Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What generation transmissions can I swap into my 05'?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about
What generation transmissions can I swap into my 05'?

Need some advice...

I am getting more and more anxious about cracking the transmission open and rebuilding it myself.
I have been weighing other options, including buying a rebuilt transmission. What year civics could I use? Or am I limited to my 2001-05 generation?
Old 02-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: What generation transmissions can I swap into my 05'?

I believe only 01-05 are swappable, the 04-05 seem to have slightly fewer problems but honestly I'd just do a manual swap. Rebuilds never last, even professionally done ones.
Old 02-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. rebuilding it yourself would be cool and all... but... its a HUGE job and you have to be well versed in transmissions to do it. Unfortunatly its not like the power steering pump. If you forget something it takes hours to take it back out
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I believe only 01-05 are swappable, the 04-05 seem to have slightly fewer problems but honestly I'd just do a manual swap. Rebuilds never last, even professionally done ones.
Nods. 7th gen eration is a bastard gen. short of a full K swap a manual swap will be less problematic down the road.
Old 02-23-2011

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys!!

BTW it already is a manual...my 07' coupe was auto an had an untimely date with a tree, cause YOU CANT DOWNSHIFT to slow down, LOL, mother-effing automatics...ANYwho,

Problem is that if I go used...what the hell am I getting?? And they arent cheap either...comparable to buying a rebuild kit and a few gears, aka 5-600 bucks.

And rebuilding...like tbohar said; if I screw it up somehow, its a total PIA...which, having never done one before, there's a great possibility of f#@k ups. But Ive also heard the flip side, that it aint that bad, everything's press on/off, just keep stuff in order...

A rebuilt tranny will run me @ $700 off ebay (oh and like $150 for shipping)...but its of course just a swap and reinstall aka easy. AND already basically brand new.

Im freakin torn guys...On one side im on un-enjoyment. I got all day, every day for who knows how long to wrench on this thing.
The other side is I put it together wrong...what else could get screwed up?

And you guys are sure a.... 98' dx/lx maunal tranny wont fit into mine? cause there cheaper,
Old 02-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

7th gen manual transmissions arent too bad. Your pretty safe to buy a rebuilt.. ORRR>. you can make a DIY on how to rebuild your transmission. I've never personally done it and I thought you were talking about an automatic.

Edit: I have 105k miles on my original manual transmission, and original clutch!

Last edited by BlueEM2; 02-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2011

Thats pretty good mileage tbohar! No grinds of funny noises? And if your on the original clutch, maybe its time for a new one?? I put in an exedy stage 1 about then, feels around the same but of course more grab. I followed Creaker2's DIY.

And yeah, I would TOTALLY document this thang into a DIY! ...IF I do it...

Im just worred if I reinstall something backward or ...upside down? what would I screw up along with it when it gets started?

The only other DIY I have found is THIS one, over on honda/acura.net...

Not sure what an S20 tranny is, or what year a D16Z6 is...or why on earth the guy painted it red LOL.

But more importantly how much different is that one from my year? THAT is the million dollar question!
Old 02-23-2011

Ya see, its great help like that, that makes me do this crazy DIY ****!! Good looks on the link, sdaidoji. But the pics... horrible!!

As you probably inferred, its time now to investigate WHAT exactly for parts im going to need...cause you KNOW when I go to the stealer their gonna rape me on price and tell me in a day or two

So lets begin the poll:

What for parts? Go the 'kit' route? Or individually? Mfg's? Maybe I could put in an LSD...yeah after i drop some LSD an go rob a bank

Last edited by BobDobolina; 02-23-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Nope, my transmission makes no funny noses and the clutch still functions well, no slippeage whatsoever. I generally don't replace parts until its absolutely necessary so I don't plan on pulling it out any time soon. Besides, I'm gonna see if the clutch will last the life of the car ! I don't really wanna say which way to go. If your comfortable doing a rebuild go the kit route, if your not ... get a rebuilt

I'm EXTRA bad because my tranny still has the original fluid in it
Old 02-23-2011

Tbohar, I hear ya on the 'if it aint broke dont fix it' mantra. An that would be awesome if you got like 200k on your factory clutch! BTW, anyone else have that or close to it??

