Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

honda crap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instalher is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face honda crap.

hey gang just wondering about this.. i have been on this web page now for a while now and noticed that our cars ,for the most part, suck.. does anyone have anything good to say about the 7th gen civic..
also on a lighter note our cars made the top ten list of worst cars to buy.. this is a first for honda ever on any car!!! whooot!! whoot!! horray for us...
i will start.. i have 300,000 km on my civic and have replaced everything on it from bumper to bumper with the exception of the motor... so ya the motor is bullet proof!! there your turn.
Old 07-27-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: honda crap.

I still made 35MPG average while boosted.. and even though I'm not boosted anymore, it's still fun to drive
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Can still get 30mpg with short gears. Almost 200K. Replaced ALL the suspension, switch on top of steering column (caught fire while I was 900 miles from home), cat converter, radiator fan, driver's window motor, 1 light in gauge cluster, door checks, airbox (stupid stripped screws. lol.), and 1 fender when some a**hole backed into me. OK, you got me beat, I only replaced half the car.

Last edited by lazlong; 07-27-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

The Turtle is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a fun car to drive on the track... handles well. Just that the 100bhp could do with some help... improve the suspension, and that 100bhp would scare cars twice the power on a track with lots of turns... not that it overtakes, it just keeps up or even pass at the corners because it handles so well, and improved brakes make it near supercar class on approach, braking, and turning...

in dead stock trim, the brakes need aftermarket pads, hoses, and 4/600 brake fluids to bring them to life... 0-800 degrees project miu pads works wonders here for the 7 Gen...

I know people who traded up... to 400+ horses regret, and miss the 7th Gen on track...
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

I've got a pretty unique 7th gen, so the uniqueness factor somewhat offsets the fact that there's little/no aftermarket support.

Originally Posted by instalher
also on a lighter note our cars made the top ten list of worst cars to buy.. this is a first for honda ever on any car!!! whooot!! whoot!! horray for us...
What list are you talking about? Source?

Originally Posted by The Turtle
This is a fun car to drive on the track...
welcome to civicforums!
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

Smile Re: honda crap.

it was on msn auto. so i will give u a run down of replaced parts.. 3rd tranny, 3 batteries, 5 alternators, all new suspension, 3rd camber kit, 4th set of brakes, 3rd set of rotors, 2nd set of calipers, 3 mufflers, second exhust now stainless, second exhust manifold, new door skins, new seats, new roof liner, new dash, new hood, new intake, 3rd set of headlights, 3rd set of fog lights, had the leaking rear passenger side of trunk fixed, had that car painted 7 times and they still got it wrong. third timing belt, third set of upper and lower rad hoses, 2nd thermostat. and 52 oil changes... cha cha cha..

Last edited by instalher; 07-28-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Damn.. That's a lot.. How long have you had your car? I've had my car since July of 2002 and I haven't had that much go wrong with it.. Almost everything I've replaced on my car is because I wanted to or had to because I messed it up myself during installation/modification.
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

it was on msn auto. so i will give u a run down of replaced parts.. 3rd tranny, 3 batteries, 5 alternators, all new suspension, 3rd camber kit, 4th set of brakes, 3rd set of rotors, 2nd set of calipers, 3 mufflers, second exhust now stainless, second exhust manifold, new door skins, new seats, new roof liner, new dash, new hood, new intake, 3rd set of headlights, 3rd set of fog lights, had the leaking rear passenger side of trunk fixed, had that car painted 7 times and they still got it wrong. third timing belt, third set of upper and lower rad hoses, 2nd thermostat. and 52 oil changes... cha cha cha..
What do you do with your car, man?? Seriously, that's ****ed. I find it almost impossible to believe that you're driving it as Honda intended and having all of that go wrong - there's more to this story that just Honda's build quality, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Damn.. That's a lot.. How long have you had your car? I've had my car since July of 2002 and I haven't had that much go wrong with it.. Almost everything I've replaced on my car is because I wanted to or had to because I messed it up myself during installation/modification.
Same here. For my '04, I've:
- replaced the battery (by choice - winters are hard up here)
- repaired some paint chips (highway driving),
- wetsanded headlights (again, weather and driving conditions, not Honda)
- new rotors/pads all around (one OEM pad was starting to squeak, so I swapped everything all at once)

I think that's about it.
Old 07-28-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Replaced an engine(by choice)
Replaced alternator twice
Water pump (by choice)
Head gasket
Thermostat twice
plugs multiple
clutch (by choice)
Rear bumper twice (accidents)
Headlights (by choice)
timing belt (by choice)
Battery
Rotors (by choice)

