Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel pump not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
walshie is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel pump not working

I have a 2001 Honda Civic 1.7L coupe. The fuel pump stopped making the normal buzzing sound when I first turn the ignition. Since then, I've replaced the fuel pump and PGM-FI main relay No. 2 (The blue one behind the glove box). In addition, I also checked the 15a fuse for the fuel pump located in the fuse box under the steering wheel. Its still not working and I'm totally lost on what I can check next.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.
Steve
Old 11-16-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fuel pump not working

could be a problem with the immobilizer security system. does the green key light flash on the gauges when you try to start it?
Old 11-16-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What does the green light in the dash shaped like a key do when ignition is turned on to position II ?? (immobilizer system light) it should come on solid for about 3 seconds and then go off.

If you put your fingers on the blue relay you replaced can you feel or hear a click from it when key 1st turned to position II ??
Old 11-16-2009
Registered!!

The green key light comes on for approx 3 seconds then proceeds to just blink.

When I put my finger on the relay, I believe I can feel a slight click when the key is turned to position II.
Old 11-17-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Well... The flashing key icon is indicating a immobilizer issue.

This is a quote: "If the wrong key has been used or the code was not recieved or recognized by the unit, the indicator will come on for about 2 seconds, then blink until the ignition switch is turned off."
Old 11-17-2009
Registered!!

Thanks. I've been using the same set of keys since I bought the car. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem? Or is it time to call a tow company and have my local Honda Mechanic look into?

Originally Posted by CraigW
Well... The flashing key icon is indicating a immobilizer issue.

This is a quote: "If the wrong key has been used or the code was not recieved or recognized by the unit, the indicator will come on for about 2 seconds, then blink until the ignition switch is turned off."
Old 11-17-2009

You may contact the dealer and explain what happened and also contact some locksmiths ( the keyshop near me has a outside banner sign about transponder keys) Someone may be able to explain what can and cannot be done by whom.
Old 11-17-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

try a different key if you have a spare. otherwise key will prolly need to be replaced and reprogrammed, or immobilizer may need replacing.
Old 11-20-2009
Registered!!

djaemac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walshie
I have a 2001 Honda Civic 1.7L coupe. The fuel pump stopped making the normal buzzing sound when I first turn the ignition. Since then, I've replaced the fuel pump and PGM-FI main relay No. 2 (The blue one behind the glove box). In addition, I also checked the 15a fuse for the fuel pump located in the fuse box under the steering wheel. Its still not working and I'm totally lost on what I can check next.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.
Steve
im having the EXACT same issue.
i had a blown fuel pump fuse at first, so i changed it and i heard the humming noise again. Car started right up and i turned it off and tried to restart it again, but it wouldn't. No more humming noise again and this time i think i fried the fuel pump relay. What the hell is causing this.
Old 11-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by djaemac
im having the EXACT same issue.
i had a blown fuel pump fuse at first, so i changed it and i heard the humming noise again. Car started right up and i turned it off and tried to restart it again, but it wouldn't. No more humming noise again and this time i think i fried the fuel pump relay. What the hell is causing this.
I finally broke down and had my car towed to my local dealership to diagnose the issue and it seems the ECM has to be replaced. They want $1000+ cdn for the ECM and installation!!!!

What blows my mind is I had this same unit replaced in 2004, so this would be the 3rd ECM for this car.

With that said, anyone out there have an ECM for sale - (Part #: 37820-PLM-C03).

djaemac
When my car originally started acting up, it was doing the same thing. One minute it would work (fuel pump would kick in) and then the car would cut out. Would give it an hour or so and try again. The car would start then cut out. Finally, it just didn't work at all. I however didn't have a blown fuse for the fuel pump like you did.
Old 11-24-2009
Premium Member

check your alternator ground if you keep blowing ecus. and you should be able to find one for $100 on ebay usually or junkyard.
Old 11-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
check your alternator ground if you keep blowing ecus. and you should be able to find one for $100 on ebay usually or junkyard.
I found one at a local scrap yard for $150 cdn. Hoping this will finally solve the issue.

I will also run by the service dept your suggestion regarding the alternator ground.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-27-2009
Registered!!

The part I ordered (37820-PLM-C03) did not get done in time and I missed out. After speaking with my dealer, they told me any of the following part numbers will be ok (37820-PLM-C03, 37820-PLM-C01 or 37820-PLM-C02). I've lost any bit of faith I've had in my local dealership and just wanted to confirm with anyone on this site that they are correct that any of the above part numbers will work.

Thanks again!