Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tire valve not working??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tire valve not working??

Hello,

During a routine psi check of my tires, I noticed while trying to inflate one of them that the psi isn't reading correctly. I've used the tire gauge that are at the gas stations and even checked it with my own gauge and I always get the same low reading; even if I put more air in! I'm scared to add anymore! :S When I put the gauge on the air valve to check its psi, air comes out when it shouldn't be. Is there a quick fix for this? What is wrong with my tire?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Tire valve not working??

Maybe check the "valve core" it is threaded into the valve stem and may have worked loose over time.

A pair of tweezers may work to get in on both sides and turn right to tighten.
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Maybe check the "valve core" it is threaded into the valve stem and may have worked loose over time.

A pair of tweezers may work to get in on both sides and turn right to tighten.
The valve core your speaking of ... is that the little pin thing that when pressed in releases air?
Old 02-24-2010

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, It is threaded in.

They make a tool for removal. The tool is a pin with a slot cut in to go over the valve core.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

I tried using tweezers but it didn't work. It feels like it's turning; but maybe the tweezers are just turning around the pin. :P I didn't know how many turns to turn it either but I turned it quite a bit. lol Either way, it's still giving me a false reading on the gauge. I double-checked the gauge to make sure it's working on another tire and it's fine.

This seems like such a relatively easy situation to fix. Am I doing something wrong? Anything else to try?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Take it back to where you got the tires and have them replace the valve. A valve is like 10 bucks at most.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

lol! That's not possible. The tire(s) came with the car when I got it about 4 years ago. :P

But a new valve may be the solution. Hmmmm...
Old 02-24-2010

You may be grabbing the pin and you need to get on either side of the l shaped bit that the pin is in the middle of. l< Pin in middle.

Turn to right until tight.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
You may be grabbing the pin and you need to get on either side of the l shaped bit that the pin is in the middle of. l< Pin in middle.

Turn to right until tight.
At first I didn't know what the heck you were talking about/wrote. lol Until I Googled this image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...em-cap_off.jpg

I would have never known about that little thing in there!! So then, yep, I was turning the pin. :P I'll give it a shot tomorrow ... too dark now. I'll get back with the results tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

listen to triz, you're better off. Triz you're from portland, i blew two tires out on highway 26 heading out towards beaverton couple weeks ago cause of faulty valve stems.
Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

Sorry for the late reply. Had some snow this past weekend. Not really car friendly. :P So the tweezer idea didn't work. The little * | * wouldn't turn at all to the right; nor could I loosen it if I wanted, either.

Anyways, I'm taking my car in for some maintenance this coming weekend so I'll get them to look at the valve and it'll probably get replaced I'm assuming. Thanks for all the help. I always like to try and fix something without spending the dough first.
Old 03-01-2010

Sounds like time for a new valve stem, you could have them check the core 1st they have the proper tool.
Old 03-08-2010
Registered!!

a new valve stem did the trick!