I love my EM2! For being on the top 10 worst, it sure runs good for me! I've owned a few Honda's, Acura's and the only one that beats this car overall was my 91 Acura Integra.
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

it was on msn auto. .
I think I found what you're referring to. Worst Cars of the Decade?
http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-pick...entid=23127790

This is actually a bunch of MSN Auto reviewers pointing out their most-hated cars of the last decade. One guy describes a Porsche 911 model as a "worst of the decade" because of his air conditioning preference. lol
Old 07-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Replaced due to wear and tear/component failure
-Brake Pads
-Spark Plugs
-Oil Changes/Filters
-Tires
-2nd Clutch (first clutch replaced by choice)
-Tranny Synchros
-Electric Load Detector
-Front motor mount
-O2 Sensors
-Thermostat/Coolant flush
-2nd shift **** (first replaced by choice, both replacements were RSX 5-speed *****)

Replacements due to human error/vandalism
-Passenger mirror and rear quarter panel (accident)
-2nd set of headlights (first replaced by choice, 2nd messed up taking eyelids off)
-Driver rear quarter window (someone shot it with a BB gun)
-Passenger tie rod end (Messed up threads during strut installation)
-Various plastic pieces (due to modification mishaps)
-2nd set of angel eyes (first set changed because they were blue. Second set were changed because they were hella thick and I popped the CCFL tube putting the headlight back together)

thats all I can think of at the moment.. everything else I've replaced was for modification/aesthetics

Everything else I've replaced was for modification/aesthetics
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

ashokudu is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say the 7th gen is not what you except of typical civics. I replaced all four struts, front LCA so far and freaking thing has only 141K miles on it. What I love though it gives me 38+ on the highway .

Its a stick.

ashok
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashokudu
I have to say the 7th gen is not what you except of typical civics. I replaced all four struts, front LCA so far and freaking thing has only 141K miles on it. What I love though it gives me 38+ on the highway .

Its a stick.

ashok
How long do you expect struts to last? Every strut on every manufacturers car is expected to wear out.
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
How long do you expect struts to last? Every strut on every manufacturers car is expected to wear out.
Yeah. With the potholes around here you have to change struts about every 50-80K, springs last about 100K.
Old 07-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Well, let's see the worst cases besides normal maintenance:
1) Manual tranny rebuilt (too much spinning in corners due to worng camber settings);
2) Both front axles (Same reason as above)
3) Both LCA front - one of them cracked (literally, not sure why) and changed both so i would have new bushings.
4) SRS computer - one of the modules died on me...
Besides that, nothing major on the top of my head.
In the end? Loooove the car! Does what i expect from the price i paid, but wasn't there a guy here in the forum that wanted a BMW ride from it? kkkk!
Better than that is only the 6th generation, i guess, double wishbone suspension, much lighter, etc, etc.
And the seats, aside from the rocking, are muuuch better than the Corolla or similar priced cars. 1200 miles and my back is good, Corolla seats kkilled me in 2 hours!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 07-30-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

well as far as how long i have owned this car bought new and since day one.. it has giving me grief since then. i reported the water leak right away, and the fuel gauge readings and the erratic idel, and they gave it back each time no fault found.humm figure that out.. i got the same song and dance with the tranny making noise at 87000km they told me dont worry about it..umm no please fix.. 1700.00 bucks later and a completly rebuilt tranny, my alt. went at 53000km i asked for a good will alt. guess what they said.... bite me.... ya honda service does suck... as far as driving the car. well i drive it like its the last car i will ever own.. so never has the tach gone over 5000rpm, only the best motor oil, ngk double irridium platinum plugs, borla stainless exhust, brembo calipers, hawk pads, brembo rotors, dc sport muffler, aim cold air intake, kyb suspension, sprint springs, agx camber kit f/r. when something goes i replace it with a part that i trust wont break next week, so my upgrades, while expensive make the car now worth something and its very reliable.
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

...my alt. went at 53000km i asked for a good will alt. guess what they said.... bite me.... ya honda service does suck...
FYI-usually somewhere in every city is a guy who rebuilds alternators, starters, etc. Next time that happens, go find that guy. btw-the guy here charges $25 for a rebuilt alt.

