Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Automatic Gas Door will not work

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JRunyon21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic Gas Door will not work

I am new to the website and have alrady come a long way as far as knowledge. I work in a maintenance department at a paper mill but never got into car maintenance b/c I never had the time. I was always tryin to work extra hrs so I make some money...That would in turn spend all on a mechanic to fix my car...Makes sense.

Now that overtime at work has come to a halt and the Honda dealer has recommended ~$1000 in work that needs done I am taking a go at car maintenance.

Now to the problem:
The automatic gas lid on my car stopped working about 2 yrs ago. The trunk still pops open but the gas tank will not. I have been reaching my hand into the back of the trunk to open my gas tank since it broke. I refuse to pay $240 to fix this. Now that I have discovered this forum(Thank you god) I thought it might be a good idea to get this fixed.

Questions:
If anyone has had this problem, how can I tell what is wrong. The cable? The lid flange? Something else?

How can I fix it? lol

Where is the best place to get parts for this kind of stuff? Junkyards? Online? Dealer?

Thanks in advance.

-Jason
Old 05-06-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Automatic Gas Door will not work

Is it an 01-05 ??

Have you seen the fuel door fix website (fix kit is only for 01-05)

The cables rust & break at a certain point near the release handle.
Old 05-06-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

His profile says he has a 04 VP coupe.

With that said, here's the link http://fueldoorfix.com/
Old 05-06-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I was able to pop a fdf onto a still working cable on my 05.

It's a great product, and simple solution.
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

winneconnedon is an unknown quantity at this point

Simply do not attempt to fix it. Just use a plastic card, (ie. credit, key chain cards issued by grocery stores etc.) No tools required. I have been doing this for 2 years on our 02 civic.
winneconnedon
Old 05-15-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Why not fix it for 20 dollars instead of using a card? That makes no sense, The advice "Don't fix it" is the worst advice you can give... If you take care of stuff when it happens your car won't look and run like **** five years down the road.
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

LS2Jester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
^ Why not fix it for 20 dollars instead of using a card? That makes no sense, The advice "Don't fix it" is the worst advice you can give... If you take care of stuff when it happens your car won't look and run like **** five years down the road.
I lold at this

I have the same issue, thank you for the link. First time it broke I had no gas and was sitting at the pump. Took me about three minutes to come up with the idea to pull the carpet down and try to reach the latch from the trunk.
Old 05-22-2010
Registered!!

carter is an unknown quantity at this point

my fuel door wont close.. i think the clip or something broke but the wire is still tight.. fml!