Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

riiiiiiiiip goes the front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semvhu is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy riiiiiiiiip goes the front bumper

I managed to pull up too far this morning over a curb in the parking lot where I work. I backed up thinking it wasn't a big deal when I heard crunch crunch crunch pop. I got out and checked it and the left side of the front bumper had been pulled away from the car. I could see no physical damage on the outside but I was unable to push it properly back on completely. It's hanging out maybe 2 inches too far forward on the left front corner and appears to have been pulled away from the fasteners maybe to the middle of the bumper.

Assuming no one is liable for such a thing other than myself (I'm pretty sure that's the case), what possible damage and repairs would I be looking at? It's been raining all morning and I can't get out there to examine it well right now so I figured I'd turn to the experts for the moment.

FYI it's a 2005 LX sedan.
Old 06-28-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Re: riiiiiiiiip goes the front bumper

If the 2005 is similar to my 2001 the front bumper comes off fairly easy. Assuming nothing is snapped off and depending on how crafty you are you can remove the bumper and try to straighten everything back out.

I'm not finding the DIY at the moment. . I'll keep searching. It's part of the clearing headlights DIY too, but I can't find that either.

It's been years since I had my bumper off. All I can remember is don't drop it on the concrete and scratch it up. I remember putting my legs between the bumper and the ground so that when it fell it would land on my lap instead of the garage floor.
Old 06-28-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Taking off an 05 bumper is easy. There's about 6-8 screws and about 10 clips under the car. They're the kind of clips you take off with a flat head screw driver. Once all of the clips and screws are off, start by prying on the outside of the bumper, closest to the wheels. Should pop out, then work your way towards the headlights. Always pull outwards and towards yourself, not down or up. You will have to also take off the screws and clips on the top of the grille before pulling it off.

From there you can examine what's broken and not. I'm sure you can pick up some new clips at the dealer to replace broken ones. Just from imagining what you described I'm guessing that it's just come out of place near the headlights but then again I haven't seen any pics.
Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres actually 4 screws total 1 at the top of each wheel well and 1 on the left and right corners under the bumper. And the rest are clips. I think its 4 or 5 under the hood near the grille and the rest are underneeth the car.

Idk how you came up with 6-8 screws Brian :| But anyways this is the way it was on my 05 civ.

If you go to this link scroll down a bit and you will see bumper removal instructions.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/05fogs.pdf
Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

No one should be liable for you not knowing how to park. Anyway if it hanging loose from the corner where its closes to the wheel then you broke a piece where a screw goes in to. For the most part its all held by plastic retainers that break before causing damage to the bumper unlike screws.
Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for most of the responses, guys (asinine responses are unnecessary). I'll crawl under the car tonight and see what I can figure out about it.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

It's not an asinine comment when the first thing you do is look for someone else to blame. The mark of an adult is the ability to take responsibility for one's own actions.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

Some of you read too much into a statement. If I'd been looking for someone else to blame, I'd have been much more elaborate about it. Rather than assume I was liable, I wanted to make sure that was the case. It was, I'm liable, not where I work, no big.

But hey, this is the Internet. Arguing on it and defending yourself yadda yadda yadda.

FYI, I jacked up the car last night after buying a few clips and screws for the bumper just in case. It had pulled out from the top left screw under the wheel well. The lower left screw and the four inner clips were simply not there. I hit a deer a few years ago and had it fixed at a local shop; it would appear they simply did not install the screw and clips. In a way, it was actually a good thing this happened or else I'd have gone a long time without the bumper properly mounted. It was an easy fix and there was no permanent damage except for a few scratches underneath the bumper.
Old 06-29-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to hear it wasn't a big deal.

I didn't even pay attention to the lability comment. I guess I took the liability comment as you assumed it was your fault. I just figured any regular person would know if you hit an inadament object it's their fault.

Last edited by pheaton; 06-29-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

If I've learned anything in this lifetime, it's that I should never assume anything. I got some significant damage to my Grand Prix with a parking curb that had about 4" of rebar sticking out vertically. The place in question paid for the damage due to the defective curb. Yesterday's incident was a lot different in that it was a normal curb so I figured it was my fault. I also figured it never hurts to check.

Apparently stating such a thing in a wave of the hand manner begets much criticism from people online. Live and learn.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by semvhu
Some of you read too much into a statement. If I'd been looking for someone else to blame, I'd have been much more elaborate about it. Rather than assume I was liable, I wanted to make sure that was the case. It was, I'm liable, not where I work, no big.

But hey, this is the Internet. Arguing on it and defending yourself yadda yadda yadda.

FYI, I jacked up the car last night after buying a few clips and screws for the bumper just in case. It had pulled out from the top left screw under the wheel well. The lower left screw and the four inner clips were simply not there. I hit a deer a few years ago and had it fixed at a local shop; it would appear they simply did not install the screw and clips. In a way, it was actually a good thing this happened or else I'd have gone a long time without the bumper properly mounted. It was an easy fix and there was no permanent damage except for a few scratches underneath the bumper.
If anything that screwed you even more. If the clips and bolts where on the bumper it wouldn't of flexed and come off the car like it did. The worst damage you would of had is probably rub marks underneeth bumper itself.

Good to hear that you were able to save the bumper tho.