Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My 1.7 sounds like a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
qtwre is an unknown quantity at this point
My 1.7 sounds like a diesel

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2001 Acura 1.7 EL (Civic EX equivalent) yesterday and this is my first visit. Hello.

The car is in really great shape except for an odd sound from the engine. I've googled the best I can but I can't find a good answer. I just made a recording I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folks could watch and chime in on. (Hopefully you can hear it well enough.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urttjmTwMj8

I've noticed when I first start to drive after starting the car, it won't always make the noise for the first couple thousand RPM of first gear but then it sort of 'clicks' on and remains audible from then on. Also, the volume of the noise is dependent upon engine load and rpm. It's very difficult to hear if at all while cruising in 4th.

I've read this could be valve chatter or something with the rods or a timing belt tensioner. Please tell me it's a fan rubbing or something simple to fix.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by qtwre; 11-15-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 11-15-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My 1.7 sounds like a diesel

maybe have the valve clearance adjusted. should be done every 100k miles or so or if it gets noisy.
Old 11-15-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

thats a private video
Old 11-15-2010
Registered!!

Sorry, should be fixed. I suspect it isn't the valves unless they can become very loud. It's more than a light ticking. Hopefully the video will illustrate.

One other thing. This sound doesn't happen at idle.

Last edited by qtwre; 11-15-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

To begin with, if your not sure how well the previous owner maintained the car, go ahead and do all the routine maintenance. Fluid flushes, spark plugs, EGR valve clean out, change the 02 sensor, change the air filters and do a valve clearance, if you do it all yourself it will only be a couple hundred dollars. There are DIYs for everything on this site.

The video sounds like a vacuum leak.
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

I brought it to a mechanic today and he thinks it's the transmission. He was listening with a stethoscope and it seems to be coming from the differential area. Bad luck. It still shifts very smoothly though. I hope he's wrong.
Old 11-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Umm... have you checked for exhaust leaks?
Old 11-18-2010
Registered!!

Well the mechanic did. Like I said, he listened around with a stethoscope. This doesn't seem to be a "oh, it's just this" situation. I think I might take it to the local Honda dealer since they may have seen my problem before.
Old 11-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Strange..

I've never heard of a transmission that shifts very smoothly, while simultaneously making your car sound like a diesel. My moneys still on a vacuum leak.
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

I took it to another mechanic who deals with many Hondas and within 5 seconds of driving it he knew it was the transmission. More specifically, the bearings. He says he's dealt with this problem a couple times before and has repaired the problem with a kit of new bearings. Apparently at this point the sound is really just an annoyance, but I was told it will get louder with time and eventually something will break.

Unfortunately for me, it isn't cheap to do work on a transmission. I may keep my eyes peeled for a used one over the winter.

For those who may google this problem in the future, I would also describe the sound as a baseball card in bicycle spokes, but obviously more mechanical.
Old 11-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that its such an expensive repair Hopefully you can find a used transmission for a good price.