Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Anyone can help with my interior rattle, PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
erikku is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone can help with my interior rattle, PLEASE!

Dear everyone,

I have just bought my 2k2 civic 2 weeks ago. The driver side air vent area make a "click click" rattling noise. I have noticed Ronin said that it is from the A-pillar and an insulating foam could be used to fix it. However, the thread that was referring abt was deleted. Could anyone please tell me abt the method? Moreover, my glovebox area is also making a rattling noise and it is much louder......any idea abt this?

THANKS for your help!

^_^
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Before you do any work yourself take the car to the dealer with your complants. Even if they don't fix them the first time, at least you have them documented.
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Or you could simply extend your hand....open palm and smack the hell out of the piece that is making noise...worked for my door panels!
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Even if you do something to get the rattles to quiet, The rattles will come back no matter what you do. Even ACURA's have rattles. it's just the way these cars are built.
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
complain to the dealer, they should be able to do something that's what the warranty is for
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, if you want to try to fix the a-pillar rattling yourself, here are the instructions again...

Home Depot sells this water pipe insulation tubing that comes in different diameters. They're black/grey in color and made of a semi-stiff foam; they come in tubes of around 3ft and cost $0.50 or so, and are split lengthwise so that it fits like a sleeve around your water pipes at home. Get one of these tubes (I got the one with the biggest diamter cuz it gives you plenty of material to work with). This material is perfect cuz if you have a black interior, it will be unnoticeable in your car. If you have a beige interior, this may show slightly.

For the A-pillars on both sides, there is a very small gap between the dash and the plastic which covers the pillars. Cut off a small piece of foam diameter-wise, around 1/8" thick and stuff it into this small gap. Use a plastic card, like a credit card but something less important, to do the stuffing; it works great. Make sure the stuffing is tight. Keep stuffing it with an even thicker piece if it is not tight enough. The stuff can't be seen at all so don't worry about stuffing too much in there.

If there's rattling coming from where the dash meets the windshield, cut off foam pieces length-wise, around 5" long and around 3/8" thick. Find the longest screwdriver you have (the longer the better), and stuff this foam as far as it can go into the area where the dash meets the windshield, starting at one end of the dash. There is actually a slightly bigger gap towards the end where dash meets the glass so make sure to stuff it as far as it can go. It will be almost unnoticeable if you stuff it right. Repeat this for the entire length of the dash with more foam pieces. You can cut longer pieces of foam if you want, but the stuffing will be a bit harder.

This should fix most of your dashboard rattles.

Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
For a two week old car? It goes back to the dealer first.
Old 04-24-2002
EZ
Registered!!

EZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2k1 EX coupe and the something in the headliner by the moonroof rattles like whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can put my hand on the spot where it rattles and it stops .. but when i take it off I could swear there are a family of rattlesnakes in my roof...
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
best way to fix it = turn up your music! You will never hear any rattling ever again!
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

Marvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I did smack my door panel so hard I accidently cracked the panel, can anyone give me a quote?