Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'02 Civic crazy electrical problems...won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASeelyOkc13 is an unknown quantity at this point
'02 Civic crazy electrical problems...won't start.

Ok here it goes.

First of all I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX. Car is a standard. Has about 101,000 miles on it. Aftermarket CD player, Rockford 10" Sub, and amp. I have a alarm with keyless entry. Here is the problem.

Went to leave this morning and car started. Had to come back inside, went back out to leave and when I went to start it I heard a rapid clicking 3-5 times and the dash lights flickered and then the alarm started beeping a lot. Sounded like someone wrote a symphony and the alarm beeps was the instrument. I got out and looked under the hood and to make the alarm shut up I disconnected the wire that went to the alarm horn/speaker or whatever its called. That shut it up. Soooo, after that I tried starting the car again, and nothing. I got no accessories, no radio, no anything. Metered the battery, got 12 volts. Checked most of the fuses, they look good.

So after a couple of hours I came back to my car and hooked the wires I took apart up and then hooked the battery back up and instantly the alarm started going off. By the way my alarm buttons didn't work at all. Anyway took wires off after alarm was going off again. Now when I just open the door without having the key in, the lights flicker, and the car beeps like I have the key in. Still no accessories or radio. Bought a Honda book and started to check out the starter motor and such, but I didn't want to end up with a torn apart car and forget how to put it back together. Not enough knowledge to troubleshoot myself.

I looked at some other posts with similar problems, but I think those solutions won't solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '02 Civic crazy electrical problems...won't start.

it seems like a simple battery problem. its prolly a dead battery, even if its reading 12v, it may not have enough amps to turn the starter. you need to get it load tested at auto store if you can take the battery there. if the battery checks fine, which i doubt, then you can look to other causes like a siezed starter motor. you can tap the starter a few times with a hammer and see if it pops loose the turbine inside and try to start again. and try to jump start the car with another battery. since you have so many things going wrong, my bet is on the battery. or a loose battery clamp, or a worn or loose ground wire from battery to chassis.
Old 10-03-2009
Registered!!

tinnguyen123 is an unknown quantity at this point

um.. have you try to use the unlock key from your alarm..? or if you did... try to set the remote to pair with the alarm again because its probably reset when you take off the battery.. if your horn go off on you.. pull out the relay.. its probably under the hood in a black box (it is in my hybrid civic).. and try to re-paired the remote..

the reason why you probably can't get your car to start is because your alarm is LOCKING your car up.. like its in "someone is try to jack me" mode..

i didn't know this before but when you pull out battery from car alarm.. and put the battery back.. the alarm would go off on you.. when i try putting lights in my GF accord.. this exactly problem happen.. i even pull the horn relay because i didn't know what was going on.. AND she never told me she have an alarm.. !!!!! so i was like so depressed because i wreck her car.. then i went in.. ask her.. "do you have an alarm in your car..?" she goes.. "i think".. so she went home look for the remote.. and simply press unlock.. and the car was normal... she never use alarm because she think it wasted battery.. >.<

Last edited by tinnguyen123; 10-03-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2009
Registered!!

ASeelyOkc13 is an unknown quantity at this point

The battery was baaad!! Thanks for the help. Tricky tricky battery tried to trick me into taking my car apart. Shame on that battery, now its off to be disposed of. That'll teach it! Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you mean recycled lol. almost every battery turned in goes back to the factory for service and gets sold again as new. unless you plan on tossing it in the dump, which i hope not. anyway glad it got fixed.