Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

passenger power window is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
passenger power window is slipping

whenever i roll down the front passenger side window from any position, the glass free-falls quickly about an inch before rolling down normally. does this sound like the regulator starting to go? maybe too much play in the wires? other than that it rolls fine like normal. just that first second feels like the window is detatched from the mechanism or something and falls before being pulled down.
Old 11-13-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: passenger power window is slipping

You try pulling the door panel off and physically watching what goes on?
Old 11-14-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You might try applying white grease to the outside face of the metal track the plastic slide rides up/down in. Also apply it to the exposed cable anywhere possible. And make sure your top & bottom window tracks are clean.
Old 11-14-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it is hard to tell, it looks the same as watching it with the panel on. the regulator that bolts to the window glass is secure, i think its just slop in the cable assembly.so im just preparing for more $$ to throw away for a new one when it breaks. and my tire has a small nail hole in it too, 3rd tire this year. thats what happens with cheap junk tires i guess. i pulled it out and it didnt leak overnight so i might be okay leaving it alone. i need new tires so bad.

the window stuff is all clean, i lube it every few months both the inside and outside tracks. window rolls up/down very fast like new. just skips for a second when rolling down.
Old 11-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul79UF is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure specifically about the Civic, but I've replaced the power window motors and regulators on other cars multiple times.

That sounds like one or more of the regulator's cables isn't tight due to the plastic pieces they run over/around/under being ground down or broken off over time.

You might want to just pull off the panel, and the plastic sheet behind it to see what's happening.

They have decent generic window motor/regulator assemblies on eBay. They cost about $40-50 for our GM car.