Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing AC button bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slickone is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing AC button bulbs

The dash lighting bulbs (not the on/off LED's) that light up my AC and air recirculate buttons are burned out. Do I have to remove the console to get that radio/HVAC panel out? I'm guessing there are screws that will be uncovered after removing the console?
Does anyone have any other tips to remove it without breaking anything?
Old 09-17-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Replacing AC button bulbs

You have to remove the audio/hvac pod to access the bulbs. The screws are behind the acc outlet panel. Look for audio install threads.

The 2 part #s are 39397-SA5-003 & 79609-S5A-003, for the bulbs.
Old 09-17-2009
Registered!!

I'd like to get the bulbs before taking it all apart. Which bulbs go where?
Are they dealer only?
Old 09-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

pretty much yeah. they come with the bulb and the screw-on base. its only $1-2 each tho and worth it unless you wanna fiddle with looking for similar bulbs at the auto store and installing them to the old base. might be different brightness tho or sizes. and prolly just as expensive. the bottom three buttons have two bulbs total, the ones with long white base. the side dials also have two bulbs, with short grey base. if i were you, just replace all 4 bulbs so you wont have to take it apart again when the others burn. chances are they wont last much longer.
Old 09-18-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I have 5 new bulbs ready to go the next time the unit comes out (my recirc & ac bulb is out as well)

The bulb for the recirc/ac should be the 79609-S5A-003 it has the tall white socket.

If anyone need the hazard switch bulb # it is 35871-S3N-901

They will cost you $3-$4 each.
Old 09-18-2009
Registered!!

I don't understand how there are 2 bulbs for the 3 bottom buttons (recirc/AC/defog), unless there's a bulb halfway in between each of the 3, but if that were the case, how is it that I have 2 buttons completely dark and 1 fully lit?

What was 39397-SA5-003 for that you listed earlier, Craig?
Yeah, dealer bulbs are never "only $1-2 each".
Old 09-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

correct. one bulb is for one button, the second bulb is for the other two buttons.
Old 01-19-2014
Registered!!

Scouter2P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming the recirc and defog share one bulb since they're the same color with the AC having it's own bulb. Anyone know if that's the correct assumption?
Old 01-20-2014

Originally Posted by CraigW
The bulb for the recirc/ac should be the 79609-S5A-003 it has the tall white socket.
Yes, 3 buttons 2 bulbs.

I would do them all at once.