But anyway, im out of work. And 'looking' for work just gets me depressed. LOL

So I wrench on my car! Figure I got the time, thats half the problem with doin a DIY right there...

And the ORIGINAL MTF??
Old 02-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Sdaidoji, we can't link to that site on civicforums, the filter blocks it for a reason so please don't bypass it. Either repost the information here and credit the OP by username or pass on the link by pm.
Old 02-23-2011

wait wait, you dont drive like a granny, do ya?

I drive mine like I stole it, then baby it like I saved my whole life for it
Old 02-23-2011

Sdaidoji, we can't link to that site on civicforums, the filter blocks it for a reason so please don't bypass it. Either repost the information here and credit the OP by username or pass on the link by pm.

whoops, sorry mr mod...i kinda started that one..

DAMMIT!! you took it off??? BACK button where are you!! NOOO! LOL
Old 02-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The link you posted was cool Bob, there are specific issues with the other site and thats why its filtered out. Hopefully you can get that link pm'd to you, unless someone wants to earn some rep and repost the DIY?

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-23-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Oh, yeah, sorry bout that.
Credits for the DIY goes to bomerman19 - he is around here from time to time too.
Uhn, the pics does not appear right...
Originally Posted by bomerman19
Alright we are going today we are going to crack open the Manual trans.

DISCLAIMER : If you do not know how to pull the trans out of your own car then go away this is too big of a job for. This is not a beginner move it is for some one who is mechanically experienced!

If you take apart your transmission then it is all on you! transmissions can be a delicate thing and if you have any doubts don't do it!

Now that we have gotten through the disclaimer lets look at what tools you will need

10mm socket
12mm socket
27mm socket/ or big crescent wrench
1/2 inch drive ratchet
3/8's inch driver ratchet
3/8's drive extensions'
Large needle nose Pliers preferably angled
Large flat head screw driver
Large pry bar
rubber mallet
clean table to work on I prefer 2 saw horses with 2 boards on them that way you can split the boards in the middle cause the main shaft sticks out a bit past the case on the side that does to the clutch.

First put that trans up on the table it should already be drained before you stick it up there.

Now undo the 4 10mm bolts that hold the shifter assembly in. you will probably need to shift the lever over to get to one of the bolts.

now you want to make sure you shift the lever to the neutral position once the 4 bolts are out. to get to the neutral position take the weighted lever and shift it to the middle then the upper lever that is above the weighted lever should be able to move up and down freely. give it a nice tug you might have to get a screw driver and pry it a little to break the seal cause it is supposed to be honda bonded shut but not all of them are.

pull out the shifter

the trans should look like this once the shifter comes out

now get that 27 mm socket or giant wrench and undo the reverse light switch sensor this is also the best and easiest place to fill the trans with fluid for future reference.

Now you want to remove these to bolts they are 12mm but be careful there are 2 shiny metal ***** behind them that you don't want to loose.

now the 2 ***** should be sitting in the whole either tilt the trans to the side and catch them when they fall out or use a small magnet to grab them.

Okay now to get cracking on really trying to get that case open. their are 14 12mm bolts I suggest you get a socket with a little over a foot of extensions to get the bolts on the front side of the trans. also use a 3/8's drive socket cause it is easier to get in to the tight bolts.

start by first cracking the bolts loose and do it in a star pattern the way you would do a 5 lug rim (ie. start with one then go to the farthest one away and then go to the farthest one away from that one)

once they are all cracked start backing them all out.

[img]=http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x24/bomerman19/DCAM0016-1.jpg[/img]

Now get that 1/2 drive ratchet and at the top of the case there is a spot just for it. put the ratchet in and unscrew it.

Once you pull it out it should look like this

we will get right back to that in a second

now grab a pry bar and a big screw driver to pop the case. their are 2 spot on the case to put the bar to pop the case.

here on the front which is one of my favorite spots

and here on the back by the diff

Now the first time the case gets cracked it tends to put up a fight cuase honda bond is the **** and likes to hold like a mother

you just want to break the seal not pull it all the way off you can't do that yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

once the seal is broken go back to that plug you just pulled of a little while earlier with the 1/2 inch drive ratchet look down that hole and you will see a little spring clip. stick the gaint needle nose pliers in there and spread it. I then like to stick a big flat head in to hold the pliers in place while the spring clip is being spread.

now with the clip spread stick a pry bar/giant screw driver in (I like to stick one in on each side) the side of the case and rock them back and forth to get it loose and come up with it once it release from the clip it should come right up and off.

