Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Long Crank and Won't Start After Replacing Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough
Long Crank and Won't Start After Replacing Battery

I have 2004 Honda civic EX and haven't driven the car for about 6 months. It's been sitting in my garage, so of course the battery was dead(it was 6 years old anyways). Replaced the battery and when I went to start it, the car cranks for a long time and doesn't start. I have power in the car and everything seems ok.

So, I checked for a spark from the spark plugs and yes there was spark. I pulled the ECU fuse under the hood to reset the ECU and still have the same problem starting. I checked all the fuses and they're all good. Could it be the immobilizer? Green key light flashes only when I pull key out of ignition. or something with the ECU?

I don't get it. I've never had a problem with the car before until now after it's been sitting for so long. Any thoughts guys?
Old 06-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Long Crank and Won't Start After Replacing Battery

You probably have plugged injectors due to sitting... Get them cleaned or replace them. It should solve your problem.
Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

I use chevron with techron all the time when I was driving it. Techron should keep fuel injectors clean right?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Chevron and Techron are crap. Go get your injectors cleaned hopefully it fires right up after that. One member on here bought a new engine that had been sitting for a little while and the injectors were causing a no start situation. Hopefully the same goes for you cuz it's an easy fix.
Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

I'll go do that. This thing is driving me nuts because everything else is fine. Now I got to get the car towed to the shop. Hopefully that's the problem.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-07-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah theres no way its a battery issue unless you hooked up the cables wrong or blew the main fuse. you changed out all the old gas right? i wouldnt use untreated gas that was over a month old. if it has fp-plus in there, it should be good for a year.
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

Nope didn't change out all the old gas. Don't know how I would go about doing that. We'll see when I replace the injectors.