. The only thing holding the panel on are plastic clips (about 9 of them) around the edge of the panel. You can use a screwdriver and try to pry it off, or use your hands. The first time it's really tough to pull, but it will come out eventually. Just go all around the borders until the door panel feels loose. Now you grasp it from the bottom and by the handle and pull up.

Be careful when pulling the panel up, since you need to slide it up past the actual door lock. Once the panel is off, the door lock will fall down. Just pivot back up and stick it through the hole when putting everything back in. That's it! Now for the actual speaker install, you're on your own.

Last edited by gearbox; 01-10-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: rehosted pics 7/6/2010
Old 04-10-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
Nice Diy! This should be helpful for sedan owners who want to replace thier mirrors, or speakers.
Old 04-10-2004
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 04-10-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
tweeter pods? where can i get dem bitches? lol
Old 04-10-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, that's just the stock panel with surface mounted infinity tweeter. It not custom or anything.
Old 04-10-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
ohhh nice. i'm assuming that cutting/drilling was involved.
Old 04-10-2004
Premium Member

Yeah, those circular mounts had a single hole to be drilled in the back (not visible after install). The mounts were actually silver, but I painted them flat black to match the panels.
Old 04-10-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
nice!
Old 04-11-2004
Registered!!

draganjr is an unknown quantity at this point
gearbox - thank you but i already installed the speakers and the tweeters! finally got it! thank you!
Old 05-16-2004
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
would the tweeter pods fit for the sedans? since they are made for the coupes? cuz i have a ex sedan and will be putting in 1" crystal audio tweeters in this week. but if those pods dont fit on the sedan then i might just drill a hole in there.
Old 05-16-2004
Premium Member

Coupe tweeter pods might fit, but the sedans have a power mirror wire plug in the back. So the tweeters won't fit in the hole. Best bet is just do what I did and surface mount the tweets on the sedan panel.
Old 05-17-2004
JDM wannabe

nme3 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice work
Old 08-30-2004
Registered!!

robmarch is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread should be in the DIY->Audio section also!

Even better, maybe add a post in the ICE/Audio forum like "Civic Audio Install - look here first" that links to the sedan and coupe door installs, the sedan and coupe center console installs and rear deck installs. That would be really helpful.

ps...I broke both sail panels on an EX sedan doing an install recently on a friend's civic. Even after learning my lesson on the passenger side, the plastic attachment that holds the panel clip broke at the base of the sail panel when pulling it off.

Thanks for making the DIY's they helped me out a lot, even if they could be easier to find
Old 03-15-2005
Registered!!

Pitch_BlacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Excellent DIY Gearbox. This will really help all sedan owners like me. Thank you!!!!
Old 06-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nmastereal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: sedan door panel removal

pics are down
Old 06-15-2010
Premium Member

yeah it was bound to happen 6 yrs later. i can see if i still have em somewhere in the archives.
Old 06-16-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

Actually, I'd appreciate 'em, too
Old 06-18-2010
Premium Member

sorry guys, cant find the pics anymore
Old 06-18-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
sorry guys, cant find the pics anymore
Well, time to take some new ones, huh?

lol
Old 07-07-2010
Premium Member

found pics from a really old web archive should be uploading shortly
Old 07-07-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
found pics from a really old web archive should be uploading shortly
wicked, I'll be using these this weekend, then!
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

i3oomz is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i got my door panels off... i attached a pic of what my old speaker looks like.... how do i get it out? it kidn of looks like its mounted in there.. and i dont want to break anything.. and what are the colors for positive and negative...? Nevemind i cant figure out how to attach a picture on here.. but i dont know how to get the old speakers out to put the new ones in
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member

front speakers are clipped in i believe, and you will most likely break the brittle plastic case pulling it off. not a problem if youre putting different speakers anyway. and depending on the speaker, you will need a spacer to move the speaker out a bit. otherwise the window will hit the back of the speaker when rolling it down. theres another thread with the wires on it i posted for someone.

speaker wires

driver door + (grn/blk)
driver door - (lt grn)
driver rear speaker + (blu/wht)
driver rear speaker - (blu/blk)
passenger rear speaker + (pnk)
passenger rear speaker - (blu/yel)
passenger door + (grn/yel)
passenger door - (gry/red)