Some times the diff like to stick into the top of the case take the handle of the rubber mallet and stick it in the axle hole and tap the diff it should drop right out.

Horray!!! now the case is off and it should look like this

Now class we move onto removing everything else. start with the 2 10mm bolts that hold on the reverse gear shifter.

this is what the reverse shifter looks like

now the shiny rod that goes through the reverse gear you are going to wnt to pull that out.

just grab it and pull it will slide right out.

here is the reverse gear removed

Now to pull the gear set the best way to go about it is to take both of your hands grab the gear set and shifter forks all together at once and wiggle them while pulling them up if you are still having trouble with this I have found that some times you need to start it off by. sticking in a pry bar under the lowest gear and prying it up a little bit.

like so

[img]https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x24/bomerman19/DCAM0038.jpg
[/img]

when you get it out it should look like this...... try to keep the gear sets together it will be easyier to put back in if you keep them together.

the rest of the case should look like this

Only thing left is the diff just grab it and pull it out if it does not want to come out just flip the case and the diff should fall out if not take the handle of the rubber mallet and tap it from the back side keep one hand on the diff cause it is heavy.

here is the diff out of the case and the empty case.

now if you want to you can pull the magnet out and clean it off. there will always be some metal on the magnet. So don't fret if there is some, everything wear's a little bit especially when it breaks in. DON'T FORGET TO PUT IT BACK IN!

to put it back together basicly just reverse order everything but make sure to put either RTV or honda bond around the edge of the case to seal it other wise it will leak.

Also another Big Note: on putting the whole thing back together that the shop manual forgets to tell you about. The ellusive upper cone ring...

here it is

it goes in the top of the case. but it has to be oriented the right way other wise it will crush when you put the case back on you won't have reverse and then you will have a bunch of broken aluminium floating around the case wich is not pretty.

here is a pic of the inside of the top of the case with the ring sitting in there.

[img]https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x24/bomerman19/DCAM0044-1.jpg
[/img]

and this is how it looks sitting on on top of the main shaft at the proper posititon you want the long part right next to the shifter fork

another note the ring sits on top of the shaft and then is capped by a bearing like so in the picture don't pay attention to were my finger is pointing. Oooh look at the shiny bearing

Thats about it for a tranny tear down I was going to shoot it in video but didn't have any one to hold the camera oh nose.

Anyways this has been brought to you by Bomerman19 Have fun!!!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-23-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Usually i need to host the photos myself to get them to work when I repost a DIY, thanks man, I appreciate the repost I know its a pain in the *** not being able to link to it.
Old 02-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Usually i need to host the photos myself to get them to work when I repost a DIY.
actually, no, i cracked the system. I just need to change from
[ URL=http://i184.photobucket.com/*****.jpg]image
[/URL]

to
[ img]http://i184.photobucket.com/*****.jpg[/img ]

not looking for reps either, Paul deserves it and i get subtracted for posting a forbidden link
And the pics are his, so if he decides to take them out, it's his

thanks man, I appreciate the repost I know its a pain in the *** not being able to link to it.
yeah, things are what they are, no worries (before my time too)

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-23-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Seems simple enough... the disassembly that is
Old 02-23-2011

I agree once you see it in one of these DIY's, it doesn't look so intimidating...

This, on the other hand:

orignially posted by sdaidoji
[/url]
to

Blows my mind! WTF?!
Old 02-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Hahahahaha

Even the hardest stuff becomes easy... when you know how to do it.
Old 02-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobDobolina
I agree once you see it in one of these DIY's, it doesn't look so intimidating...

This, on the other hand:

orignially posted by sdaidoji
[/url]
to

Blows my mind! WTF?!
bwaaahahaha!
just how the program works
when i quoted and copied bomerman's post, it came as an URL, so the pictures does not appear except as links to a new window.
Changing the code to IMG actually displays it but the quotes are in different parts and there is the image description.
Mind you, i am not a computer professional, just that i play with them since there was no hard disk in them