Last edited by lazlong; 07-30-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well as far as how long i have owned this car bought new and since day one.. it has giving me grief since then. i reported the water leak right away, and the fuel gauge readings and the erratic idel, and they gave it back each time no fault found.humm figure that out.. i got the same song and dance with the tranny making noise at 87000km they told me dont worry about it..umm no please fix.. 1700.00 bucks later and a completly rebuilt tranny, my alt. went at 53000km i asked for a good will alt. guess what they said.... bite me.... ya honda service does suck... as far as driving the car. well i drive it like its the last car i will ever own.. so never has the tach gone over 5000rpm, only the best motor oil, ngk double irridium platinum plugs, borla stainless exhust, brembo calipers, hawk pads, brembo rotors, dc sport muffler, aim cold air intake, kyb suspension, sprint springs, agx camber kit f/r. when something goes i replace it with a part that i trust wont break next week, so my upgrades, while expensive make the car now worth something and its very reliable.
I remember one of your previous posts...
You prolly got one from a bad batch, likely... Try to see what good mechanics you find out there in OKC (that's where you are from, right?)
Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

mililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nice

So far, I've not had any real problems with my 2001 LX. I bought it brand new, and I've only had scheduled maintenance stuff done and a window regulator cable that broke. It has 110k miles on it. I don't expect it to last much longer, but who knows?

The best thing about the car is the fuel economy. I always get 44 mpg on the highway for long trips (over 300 miles). I average 65 mph too. The fuel economy is accurate, since I use mileage and gas at the pump to do the calculation. So far, it has been a really reliable car. Got rear ended once, got towed, no major damage. When the tranny gives, which I'm expecting, I might just dump it and buy a new car. It's too bad, though, cause I was hoping to get 250k miles out of it.
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

my mechanic loves me. i have dropped on average 199 per month getting things done there. but that also includes new rims every yr and new rubber twice a yr.. toyo proxy 4 235/40 zr 17. last month was 250 for 4 new plugs. synthetic oil change and new o2 sensor.. and one new spark plug wire, shorted out as i wash my motor once a month.
Old 12-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, let me see... besides all the maintenance stuff (Spark plugs etc.) I've replaced:

Thermostat
Head Gasket

I think thats it. Still running on the original battery. I will break 100k miles this week.
Old 12-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

New battery a month ago for the winter
and at 95k... hope i can get to below 110k before i get back to TN... (it will be a 1200 mile trip and kind of trying to decide if i wait to get back to work on the garage or simply get the car to a shop to replace the timing belt...) this will be tricky...
Old 12-22-2010
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

-3rd tranny, If its auto, then I could see this... but many people make the tranny last with a tranny cooler
-3 batteries, 5 alternators- you must have an ICE system that is causing this- I was rocking the stock battery n alternator for 9 years.
-all new suspension, 50k ago they said my struts were leaking n were going to go... that was 50k ago. I saved 1k not listening to them
-3rd camber kit, I've never seen a broken camber kit
-4th set of brakes, brakes wear out over time, but I just replaced mine for the second time, 110k into it.
-3rd set of rotors, You must be running your brakes down to the rivets or getting junk stuck between your pads and rotors that are causing this
-2nd set of calipers, HOW?
-3 mufflers, HOW?
-second exhust now stainless, HOW?
-second exhust manifold, did it crack? Thats why people warm their cars up before they drive them
-new door skins, new seats, new roof liner, new dash- thats all interior. If you care for your interior then there shouldnt be any problems. Did you paint your interior and decide you wanted it stock- i dont see how
-new hood, Carwashes much?
-new intake, You must have broke this yourself.. its THICK plastic
-3rd set of headlights, Carwashes much?
-3rd set of fog lights, These are an option, the OEM ones are glass n hard to break, ebay ones crack easy.. but they are 6 inches from the road, they will
had the leaking rear passenger side of trunk fixed- that involves twisting a rubber stopper
-had that car painted 7 times and they still got it wrong. Where the hell are you taking it...
-third timing belt, 300k+ miles?
-third set of upper and lower rad hoses, really...
-2nd thermostat- I replaced mine once too
-and 52 oil changes... Thats a lot.

You gotta be kidding.. if I listened to the dealer everytime I rolled through I would have replaced as much stuff as you too... I dont see a reason to replace everything, so often...
Old 12-22-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

edit
Old 12-22-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

This thread is closed for two reasons: there is already a thread where people compare the problems they've had with 7th gens, there's no need for a second; the op's car is heavily modified and he needs to except a loss of reliability with that, your list is hardly reflective of a stock 7th gen.

I've never replaced a single part on my 2002 Si outside of basic maintenance, and I get close to 50mpg.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-22-2010 at 03:21 AM.