Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

is the door lock actuator bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mister2 is an unknown quantity at this point
is the door lock actuator bad?

When i hit the switch the door wont lock or unlock. I can lift the handle and push the indicator **** on the door sill and that will lock all the doors, But when i hit the switch the only locks in the car that will lock and unlock are the passenger front and rear doors. The rear drivers side door wont lock or unlock with any other way than doing it manually. Are the actuators bad for the front and rear drivers side doors or is there a fuse thats bad? Thanks for any input
Old 01-16-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is the door lock actuator bad?

you have all doors closed when trying the door panel switch right? it doesnt work if the driver door is open. open the panels and spray silicone inside the mechanisms. that worked for me. if you can hear noise in the door when using the power locks, it means the actuator is prolly still good. if no noise, then its dead. i doubt its a fuse but you can check.
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

RonJ will become famous soon enough

If the acuator gets battery voltage when the switch is pressed, then the actuator is almost surely bad. If it does not get power, check for a bad wire between the power lock control unit and the actuator. The most likely scenario is a bad actuator.
Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

it doesnt make any noise when the doors are shut and im in the car pushing the electric switch to lock or unlock the doors. Im sure theres a nice write up around here on how to replace the actuator, but would anyone feel nice enough to source it for me
Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

also, does the front door lock actuator being bad effect the rear door lock from working? or does this mean both are bad and I will have to replace an acuator in both the front and rear drivers side doors? thanks again!
Old 01-19-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

each door has its own actuator.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-actuator.html
Old 01-19-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would think it would make some noise when attempting, maybe not. I would maybe measure for voltage before ordering the part for the front.

I have really never heard of a rear actuator failing that I can recall.
Old 07-22-2010
Registered!!

kurtdaniel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mister2
When i hit the switch the door wont lock or unlock. I can lift the handle and push the indicator **** on the door sill and that will lock all the doors, But when i hit the switch the only locks in the car that will lock and unlock are the passenger front and rear doors. The rear drivers side door wont lock or unlock with any other way than doing it manually. Is the door lock actuator bad for the front and rear drivers side doors or is there a fuse thats bad? Thanks for any input
its a bad door lock actuator..A few years ago, my driver side door lock control stopped working. I paid dealer like $650 for a new module replacement.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 07-22-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

Gary Jay is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2002 Honda Civic 2 door with a lock problem. I've read all of this thread and would appreciate if you could help me hone in a little more on what my issue may be. The facts:

1) Press FOB and lights flash, but neither door locks or unlocks.

2) Press switch inside and the passenger door locks and unlocks but NOT the drivers door.

My confusion. It seems from this that the passenger actuator is fine as it works with the manual switches. But it does not function with the FOB even though the lights flash (so it seems to be getting the lock/unlock signal from the keyless entry.) The driver door actuator seems bad because it doesn't work no matter what. Does the driver door actuator malfunction have anything to do with the keyless entry operating the passenger door? Thanks for your help!