Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My rear-windshield shattered for 3rd time in over a year.

Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobblo is an unknown quantity at this point
My rear-windshield shattered for 3rd time in over a year.

Hello, i am a first time poster. I own a 2005 Civic LX (4 Door). In late fall 2009, i go to my car, open the door, and once i closed the door, i hear a cracking noise to find my rear windshield to be completely shattered; it rained a little bit and was a little cold that day. Around a month ago, it snowed over 10 inches, and when i was clearing off the snow, i find my rear windshield shattered again. Just this past weekend, the temperature got to 50degrees, and i got into my car and found it to shatter once again.

My family has several different cars, and this never happened to one of them. I do not see cracks before the shattering and i do not turn on the defroster before i hear the shattering. Does anyone have any clue why my rear windshield repeatedly shatters and what i can do about it? Thank you.
Old 03-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: My rear-windshield shattered for 3rd time in over a year.

potentially, car have been in an accident?
Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

Yes, i got into into a fender bender back in 07 or 08 and my frontside was hit.
Old 03-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

front side crash, and have been some time before the first crack, so chances of frame being bent are low.
beyond that, don't have much clues, sorry... was not sure if there was a residual tension from bent stuff.
Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

I may have been a little misleading, i got into 2 separate accidents, one where my frontside was hit, and other was my rear. If there was bending, how can i find out how to fix it?
Old 03-01-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i got into a bad rear-end accident and the rear windshield didnt even break and hasnt broken 5 yrs after the accident. if it keeps breaking, i am thinking improper install or the window is being stressed too much due to a defect around the window frame. the glass shop should be able to figure that out.
Old 03-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
if it keeps breaking, i am thinking improper install or the window is being stressed too much due to a defect around the window frame. the glass shop should be able to figure that out.
the thought crossed my mind and could explain the 2nd window going, but a third? That would make me think on maybe a different shop? (in case it was the same shop that did all of them).

bent stuff could still be a possibility depending on how the car was hit from behind (can't imagine an angle that would cause that without messing completely the alignment, though, so low possibility?), but i guess i would check the window installation first, as GB says.
Old 03-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like you have some pissed off neighbours.
Old 03-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
Sounds to me like you have some pissed off neighbours.
bad dog! bad dog! no dinner for you today
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

how do you usually clear off ice and snow from your windshields?
Old 03-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

glass is very strong but if its stressed, any little thing can set it off. ive broken windows with a metal hammer before and usually the first few times of hitting it as hard as i could it wouldnt break. the hammer just bounced off.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

I scrape it off the normal way, with that scraper (dont know the term). I do not think i am particularly rough with my car, if anything i am more careful especially after it breaking the third time.

I am giving a call to the guys who made the most recent fix, hopefully there is some warranty.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

what i find easiest to do when there is ice is pour the coldest temperature water over the glass and it makes it easier. idk how well it would work where your at but here in ca theres not much ice =P