Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

bad ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iamfob is an unknown quantity at this point
bad ride quality?

my car's ride quality is really bad. it is the stock suspension setup (2001 honda civic LX sedan)
do u think it is the height of the car or some other factors? it really make me wanna throw up after eating and driving the car cuz roads are not good in Toronto but especially i am inside my car, i will feel every single bumps. waht can i do to improve the ride quality>?
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
get better struts, thats what i plan on doing. some better tires might help too cause the firestones aint that great.
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

i am amature in suspension, so can someone teach me the stuffs i need to know.

so the 7th gen stock setup is not as good as the last gen b/c the strock strut is garbage? cuz i really hate the bumpy ride since i picked up my car new from the dealer and someone told me to change the eibach springs would solve the problem but i wasnt sure so didnt order them.

so for sure changing the strut would help? and struts are only in the front right???
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
well if u change springs u should get new struts too, if u wanna improve the ride get sport springs and some quality struts like koni or tokico. the 7th gen civics use macpherson suspension in the front and wishbone in the rear, previous models had wishbone in front and rear i believe.
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got new Yokohoma Avid H4 tires, and ride has MUCHLY improved.......... on 17" rims at that!!!

Imagine what the ride will be like on your normal wheels, with actually GOOD tires.......
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point

<< so for sure changing the strut would help? and struts are only in the front right??? >>

1) Yes, changing your struts would help get rid of the bounciness.

2) We have struts on all 4 corners, not just the front. Difference is that the front is a Macpherson strut setup, whereas the back is a double-wishbone strut setup. If you change your struts, you should change all 4 at the same time to maintain an even ride.

Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

thanks for the input man but at the moment i dont want to spend $450CDN on eibach + $850CDN on teh 4 Koni so is it ok if i put in the springs first then save up $$ and once i have enough then i get the Koni. or it is not good and should change everything the same time??

<<

<< so for sure changing the strut would help? and struts are only in the front right??? >>

1) Yes, changing your struts would help get rid of the bounciness.

2) We have struts on all 4 corners, not just the front. Difference is that the front is a Macpherson strut setup, whereas the back is a double-wishbone strut setup. If you change your struts, you should change all 4 at the same time to maintain an even ride.
>>

Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya, lots of people do that : they get springs first, then get the Konis. But some people who have kept their stock struts with new springs have encountered problems with blown struts. I think this is cuz the new spring rate is not really compatible with the stock struts. Other people have had no problems though. As long as you intend to get Konis eventually, it shouldn't be a problem for you, imo.