Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Shes giving out! No!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thgenfigi is an unknown quantity at this point
Shes giving out! No!!! Help!

Well just hit 85k on my 04 honda civic ex and all hell broke lose...First off I have a mild shaking/vibration feel coming from the motor it does not get worse at higher RPM'S ad it's never exceeded more then a mild feeling but I have a feeling it's just starting out into a bigger issue. Second I have a rattle noise coming from the drivers side of the engine towards the timing belt maybe a little below it hard to tell %100 does not get worse with driving or rpm increase thinking maybe timing belt tensioner ? Alternator? I'm just freaking out I don't want to lose my engine over that timing belt snapping.

Help?

Last edited by 7thgenfigi; 04-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shes giving out! No!!! Help!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... If your hearing rattling coming from the timing belt area change your timing belt A.S.A.P unless you can 100% sure diagnose it as something else. Don't play with timing belt issues or you may be buying a new engine. The vibration could be something as simple as your front motor mount being shot. 80k miles is when mine started falling apart too. If you change your timing belt now your only doing it 15k early which isnt all that bad.
Old 04-12-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

could also be a broken motor mount so bad that the rubber is gone and youre getting metal contact. i bet for sure the front mount is gone, possibly the other 3 too.
Old 04-12-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

All 4!?
Old 04-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

possibly lol. i didnt say for sure. might be one, might be two.
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

DH757 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar noise happening in my 04 as well.

2 days ago I solved one stubborn sound, I was checking the noise and to my surprise it was my loose pedal faceplates. I adjusted them, turns out they were making noise when i accelerated.

Now I just hear 2 small sounds. One as weird as this may sound comes like a rattle from my seatbelt, the other is a sort of vibration noise from the area where the stereo is. It only happens when I accelerate at a slow RPM.

I now recall, that my local shop mechanic recommended a new timing belt as well.
My car has 87k miles. Most of my parents cars are near 165k to 200k, so from my point of view I consider my car to be young still. Does the middle vibration sound mean I need a new timing belt too?

Hopefully I can break the deal to get my timing belt fixed for around ~$300.
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

7thgenfigi is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill look under the car today and check the motor mounts if it's possible to do I've never done it. I priced the timing belt job at $140 for the parts that includes tensioner ,timing belt,water pump, and camshaft,crankshaft seals. I jusr replaced power steering belt and accessory belt yesterday. Plugs are about 5k miles old....I'll clean the K&N air filter ...Am I missing anything..Maybe the spark plug boots tubes...What ever there called.
Old 04-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

pandora box effect, that is...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...41-had-do.html
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Low miles, but you are over the 7 year time limit with the timing belt.
Old 04-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I wouldnt be afraid to run a timing belt over 7 years... but at 7 years i'd definitely do a very good inspection on it... Also, at this age if you do tackle the belt make sure you do the tensioner and all that good stuff, at least inspect the water pump though I suggest changing that too.
Old 04-14-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Might as well replace the WP since you'll be in there anyways. Good insurance .
Old 04-15-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

It just happen to me two hours ago that I can feel that the engine ran rough when idling. My mileages are 87K now. Usually, when the temp reaches operating temp and I tap gas very lightly and release the pedal, the engine will hesitate. This can reproduced every time.

I am going out to find the spark plugs, probably the NGK IX Iridium as everybody recommended even though some people are against the Iridium. Well I hope once I take my spark plugs out and I will find something wrong about it. Otherwise.. time to trade-in just kiddin'

Last edited by kbook; 04-15-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I bought NGK Iridiums a while back. I flooded my engine and just put in standard NGK platinum plugs. No noticeable difference after I got everything up and running. Just check the condition of the plugs. Don't forget to gap them if you do go about replacing them!