Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Help! Bent Valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C_Householder is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Need Help! Bent Valves

I have a 2002 Civic EX, I had the timing belt replaced for maintenence, and now the car has died. All of the valves are bent and the timing is a quarter of a turn off. The mechanic that changed the timing belt gave me some story on over-revving, but that did'nt happen.3 questions:

1. Was the belt installed correctly? it happened like 1000 miles ago

2. what could it be if not?

3. Is the mechanic at fault?
Old 08-17-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: Need Help! Bent Valves

Sounds like your mechanic didnt know what he was doing there. And what was the story about over revving that he gave you.
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

he said that if i was speeding, and drooped into a lower gear it would over rev and bend them all....i drive slow and that didnt happen....think hes trying to cover it up...why would it take so long to die....
Old 08-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the belt could simply not been tensioned enough and IF that was the case, the belt could have simply skipped some of the teeth and valves say "pleasure to finally meet you" to the pistons.
Did you notice anything at all strange in your car during the last 1000 miles?
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

every now and then it would kinda "shiver in neutral" nothing major though, a little vibration
Old 08-17-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the belt could simply not been tensioned enough and IF that was the case, the belt could have simply skipped some of the teeth and valves say "pleasure to finally meet you" to the pistons.
Did you notice anything at all strange in your car during the last 1000 miles?
Lol good one, thats good enough for a signature.
Old 08-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Lol good one, thats good enough for a signature.
You shoulda seen a cartoon where a piston is skipping and saying "a kiss! a kiss!" after a valve running desperately from it...
For the OP, I guess you could check the belt and see if the teeth are damaged or have marks that could be from them skipping the camgear.
Your description could be some loss of power? if so, it could be that engine did not have power enough, which could mean off the timing.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Bent valves from over revving? Not likely! Sounds like a shady mechanic. He screwed up and doesn't want to pay for it.

First off your car has a rev limiter. Second, over revving would not cause the timing belt to skip. That mechanic sounds like a shady *******!
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

earnestster is an unknown quantity at this point

Your mechanic screwed up by setting the job up wrong in the first place and putting it on the wrong tooth or by getting the tensioner wrong.

If you have a small claims tribunal or similar body in your area make him pay for it.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

update! I'm sure the tension was off, or it wasn't set right, and that caused the slip....but trying to start it after it died may have bent the valves....been doing some research....would they still be liable? i could see them squirming out because i tried to start it...appreciate the help, and im working on that cartoon!!!!
Old 08-18-2010
Low and slow!

You are probably going to have rebuild your motor. Hopefully the pistons are still good so you wont have to worry bout that. You definitely need new valves and I would get that mechanic to pay for it since he was the one that did not tighten the tensioner good enough and made this happen.