Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

wipers are shaking again

Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
wipers are shaking again

so my wipers are shaking and chattering again. doesnt matter on the amount of rain. its not the blades, ive been through many blades over the years and every once in awhile the wipers would seem to stutter or struggle. It doesnt matter what wiper speed I use it in, but its more obvious at slower and intermittent speeds.

its not the bolts that the arm amounts to on the bottom of the windshield, those are nice and tight.

Im thinking its the assembly under the windshield or it could be the wiper motor. before i would only see wiper shakes if theres a voltage drop, but now it doesnt matter if my car is cranking out 14v, it still shakes.

Ive seen this in other 7th gens but not as apparent as mine, sometimes i can even hear the shaking and tapping.

Any clues or experiences or suggestions? thanks
Old 02-19-2011
Registered!!

floyd107 is on a distinguished road
Re: wipers are shaking again

mine does that too but only when i have on the duel blades. its like the rubber dosent sway back and fourth it gets stuck and it does the chatter thing.
Old 02-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

get a clay bar kit (like claymagic) and do the whole window. wash it again after youre done with water or glass spray to make sure its clean and smooth. go buy some bosch micro edge wipers (the best with carbon lube built in). no more chatter. you can thank me for trying 10+ wipers and window treatments. stay away from rain-x and repel. if you dont want to spend money on claybar, get no-touch glass stripper from napa. clay bar works the best. and try not to use the wipers unless there is water on the window.
Old 02-21-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

The most likely reason is a dirty windshield.
Soak the glass with Stoner window cleaner. Clean the glass with Stoner and newspaper.
Newspaper is the absolute best window cleaner EVER!!!
If those tricks do not work you need to look at your wiper arms.
The wiper arms need to be parallel to the windshield.

If you have done something ignorant like most have done and raised your hood while the wipers were raised the wiper arms were damaged from being wedged against the hood and that is what caused your problem.
I've seen it way too many times on many cars!

Nathan
Old 02-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Newspaper is the absolute best window cleaner EVER!!!
Super-fine steel wool and some Windex works great too. It's also way cheap. Although, you can't use them on tint.
Old 03-14-2011
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about

alright, got some rain recently so i had a chance to use my wipers in the rain for over an hour. I used stoner invisible glass cleaner. It dramatically improve the stutter for about 45 mins. but after that, its back to shaking. Im thinking it could be my windshield. on a sunny day it looks dirty even when the glass is clean. My windshield has a lot of damage from driving through heavy wind and sand of the CA central valley. Maybe all the little tiny pits (1000+) create alot of friction for the wipers. any other ideas? thanks.